GOTM 74 First Spoiler - 1ad

neilmeister

Lentils have feelings too
GOTM Staff

GOTM 74 First Spoiler

Stop! If you are participating in GOTM74, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD.

Did the Quechua's help?

I settled Cuzco on the PH to the SSE. The Quechuas helped against the barbs, but I didn't try using them in any early rush. By 1 AD, the highlights of the game were:

1080 BC: COL founds Confucianism in Tiwanaku.
975 BC: Oracle in Cuzco for the CS Sling.
475 BC: GP is sent to Tiwanaku to build the Kong Miao.
200 BC: I declare war on KK and bribe Hatty to do so, too.
175 BC: I capture Beshbalek.

All the demographics look good, so this should be an easy domination game for me...which probably means someone else will achieve this result a millennium or so before I do!

As stated in the pre-game thread, I moved the quechua SW to reveal the western 3 tiles if SIP. I liked the result and settled in place rather than move to the southern PH. Some health issues during the game from the floodplains, but not terrible.

Going for quick one-city diplo.

Initial research: AH-mining-writing-poly for starting techs. I actually founded Hindu with that late (2600BC) Poly. :lol: In 1AD I've finished education with one GS bulb and have a little backfill. 1520BC Oracle->Civil Service sling...somewhat late considering we have gold in the BFC.

Oracle-1520BC
Pyramids-750BC
Great Lib-450BC
Kong Miao-450BC

Raging barbs were no problem at all. After the worker, I built enough Quechuas to fogbust everything around me. I had ONE barb warrior cut a diagonal path from the NE...but he suicided against a quechua fortified in a forest. By 1AD, Cyrus has filled in the land that direction, so any barb threat is over.

I've met all the AI at this point and have their maps...and the one with the most land to settle also founded Buddhism. So the UN opponent is set. The AI favorite civics are also looking good. Some wars are breaking out between the AI's, which is annoying for the negative diplo 'you refused to help us' modifiers.

Plan at this point is to get as many GScientists as possible for bulbing, liberalism->radio, hopefully one GE for the UN, and spread Confu to everyone. I founded all religions except Buddhism/Islam, so no one should break out of Confu. Diplo victory is almost assured.

cas

Moved Warrior NE, Settled the PH.

Techs: Wheel->Mining->BW->AH->Pottery

Wonders: Oracle 1160BC, Pyramids 175BC

Wars:
DoW on Cyrus to worker steal then the worker was killed by a Lion
DoW on KK to steal another worker

The Raging barbs were a little annoying because sometimes they would pop right back up after having cleared a spot.

Quechua not really a big difference in this game.

Interesting game, very fun.

At first I decided NOT to try a Quechua rush. The distance to Persia and the Mongols were too great. On the way back from finding Persia I discovered the Ivory and thought about a War Elephant attack and started teching with that in mind.

Right as I built my first settler to go claim the Ivory, Persia settles there. Since their 2nd city is now closer to me and with the Mongols also nearby I figure war is inevitable and since I want the Ivory for later I decide on a late Quechua rush. Also realizing that the Mongols and the Persians appear to have no copper available contributed to me turning to conquest.

Far later than most I'm sure (200 BC) I take the Persian 2nd city (near Ivory) and their capital. I give them peace because they settled a 3rd city blocking the Mongols and I figure it will help me buffer them.

1 AD finds me just now meeting the last 2 civs and with 6 cities. I'm planning to finish off Persia and attack the Mongols with my War Elephant horde once I get them built. In retrospect I think some will have conquered all of Persia and Mongolia by now. I was far more timid and slow to get my army going, even after getting the techs in place for the War Elephants.

I did find that with spreading out my cities and strategically positioning a few Quechuas I was able to light up all of my subcontinent so the barbarians have been almost non-existent.

Another fun one...

