LK170, China, CCM, True Communists

LKendter

Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!!
Supporter
4000 BC (0)
I started the typical CCM worker houses.

China is rough for a first tech. There is nothing I can research in the second tier.
(IT) Next up is a scout. I don’t plan to build a lot of these.

3400 BC (12)
I contact Mongolia to soon. I don’t like seeing a settler already.

3350 BC (13)
Carthage completed their UW.

3300 BC (14)
Babylon completed their UW.

3200 BC (16)
I contacted the Inca. No reasonable trades are available.

3000 BC (20)
(IT) The Dutch completed the Colossus.

2950 BC (21)
I sent the Inca coffee, $130 and $6/T for pottery.

2900 BC (22)
I contacted Persia. I give them coffee for $37 and $5/T.
(IT) Nubia completes their UW.

2850 BC (23)
(IT) Greece completed their UW.
Arabia completed Stonehenge.

2800 BC (24)
Shanghai was founded.

2750 BC (25)
I contacted Israel. No trades are possible.

2630 BC (28)
Elephants are connected. They have no trade value currently.

2550 BC (30)
I contacted Korea.

2350 BC (35)
I contacted Indochina.
I also contacted Lowland. I give them warrior code and $56 for *4* workers.
(IT) Japan completed the Temple of Artemis.

2270 BC (38)
(IT) The Dutch establish an embassy with us.

2230 BC (39)
I contacted Canada.
(IT) South Africa completed the Pyramids.
Persia completed their UW.

2150 BC (41)
Our exploring warrior survived an enslaver attack.

2110 BC (42)
I gave the Inca coffee and $238 for bronze working. I can finally start building spears.

1950 BC (45)
Canton was founded.
(IT) An exploring warrior was killed by an enslaver.

1910 BC (46)
Israel completes Solomon’s Temple.

1870 BC (47)
I contact Russia. They are way ahead. They want elephants. I gave them elephants and $54 for iron working. There is no visible iron.
I give Israel iron working and $216 for sail and wheel. We have visible horses. The next city site is decided.
I begin research on naval warfare. At least we are now researching a second-tier tech.
I give Mongolia wheel, sail and iron working. I gain polytheism and the pain to get tech of city-state. :dance:
Royal Stable is due next turn. It will be nice to get some free units.
(IT) I finally lost an exploring scout. I’m amazed they both lasted this long.

1830 BC (48)
:sleep:

1790 BC (49)
(IT) Babylon completes the Oracle.

1750 BC (50)
I give Russia coffee, $150 and $19/T for mysticism.
I give Israel mysticism and $5/T for writing.
The above trades have us close in tech. For being Sid, that is all I can ask for at this point.
[End of session 1]

The start of our empire.

The powerhouse capital.

The next city site. It needs culture to get the horses online.

Summary:
There isn’t much to comment on yet. Just keep exploring, and look for trade chances.

LK170
ROSTER:
LKendter
Jersey Joe (up)
Elephantium (on deck)
Greebley

Attachments

• LK170-1750BC.SAV
    674.2 KB · Views: 10
On my machine, Beijing threatens to riot -- 4 happy, 1 content, 5 unhappy.

I'm also not seeing the CCM-specific main menu background -- it's the default game menu background. I'm a little concerned that I applied Flintlock incorrectly or messed up my CCM installation.

I installed C3X_R16 into my Conquests folder
I removed Civ3Conquests.exe
I copied @Civinator 's default.c3x_config.ini from the LK169 thread into C3X_R16
Then I ran INSTALL.bat in C3X_R16 (just double-clicked it)
Finally, I ran the game.

Before posting here, I deleted the altered Civ3Conquests.exe and re-ran INSTALL.bat
I also noticed that the game showed the entire map and specified "DEBUG - civname - Despotism" in the control panel in the lower right when starting a new game. I had multiple versions of conquests.biq:

* From 8/28/2006, 30kb (I think this is what shipped with the gog.com download)
* From 12/20/2019, 1059kb (CCM biq)
* From 9/21/2022, 143kb (also in my Downloads folder with Debug in the name)

I'm not sure if I should be more worried that I screwed up CCM or Flintlock :think:

lurker's comment: Can confirm, same happiness issue, but then again I also don't have the CCM-specific main menu, and looking at the .zip file I have for 2.50, the menu background that's included is the default one, not the CCM-specific one.

Though I'm not sure if you installed C3X properly, since you don't need to remove the Civ3Conquests.exe, just run the INSTALL.bat. Though I suppose you're supposed to change the original Civ3Conquets.exe for the one from CCM, but then you're supposed run the INSTALL.bat on that.

Then again, I feel like the happiness issue is not related to C3X anyhow

EDIT: Wait a minute, could it be that the happiness got recalculated after loading the save game? You traded away the last Coffee on the last turn, so could it be that the happy faces weren't recalculated to take the effect of losing the luxury?

