GOTM 103 Spoiler

Peaster

Emperor
Egyptians, Diety, Large Map, Restarts ON, 4 other civs (this was not announced, but I only saw 4 others in my game). I like to play for conquest, but not so much with restarts on. I am playing though - maybe GOTM 102 hooked me again.

Briefly, my early game went badly when I popped a hut before monarchy and got warrior code. And then I barely missed getting monarchy in an oedo year, which prolonged Egyptian despotism to 1450BC ... ugggh. But I did not stop making cities, and managed to get the civ back on track by about 700BC. There was no combat until 120AD when I sneak attacked Babylon, which had 3 defenders and the Great Wall. By a stroke of luck, I had no losses there, and the rest has been fairly routine. It is 320AD and I expect to finish around 500-600AD, depending on the restarts. Here are a few highlights:

4000 BC: Thebes (1).

3900 BC: Memphis (2)

3800 BC: Hut = 50g

3100 BC: 4th city, finishing Bronze Working

2950 BC: Hut = WC. Arrrrgh! I hear that some players refuse to pop huts before Monarchy, if it might mess up their tech plans. My gut feeling is that huts are too valuable to pass up, and I pop em, but I don't know the right answer on this. This hurt.

2750 BC: Hut = Archer. Another tech here would have saved me, by putting monarchy back into the good 2/3's. But after Code of Laws, I had to choose Currency.

1450 BC: Despotism to Monarchy.

1050 BC: Babs build Pyramids (and 2 AI civs are working on Col). This is a sign that my civ stinks - I have just gotten Trade [and switched to Pottery] and have barely started thinking about WoWs. I will have to build MPE first, to get Pottery quickly, to build HG, to keep the rabble happy.

1000 BC: Stats: Monarchy, 15 cities, no WoWs, no attack units, am working on vans.

925 BC: MPE, and the talks went well ... I got Pottery, etc, and all 4 maps.

850 BC: HG.

675 BC: LH, approx 20 cities. The 3 recent WoWs slowed growth, of course. In hindsight, I am not sure LH was needed so early on this map, but I think it paid for itself by speeding up colonization and trade. Also, I had 2 flotillas ready to go by approx 675 BC.

600 BC: US builds Colossus. For some reason, this map was not good for Hides, so I didn't mind the lossus of Colossus.

550 BC: I am preparing several outposts on a wide peninsula near the Babs, when a Bab horseman triggers a barb explosion there. I have to put 3-4 settlers back on their boats and move on, which may have actually been a good thing. More expansion = good. First van = 144g.

525 BC: Another tech glitch ... after Philosophy, I wanted HBR/Poly, to get my conquest started, but had to choose Republic/HBR.

425 BC: Luckily, the Germans discovered HBR and traded it to me.

Approx 400 BC: Babs build GW. This can be very bad news for a conquest player [eg recent discussion with CharlieChuck]. And it was in the Bab capital, which was already huge (size 7 or 8), but at least it was not on a river ! I decided I could bring in approx 8-10 vet crusaders and expect success. Since Babylon also housed the Pyramids, this became Egypt #1 priority.

I have approx 35 cities, with quite a few near Babylon.

300 BC: Poly -> Mono.

275 BC: 2 decent vans deliver, and I can afford 2 overseas barracks.

225 BC: Lucky hut ! Monotheism ! Now, we can turn it up.

125 BC: Unlucky hut ! Feudalism ! Well, this isn't TOO bad, since it allows Sun Tzu, but it hurts RBing and introduces pikemen into the game. In my past games, the AIs have often managed to steal/etc this tech from me, which is a big pain for crusaders.

When I wrote the conquest guide, I generally liked Feudalism, but my opinion on this has changed.

25 BC: A very nice van, 456g to Babylon.

1 AD: Stats = Monarchy, 57 cities, 3 WoWs, have 18S, 7 cru, 17tri, 7v, etc. Am almost ready to attack Babylon, but cannot provoke a war. Have 26 techs.

20 AD: US builds GL.

80 AD: I've been demanding tribute from all the AI. Finally the Germans declare war. Vans bring Egyptian accounts up to 1000g.

100 AD: Babs still won't declare war, but they are caught stealing, which is just as good. They lose 5 units near Babylon this turn. This ended a nasty pattern - whenever I demanded tribute, the Babs withdrew all their units [I had lots of cities near them], and most of those went into Babylon, unfortunately.

Also, I built Sun Tzu, made peace with Rome for 200g, and bribed Veii from barbs for about 100g.