I moved the Q SW, liked it, settled in place. Beelined for Buddhism. Built the Oracle for CoL. Oracle created GP which researched Theology. I've decided to go for a religious victory, vanilla style. :mischief:

Went Meditation -> Wheel -> Pottery (no farms on those floodplains!). Then went for Mining and Masonry to have the marble set up for the Oracle.

Buddhism founded 3720 BC (capital)
Confucianism founded 1600 BC (city 2)
Christianity founded 100BC (city 3)

I am now researching Philosophy and have 6 cities. I have three more decent spots and can probably squeeze in a fourth -- all cities are in the western area of the map bordered by the ivory to the north (I hope to culture flip one) and the spices to the east (ditto), with only one Persian city semi-awkwardly placed between. Perhaps there will be no wars?! We shall see... better make sure I have enough pointy sticks handy just in case....

Took Q SW, decided the site was just too awesome so I didn't settle it. Instead I went NW -> W and settled there.

Oracled civil service 1600BC. Revolted into Bureaucracy & slavery.

Had a phoney war with Mongols to steal a worker. However they then sent a chariot at me and it took 4 quechas to take that sucker down as I hadn't hooked metal up yet :crazyeye: Come to think of it, I still haven't researched hunting...

As of 1 AD I have finished machinery, construction and currency but only have 3 cities. They are awesome cities though (my size 7 capital doing 24 hammers and 71 beakers a turn) so will pump out maces/xbows/catapults until the game is won.

Earning 1gpt at 100% science now thanks to the settled great prophet. :)

Giving this one a go on Adventurer, so had that advantage. Still, though, seems I'm the only one who didn't get the Oracle. And, haven't even started a war yet! That will soon change, though.

I settled 1 NE, as it gave me 3 resources, along with the flood plains. Took my second settler S/SW and settled on the coast, with all the Furs and flood plains.

Captured a barb city to the west, with the Sheep and Wheat, just before 1 AD, to give me 7 cities. 3rd city up was E, where the Gold and Spices are, to hold off the Mongols advance, and 4th N, for the Copper and Ivory....but Cyrus planted his city just before so the two are very close. 5th city went in that nifty spot W of the capitol with many resources....6th SE for the Copper and Deer.

Cyrus will go down soon. I prefer to wait for catapults in war, especially as we are teching quite fast. Being he has copper, iron and horses, he must go down very soon. Seems Kubla didn't have copper.....he'll probably go down as well, but my goal is a space victory, with so much from Gold, Furs and cottages. Just want enough cities and don't want anyone breathing down my neck:) So, Kubla may or may not go.....Hatty isn't my friend, so if I started down that road, she may have to go also.

I didn't get the Oracle because stupid barbs disconnected my Marble twice. I probably screwed that up and should have fog busted. I've made no Wonders at all, actually, building workers and settlers and now the war machine.

I'm not sure how far the machine should go....15-20 cities should suffice.

This is my first GOTM.
I SIP. Started pumping Quechuas after Worker with rush in mind. I had reallly bad luck to get Hunting from a hut. I wanted Quechuas, not Spearmen! But whatever it was - Inca feature or Vanilla - I was able to built them both.
I went Mining, Wheel, Pottery, AH, BW for Slavery and forest chopping, then CS sling techs.
I found KK and stole worker. He suicided Warrior against my Quechua and sue for peace. Then I found Cyrrus with his marvelous capitol. I sent there about 9 Quechuas and found that they are no good againt Archers on hills behind river and with +40% culture. I lost 3-4 before deciding that it's not good idea. But he had Horses nearby and it would be even more difficult to kill him later, so I decided to choke him. It worked quite well.
I forgot about raging barbs, but they reminded me kindly about themselves. So instead of rushing I produced several Quechuas to fight them off. Lucky me I built third city near Iron, so when Axeman appeared near my newly founded city I was able to whip my Ax in capitol. In that moment I decided to proper fogbust my mini continent ;)
Till 1 AD I had 4 cities - one NE near Spice to block Hatty and KK, one W near Iron, another SE on coast near Fur and Bronze.
1400 BC I discovered CoL and built Oracle=CS sling.
Cyrrus didn't build single improvement south of his city. After fogbusting I sent couple of Cats to my Quechuas and captured his city near Elephants. At 1AD I was going to finish him.
350 BC I stole another Worker from KK. This time he sent couple of Chariots and pillaged my NE city. They were on the hills E from my capitol before my Spearmen got them. But then he sued for peace once again. It was 1 AD.