I'm also not seeing the CCM-specific main menu background -- it's the default game menu background. I'm a little concerned that I applied Flintlock incorrectly or messed up my CCM installation.
This is normal for a game started with the GOG version of Civ 3 Complete and the Flintlock exe. For me it is the same and it shouldn´t be a problem for playing the game.
I also noticed that the game showed the entire map and specified "DEBUG - civname - Despotism" in the control panel in the lower right when starting a new game. I had multiple versions of conquests.biq
This is a big problem for the game. It mostly appears when a game is started in Debug Mode and cannot be changed during the complete game. It is no fun to see the complete map in Debug Mode when playing an epic game and the Debug Mode opens the door wide for any kind of cheating, as it is a tool for the development of C3C mods and scenarios. I cannot say if this is caused by the save game editor as I never used a save game editor.

At present I cannot say, if this problem is connected to the R16 version of the Flintlock mod, as I made all my current testgames for CCM 2.6 with the R16 preview exe and here I found no problems. I think it is time to update to the R16 version myself in my testgames and to have a look what will happen there, but in the past the updates of the Flintlock mod didn´t trigger any problems to the updated exe. :think:

I'm also not seeing the CCM-specific main menu background -- it's the default game menu background. I'm a little concerned that I applied Flintlock incorrectly or messed up my CCM installation
I noticed the main load menu changing 1 or 2 games ago and found when I installed the Flintlock patch the graphic being used was the orignal one not the CMM one. I replaced that graphioc with a CCM2 one that I edited to show I was running 2.51f :)

Good thing you mentioned needing the new Flintlock Patch, I need to update my patch. :blush:

I got it.

Couple of questions:
If I get Construction, is it alright to build the Great Wall and start our golden age?
Any reason I should not build the 5 Year Plan (4 turns 75% increase in shields) instead of Slavery (2 turns 25% increase in shields)?

Good thing you mentioned needing the new Flintlock Patch, I need to update my patch. :blush:

I also need to get the new Flintlock. I have a note to do that.

Couple of questions:
If I get Construction, is it alright to build the Great Wall and start our golden age?
Any reason I should not build the 5 Year Plan (4 turns 75% increase in shields) instead of Slavery (2 turns 25% increase in shields)?

Instant Great Wall is fine. We are out of despotism.

I was building slavery to get the missing shield for a faster harbor. Beijing gains +3 food with the harbor.

Another game thought: We don't have to spread out our small wonders. Since every city has a barracks, there is no advantage with placement. We could take advantage of Beijing's high shields, and put them all there.

Nota Bene:
I noticed that the "default.c3x_config.ini" that Civinator supplied us for flintlock patch R16 has 1 notable difference from what we used for LK169, that is:
Under Engine Extensions, the flag for being able to settle next to a foreign city.
The supplied "default.c3x_config.ini" file has it set as: disallow_founding_next_to_foreign_city = true However, we have been using it set to false to allow us to settle next to foreign cities.
Good news, I changed the flag to false and in a test case, using LK170, I could settle next to a foreign city. So in the "default.c3x_config.ini" I am using the setting
disallow_founding_next_to_foreign_city = false

I was building slavery to get the missing shield for a faster harbor. Beijing gains +3 food with the harbor.
Good point, after I poseted I was thinking about how long it would take to build both Slavery and Five Year Plan and it might be a turn quicker if I do Slavery first, throw in the Harbor and looks like Slavery -> harbor -Five Year Plan might be the way to go.
Another game thought: We don't have to spread out our small wonders. Since every city has a barracks, there is no advantage with placement. We could take advantage of Beijing's high shields, and put them all there.
I like that idea, with the exception that corruption reducing wonders should be spread around. The free unit ones might also be an exception to be built asap.

I believe I have Flintlock V16 installed correctly.

My game also shows Beijing unhappy. It is due to my trading the last coffee away to Russia. Since that trade helped our tech position, it was well worth it.

Last edited:
I gave them elephants and $54 for iron working. There is no visible iron.
I found some Iron (it is 10 or 11 unroaded tiles away) on the coast in the Tunda forest, but the Horses are closer.
I plan to build to a town to the horses first then start roading to Iron. (Though a road is not technically needed since the town will be on the coast.) Any opinions?

We will need a road on the iron tile itself, at least. I'm not sure whether it makes sense to send the workers off-road to only road the one tile

Iron :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I would put roads toward the iron. We want the troop mobility to get there. The city would be decent. I can get two water bonus tiles, and on a river.

We will need a road on the iron tile itself, at least. I'm not sure whether it makes sense to send the workers off-road to only road the one tile

We need 2 road tiles at a minimum. That sets up for the best city spot in the area.

I see 2 potential city spots.
The first (which I think is the best) is right next to the Iron on the river. That gets us a Fish (+2 food) and Kelp (+1 food + 1 shield) which with a Port should be enough extra food to work all 11 tundra forests.
The second is on the other side of the river. That get us the Fish and a Pearl. We lose a shield and gain food. We also lose a few sea tiles and gain tundra. I don't know if we would have enough food to work all the tundra tiles.

My roading crew is working on the last segment of the road to the Horse town. When they finish they will start roading toward the Iron with a 1 or 2 tile detor to road to a potential city site over by the incense that fits in nicely with Beijing.

Top Bottom