[PTW] GOTM 163 - Celts Emperor Conquest - Spoiler

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
This is the thread where you tell us how you did - win, lose or retire.

Only read or post in this thread when your game is ended and successfully submitted.

I won't be submitting as I quit early after losing GLH by 2 turns, but I restarted and played to the end because it was such a fun setup! Just wanted to say it and say thank you for the experience. :) Finished my unoffical conquest in 1265AD with Cavs. Want to hear other people's stories.

But the GLH is not even necessary on this map?! (Perhaps it saves a few turns, but other factors can certainly overweigh this?!)

Whereas I did claim the four Hills in the middle and had Barracks and connected Iron there, I also captured TGLH on the very first foreign island I took, and it let me build Swordsmen and Infantry in the capital, which produced way over 10 spt as well as connecting all the Luxuries, eventually. It was certainly key to my game. I connected and disconnected the Iron using a Warrior and nine Workers.

I went for Egypt first, because they had the weakest military. This coincided, reasonably, with building The Colossus and The Great Lighthouse.

Conquest in 740 AD. Not too proud of my shipmoving ability. Slow in the end, Rome must have had ten Musketmen in the Capital against my thirty-something Medieval Infantry. Interesting about the set-up was also that it made it useful to build Pikemen. Very unusual.

I had a handful of Leaders, but only one built something useful, Forbidden Palace in Babylon. The rest I used for Marketplaces, Aqueducts etc.

This was a lot of fun. As I stink at both ships and conquest, I didn't finish until 1912, using artillery and cavalry hiding under infantry armies. Both Persia and Greece were well ahead of me in techs, as I shut of research after replaceable parts (though I bought industrialization and espionage, because I like to know how many troops my enemies have).

I also built the forbidden palace in Babylon - I got a great leader killing the last Babylonian unit to take Babylon, and that worked out really nicely.

GOTM 163

Settle 1SW for the 4-turner, which turns out to also be a 4-turn-combo because of the bonus cow that i had overlooked!
Early builds:
Warrior-worker-granary-settler-rax-combo warrior+settlers
2630 found 2nd town 3SE
2470 Alpha in
2430 1N2NW
2270 2S
2110 2E1NE
1950 1N2NE
1790 probably last town on starting island
No prebuild for TGLH is hurting
1700 i change my mind and reluctantly build another town only 2 tiles away…
1550 MM in, prebuild on TGLH and ships+harbour. Research goes min on CoL. Capital is in 2t-warrior/worker-combo mode.
1325 first unit lands on foreign shores… a very mountainous island directly east of our island. 2 loaded vessels are out there, others wait for their findings…
1225 see first borders, yellow
1200 meet Carthage and Egypt. What a surprise! The Egyptians lag behind, do not yet have WRI. But the Carths have all the techs we have except CB (of all!). :eek:
I trade for all each of them has… and see the only iron source seems to be the one on the central tile of the central island. Funny. J well, my ships are prepared.

