[PTW] GOTM 181 Aztecs Regent -- Discussion and Spoilers

Finished the game. 1934 Conquests victory, with Always War. Made it to Amphibious Warfare tech-wise, though Cavalry did most of the conquering of the second continent, with help from Infantry early on.

It was a fun game. The AI didn't cope as well with Always War as it does in Conquests - I noticed Rome's cities shrinking around 1900, and a spy showed that they had 0% lux slider but half of the citizens were entertainers, resulting in virtually no production - but it still posed a challenge early on, and a logistical challenge in invading the second continent. Definitely could have won earlier without Always War, but it was more fun with it.

In the game replay, perhaps the most noteworthy event was that in the defense of Thermopylae, Greece spawned a great leader. This was not Leonidas, but Pyrrhus. Pyrrhus's victory would be pyrrhic, however, as that same turn the city was conquered.

A similar fate befell England with Edward. The AI never did get to build an army, a slight disappointment since they can use them more effectively in PTW than in Conquests.

20k in 1784

It was a fun game - thanks for the coal and iron in my 20k capital, Captain Jack.

I did not do well with the impassible mountains.

The English settled the hill tile in the mountain barrier; I got the town in a peace treaty later.

I didn't stay at war as much as I planned, but I got a couple of great leaders relatively early, which was nice. I took some of England and all of Zulu-land, but mostly did not invade.

I submitted the game unfinished. I played it in January, but then lost interest. I had a month of not playing at all and then it was more fun designing and testing the Babylon game.

The starting location was obviously very weak with lots of Jungle and and confined space. Proximity demanded that I first take out the Zulu. I rushed the Forbidden Palace there and spent another eternity developing a second core. Very productive eventually, but in an isolated corner of the world. In the mean time I conquered to the south: Greece, England, Russia, China. I started the third core construction around Athens whence I jumped the Palace. I felt I had spent all the energy I had allotted to worker moves and core development for one game, so I never went through with the overseas attack eastwards on the other continent. The Greek core was still fairly undeveloped, but still, of course, stronger than the original core it replaced. I had scores of Workers trek from Zululand down to Athens and its surroundings. It was all just logistics.

I think Jungle is the least thought-through concept of Civilization III. It takes so long to clear, but gives no corresponding advantages.

1934 Conquests victory, with Always War.
Nice work. I was never able to win this game in war mode when I was designing it, even having the Aztec and knowing everything about the anatomy. It was mostly set up for a glorious 20k city and I was sure CKS would use that to his advantage.
CKS -- I'd like to see a screen shot of your 20k city if you still have it.

Nice work. I was never able to win this game in war mode when I was designing it, even having the Aztec and knowing everything about the anatomy. It was mostly set up for a glorious 20k city and I was sure CKS would use that to his advantage.
CKS -- I'd like to see a screen shot of your 20k city if you still have it.

There was a point, around when I was invading England, that I had some doubts whether Always War was going to work. At that point Greece had all but one of their cities, England had a fair amount, and Russia was starting to attack me with quite a few Swords; I was concerned that if China arrived in force, the front might collapse. But then I managed to take out England, Greece's infrastructure and happiness got too pillaged for them to do much, and I realized I could bypass them and deal with Russia first.

I did commit to it pretty heavily, though. By 2000 BC, I had enough Jaguars that Despotism was the only feasible government, so I never considered developing Tenochtitlan to take advantage of irrigation + hills + iron. I only researched Iron Working so I'd know where to pillage the AI's iron.

I liked the larger preview of the area we started in, by the way. Still plenty of exploration, yet a somewhat more informed early decision about where to build the first city or two.

Top Bottom