1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM 57

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Razed cities would count towards the total number of cities.

2. URUWASHI

URUWASHI Warlord

Duke, I have some important points to bring .
    First of all It was not a rule about taking other cities and destroy them.
    Agree that every city taken should be considered as part of your 10 city rule.
    Forn Instance Babilonians razed and destroyed Upsalla ( Viking ) so am I responsible ??
    The rules on the begining of the game were a bit different.
    It was not a rule about destroying cities....why then make the rule ..." Cities destroyed will be atken against you " ??
    After I finished the game I found that destroyed cities will count against me ..why ??
    I agree ..I destroyed Carthage ( In hopes that will be an Ocean city ) and 2 more Carthagianian cities.....I did the same with Bokhara and Karakorum ( Mongols ) , but in this case I kept both of them as part of my 10 cities.
    My goal was to level out the game play...I protected the Vikings and the Mongols from being destroyed...
    If the issue was about not taking or ATTACKING any cities the rules had to be clearer.
    AS well the rule could have " You are not allow to attck any city "....." If you do that city will be taken against you.." BUT that is not what the original rule implies....
    It was a great game ..... kudos on the design of the Map.
    I played by the rules established on the original download.

3. mr. Y

mr. Y Warlord

Although I never razed an enemy city, nor captured one, I must concur with URUWASHI here. I had the same impression about that rule.

4. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Sounds to me like the principle is "if you benefit from a city, however you get it (found/capture/AT), for more than a turn cycle, it counts as one of your cities" (ie - "capturing" a size 1 city, which causes it to disappear immediately, doesn't count). At least that's how it works with One City Challenge.

5. TheViking

TheViking The world is not enough

The attached image shows my strategy in action. I have reduced about a third of the Carthaginian (the most annoying AI civ) cities to size 1, destroyed all of their improvements and I'm now pillaging the terrain around them. If I attack any of these cities they get destroyed and disappear. Am I correct in understanding that doing so counts against my score or is this OK since the cities will never belong to me, they simply disappear?

6. Dominus Romae

Dominus Romae Warlord

Anihilate them now, I think you won't suffer any penalties.

7. Duke of Marlbrough

Orignally the thought was to have razed cities count towards the total 'count' because there would be little way to tell if a city was captured and used and then disbanded later or simply razed.

But, since the razing of cities seems to be a part in people's strategies we'll have to review our thinking and see how make it work out.

8. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

That graphic might count as a "spoiler"...

9. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Interesting concept. :) It's been awhile since I've played.

10. bruderpetrus

bruderpetrus Chieftain

i think if you raze (never get a chance to open city screen) you can not be called owner of that city in any way.

so destroy all that citys and remeber you failed in keeping peace.

11. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

I agree with others that razed cities should not count, but also see your point about the practicality of the issue. Will this review be done soon or after the games are submitted?

I have started to play and after map exchanges found two rival cities too close to one of mine for comfort. I am at peace with both rivals. But one of them is Mongol and I cannot keep them at bay for long.

12. Duke of Marlbrough

13. Ali Ardavan

Thanks Duke.

And thanks again for this marvelous twist of rules. Even though I am typically a space ship player I am finding this game to be quite different and a refreshing challenge.

14. Fernão de Magalhães

Fernão de Magalhães Chieftain

"...and a refreshing challenge". Thank's, Duke. :goodjob:

Yes! And an interesting thing it´s to help the Egiptians against the invasion of Mongols, offer military units to them. The Mongols did not know! :mischief:

15. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

One thing I've noticed - to gift a military unit, it must be on one of your cities' supported lists. You cannot gift a NONE unit to another civ without bringing it home to add to a city support list (or at least I have not found a way to do it yet...). I had a few unsupported Archers in the neighborhood of a civ under severe pressure and found I could not gift them as they did not show up on the selection list.

16. Ace

Ace Emperor

That's correct. I discovered that a long time ago, by accident, when "poking around" with the different game features. I suspect it is because Sid and Co. did not expect the large number of "none" units that players would generate via dips/spies. It also came up a couple of years ago during a multiplayer game with DoM. One of us got a none unit while walking along the polar cap and tried to "gift" it to the other guy. It was out in the middle of nowhere, and the "other guy" had a ship nearby that could move the unit to a useful location, but since it was a none unit...:sad:

17. Duke of Marlbrough

18. Peaster

Peaster Emperor

If I am not mistaken, Grigor has now passed Smash, for first place in the GOTM HOF. Congrats to Grigor ! :goodjob:

19. Ali Ardavan

I wonder why Smash is not playing anymore. He is around and he does comment on Civ2 forums occasionally.