Also they have horses, we don´t.
1075 found town on iron island
975 see Carth-galley
950 meet Roman galley, they have iron; build 2nd buildable town on core island and have units on the two remaining spots by now.
900 meet the Iros
875 meet Persia, quite developed… but no AI managed to get more than 4 towns on their islands… i´ve got 8! ;)
850 Colony connects iron, harbour in 11t
800 last spot on iron island settled
TGLH in
775 meet Greece
750 Romans lands a single legion on iron island L
Meet Babies, last civ
IBT: Rome declares. They lose no HP against the defending warrior, but of course promote… and start their GA. They take over 60 bucks from my savings also. Grrr.
730 i only have 2 vet archers. The first loses without taking a hp off. :eek: the 2nd however wins flawlessly. :crazyeyes:
690 can trade for 3 luxes, what a pleasent surprise
630 refound 4th town on iron island, isolate Rome
610 finally can rush the harbour to connect iron to home island. 31 warriors before IBT are waiting, 1741 gold collected.
IBT upgrade 14 gallics
590 first Armada with 10 gallics on board set sail
510 practically i max out my pop before conquests at 51 pop and my prod at 59 and my gnp at 99 before GA… all workers on home island joint to cities now. Capital able to build 3t-gallics, but overall i rely on upgrades.
450 establish embassy, arrange a RoP and land 12 gallics on Iro soil
Even with 31 gallics F3 shows me only average compared to Rome… ugh, this is going to become ugly.
430 start attack with 12 gallics in Iroland. 20 more on the way. The first attack gives a promotion… and starts my (despotic) GA. Can take one town and otherwise kill some MWs.
Not much to change in my towns. 2t-gallics in capitol become possible.
IBT: the Iros are able to kill most of my units of the initial wave. :eek:
410: arggh, lose 2 elite Gallics against a MW on grass! L
370 well… Carthage lands a single warrior next to my only town that i can really not get troops into. Grrr.
IBT of course Carths declare. At least i bought some stuff for gpt from them…
350 make a temporary peace with the Iros
270 re-attack Iros
Capture their cap, quite good results. But then lose a 4/4 GS against a 3/3 MW on plains without taking a hp off :crazyeyes:
IBT town even holds, due to stupid attacks by Iro MWs
250 take the Iro harbour town, it keeps intact! J
230 Iros out of the game. They never met anyone. 15 e victories without an MGL yet.
110 22 gallics prepared to attack Carthago next turn. Saw a Baby spear disappear the turn before -> they apperently cannot pay for their upkeep any more!
90bc war against Carthago starts. First town is stronger than expected, so i do not attack the cap this turn. L but i get my first MGL with my 16th e victory! J
70 evacuate all troops from captured town and gift the empty town to Babylon, the next victim, trapping roundabout 20 Carth units in their culture for 1 turn :shifty: or i thought so…
IBT because they obviously have a RoP and had not checked for that, so the Carths simply move the units normally out there again L
50 1t before the end of my GA i want to pillage my iron colony… but i cannot! Did i really forget that you could not do that in PtW?
30 Persia lands on iron island
IBT Persia declares
10 i make a false peace with Carthago, get Con from it, have a look into their cap – only 4 defenders left! I should have enough fort hat! Declare again!
But huh, that was close! My last >1hp attacker can take the city – and the Carths are out of the game!!

10ad
Hurry FP in former Iro lands
90ad
Land first troops on Baby island
IBT they declare even though we have a RoP. Well, only 2 gallics lost…
Iron reconnected
160 Persia has Rep… hm. I decide to still try it for myself, plus gift it around so everyone drawns in unit support. ;)
190 Republic… my army causes huge costs. I will build more crap towns and see what else i can do.
280 Babs gone, did not work out exactly as i wanted to
300 only now realize that i am *far* away from the dom limit due to all the coast tiles!!
340 preparation of attack on Persia, get into MA
350 28 attack units land on Persian lands
360 capital with Pyras taken. An immo on flat land takes 11 hps off in a row :crazyeyes:
All elite attackers die, no win, no retreat :grrr:
I feel i have enough warriors built and in line to stop the disconnect-connect.
390 Persia gone
470 i tried another RoP-rape, but Greeks declare on me IBT
510 Greece gone
540 war against Egypt starts, RoP-rape works here
550 Egypt was weakest until now – they are out. Only Rome left
590 IBT even giving in to a demand, again RoP-rape fails. Rome declares. I lose my empty army.
630 conquest

E victories:
IIIII IIIII IIIII I MGL in 90bc
IIIII IIIII II MGL in 550ad
III

t_x

Lancelot, it just took the fun away as I'd have to move more slowly and do more galley hops.

Piu said it already... without the GLight one could not trade for luxuries. that would have hampered the game a lot in my eyes... Rome would have been a too heavy first target in case they had built it. when i finally attacked them, i had >70 gallics. i usually tried to avoid to fight the entire army, but on some Islands this did not work out.

a very nice game concept, thanks for that!
t_x

Last edited:
Top Bottom