GOTM 35 Pre-Game Discussion

delmar said:
How do you make a 4-turn (settler?) factory? I don't see how population can grow faster than once every three turns given the bonuses that are visible.

I just realized I was thinking that since it is very similar to the COTM04 setup that it would be one like it was there. Only, I forgot that the agricultural trait gave us the one extra food. My bad. :blush:

Thanks for pointing it out. I would have messed up my start thinking I had a 4-turn factory.

Damn, that changes things. Now we need that other food bonus. The bad part of it is it would take 2 moves to find out if the fog gazers are right. Either that or move east of the river and settle.

If they are right then E or SE (Not that I want to settle a BG). Damn, damn, damn. Ainwood's dilema make even more sense, now. I guess east it is. Having finally gotten a 4-turn factory going, I want another! :)

Florian K said:
Has anyone else considered moving south
Pros 2 Gold, 4 BG, can irrigate wheat directly
Cons 1t delay, lose Def Bonus

I plan to settle S. I'll be at size 6 soon enough and I'll get that bonus shield back then. If I was planning on using the capitol as a settler factory for any length of time though I'd probably choose another spot.

smackster said:
This sounds good, to give some SGOTM4 training, I'm going to go for a 5CC. With Sipahi on Monarch, I think this one could even be a 5CCC, 5 City Challenge Conquest.

I was thinking the same thing, but since I did Conquest last month I'm taking this as an opportunity to scratch Space off my list. Since 100k and Domination are impossible this is the last victory I've yet to win 5CC. I'd still like a harder Conquest win. Last month's picking on the Regent AI felt a little cheap. ;)

SirPleb said:
I'm guessing that conquest will be an "interesting" goal :) That's what I'll go for.

If ainwood don't remove scientific trait I think domination will be easier.
;)

denyd said:
I'm thinking it's more of a continents game, but were at the tip with Greece (Hoplites) cutting us off from all the other tribes and without iron & horses battle our way out.
The catch could be barbs too. ainwood said something about how the hill on the starting tile could be useful for defence. This would hardly be worth mentioning unless he has dotted the starting area with camps. :confused: Maybe the barbs have premade railroads to our garden. ;)

Not too sure if this is the right place to ask...

How do I play GOTM's using the modded terrain graphics that come with PTW? I know that for vanilla you need to overwrite the standard graphics, but PTW lets you play them as a scenario. Only trouble is loading the graphics as a scenario takes me to the start a new game screen and I want to play GOTM!

Any techno whizs know?

Now that the minimap location was revealed, I am even more tempted to settle SW instead of E. Fortunately I have plenty of time to make decision as I still have to finish COTM 04.

mabellino said:
Not too sure if this is the right place to ask...

How do I play GOTM's using the modded terrain graphics that come with PTW? I know that for vanilla you need to overwrite the standard graphics, but PTW lets you play them as a scenario. Only trouble is loading the graphics as a scenario takes me to the start a new game screen and I want to play GOTM!

Any techno whizs know?
This thread might be useful.

I overwrite the graphics to use them (like you mention) - just back-up my old ones first.

So if the fog peekers are correct we've got 2 GL Wheats, 1 Plains Wheat and 4 BG available in the local area if we move SE.

By my dubious calculations, if we mine all the wheat and 3 BG, we'll be able to create a 4-turn settler factory from size 3 to 5

Turn 1
Capital: 2 food & 1 shield at size 3
Mined GL Wheat: 3 food & 1 shield
Mined BG 1: 2 food & 2 shield
Total: 10 food & 5 shield

Turn 2
Capital: 2 food & 1 shield
Mined BG 1: 2 food & 2 shield
Total 20 food & 12 shields - city grows to size 4 and uses 2 a mined BG for shields

Turn 3
MM to Mined GL Wheat to Mined PL wheat & add new citizen to Mined BG
Mined PL Wheat: 2 food & 2 shield
Mined BG: 2 food & 2 shield
Total 31 food & 21 shields

Turn 4
Mined PL Wheat: 2 food & 2 shield
With 11 new food city grows to size 5 and uses Mined GL Wheat
Total 42 food & 32 shields and settler completes going back to size 3

Trying to get this techincal is new to me even though I've been playing for a couple of years now. I'm normally a irrigate brown & mine green kind of player until I get out of despotism. The student has come before the masters asking for confirmation and correction where applicable. :worship: :help:

I can't follow your numbers. I usually just count the surplus food generated by each tile after its citizen has eaten 2. The capital gives 2fpt because no citizen eats its output, and a mined grass/wheat gives 1 fpt. For a 4 turn factory with a granary you need 10 surplus food every 2 turns.

denyd said:
By my dubious calculations, if we mine all the wheat and 3 BG, we'll be able to create a 4-turn settler factory from size 3 to 5
Sorry, I think you'd be better off counting food the way AlanH does :(

In your turn 1 you produce 10 food but your citizens consume 6. Same in turn 2. Assuming you have a granary you need to accumulate 10 surplus food to grow but you have just 8 at the end of turn two.

I forgot, my people have to eat :lol:

I guess I'll have to dig out that settler factory article before I start or just use my usual (lazy) rules of thumb and take what comes.

Just to make it clear, you need to irrigate one of those grassland wheats, to get +5fpt, and then you don't get near to 30 shields in 4 turns, I count 23.

So 3/5 doesn't work. 4/6 or 5/7 probably will.

smackster

denyd said:
I forgot, my people have to eat :lol:
Another small tip:
Don't forget that not only the citizens in the capital have to eat.
You only need two wheats (+3 mined BGs) for an easy 4-turn settler factory. Anything more (if it should be there :scan: ) is better used by the next town.

Top Bottom