120 AD: An Egyptian diplomat reports that Babylon is defended by an Archer, Phalanx and a Warrior, all behind the GW. Egypt attacks, with approx 10 crusaders at hand, but suffers no losses. Egypt takes the Pyramids [which only seems right] and the GW. We then agree to a cease fire for 300g (hoping to return to war ASAP).

The GW is probably a bit underrated in conquest games. I usually don't build it myself, but when I get it from an AI, it makes outposting so much easier.

160 AD: German capital, Berlin, goes down.

240 AD: German civ goes down, respawns as French, way way way to the South.

280 AD: Washington down. I felt I had to sneak attack the Babs and US, because I had a large gang of idle crusaders on that continent, and demands for tribute weren't working (though I usually aim for a perfect rep). Egyptian settlers had already patched together the Bab/US road networks, so the conquest was very fast. I am still cleaning up the last Bab/US cities and/or using them for trade.

320 AD: The rest should be fairly routine. I am almost ready for Rome. I have been struggling to get decent units [crusaders] into the distant French zone, and had a bit of luck this turn - an explorer popped a hut not too far away, and got a crusader. So, I can probably attack Paris with at least 2 crusaders soon enough.

Postscipt: The game turned out approx as expected, or maybe a bit earlier. Main events =

* A hut gave Navigation. I built Magellan [and a few caravels] very quickly, which sped up the usual restart hunt quite a bit. Also, I used my favorite anti-restart method [killing zones] in this game, which worked well. There were approx 8-10 restarts, which is probably about average, or maybe a bit low.

* Another explorer popped a hut, and got a crusader near a distant restart [Chinese, IIRC], and that crusader destroyed the Chinese. This story actually happened twice in my game.

* Yet another hut gave Magnetism, cancelling LH. So, my triremes (about 50) started dropping like flies. But the game was almost over, so this had no real effect on the result.

* To save RL time, I "turned off" the northern hemisphere (eg put most units there into sleep mode, and did no rush-buys there) in 400ad. I guess there was a small cost in GOTM score, but it did make the game go much faster, and I doubt it had any effect on the conquest date.

Civ2 is just gold! After, hm, let's say three years of abstinence, i decided to start again with Civ2 and what's better than good old GOTM. But I have to confess that I won't send in my results because it was my second try on that game.

I went for early conquest, of course, and things developed pretty good. Found some advanced tribes + mona (2300BC) + trade (1750BC) from huts so I could build MPE in 1600BC (at this time i was thinking about switching to early landing). Heading straight forward for poly (who needs mono...) and got it at 1250BC. I captured Babylon in 850BC. Thats pretty early. But my production and eco were really bad at this time (actually they were bad the whole game). I was never able to build up a huge force to steamroll a civ in 2-3 turns, just sent 2-3 tiremes full of elis to see what will happen. Since the americans were the only ones with feuda, things were still looking good.
But the romans got me. Blinded by the greed to finish this damn game bevor 1AD I just kept sending small forces to "save time" and, what a suprise, I killed my brave elis one by one :goodjob: .
Nevertheless, a good amount of luck with the respawns still allowed me a very good ending by conquest in 160AD.

I still think, a BC ending is possible. And I would love to see someone play this for early landing. I'm really bad at ELG.

Hey ! Welcome back, Hexer ! Sounds like you had a nice game.

I agree that a BC victory is possible, with enough good luck with huts, and restarts. But on such a large map [and Diety], I doubt there is any plan that can guarantee a BC victory from the start.

My game was pretty unlucky overall, so I was happy to finish in the 500AD era.

Jap, there isn't a masterplan for a BC victory because it depends so much on luck. I decided to push out as early as i can with 12 cities (4 tiremes + elis) and never really build more (cities). Thats what I meant with bad production+eco. At the end i had something like 20 tir/30 elis (after suiciding about 10 elis in rome).

I think i will restart the game to give it a ELG try, although there is no purple civ.

Tried this as an OCC using the original starting location. 4 specials, but no rivers seemed like a possibility, but 3 and some rivers would have been much better with hindsight. Game stated okay, but a little slow due to lack of neighbours, so went for MP to enable diplomacy. Things picked up after this for a time, until I got all three trade routes blocked, and for some reason the "wonder bread" trick didn't seem to release them at all. This really hampered my game and the Germans / Romans kept messing up the Key Civ tricks I tried to play through diplomacy too. Babylonians and Americans ended up with vast empires and often gifted gold to their inadequate one-city neighbour. I won the space race in the end, but long, long after you guys would have given up hope. If my slightly late entry makes it into the offical results list, expect to see me propping up the bottom of the table. It's amazing how many tricks you forget when not playing for nearly 5 years... They soon come back though (too late for this game).

Top Bottom