Settled on the PH south. 2nd city to the west (2360 bc) with cow, corn, marble and oasis. :)

But if you wait enough to let them get archery then it will become a quachua rush......assuming they do not have horses or copper.
Thanks teammate, nice tip there :goodjob:

When Cyrus settled the juicy fish spot with ivory, that's exactly what I did. (875 bc)
Cyrus did have horses so I went for his capital first, pillaging the horses before he built any, but when I arrive at his doorstep he pops a spear... :eek: He had IW (not known to me :mischief:) and iron :mad:
At odds 0.7% I almost abandoned my attack , but my first Q did hurt him a bit and it only took 3 to kill the spear so Persepolis was mine. :cool:

At 1AD all visible cities are mine... :mischief:

1AD stats: 9 cities (built 2, 3 from Cyrus (dead), 2 from KK and 2 from Hatti), pop 41, sustain 53 bpt at 30% , -1 gpt.

Units: 4 HA, 18 cats, 15 axe, 14 Q, 1 chariot, 6 workers

I wonder if a bc conquest would have been possible... :crazyeye:

Spoiler :

Cities:

I stole a Worker from Mansa and he sacked my second City in retaliation. Actually, I had a Quechua there and Mansa only had a Warrior but I mistakenly thought it was Genghis' Warrior and moved away from it. Mansa wouldn't even take my Worker as bait--he just wanted to raze my City. At least the City was only Size 1 at the time.

Oh well, I managed to get his Worker back safely, so I was down 1 City and up 1 Worker, making me feel slightly better about the whole affair.

Once The Oracle was built by an AI on the turn that I learned Priesthood, I resigned myself to a nearly-Wonderless game and just started pumping out the units.

I have my eyes set on grabbing a couple of Cities from the AI that built The Oracle--as well as a ton of other Wonders.

The Quechuas were useful for fending off the Barbs (and would have been useful in fending off Mansa had I been more attentive).

Oh yeah, I also decided not to build many Cottages (which turned into not building any Cottages) "because we are not Financial." :facepalm: Around 1 AD I decided to check what our Traits are and it turns out that we ARE Financial. :lol: Meh, maybe I'll try to play a completely Cottageless game, just for hoots and giggles.

I had reallly bad luck to get Hunting from a hut.
I wouldn't have even thought that there were Huts on the map, but I guess that Neilmeister just did a good job in hiding them and you a good job in finding (at least) one! :)

See this text:
Options: Raging Barbarians. Most Goody Huts have been removed.

I found KK and stole worker. He suicided Warrior against my Quechua and sue for peace.
Oh yeah, I forgot that Mansa retaliated against my Worker-thief and killed my Quechua in a Forest with his non-Combat-I Warrior. Sometimes you just have to struggle through and push forward, making the best of a bad situation.

As for getting Peace? Ummm, no thank you, Mansa, I don't want to give you a City for Peace (thus we're still at war with each other :D).

Warrior climed the hill NE and saw nothing great. So settle in place. Started a worker and headed to AH and then to Pot and BW.

HC was able to found a few cities
In the east on a desert hill by a FP, Rice and gold. This would build the Oracle.
Another on PH north of the second gold city with 1 gem on BFC and later had Iron.
Next city was founded by a 3 pop rushed settler on the incens tile to deny Persian a city. That settler and the archer sat there for nearly 10 turns. Lost and eventually settled a city NW of Our capital.
Next city was taken from Barbs to west with sheep and what in BFC.
The last city founded was to S and little east with copper, deer and fur in its BFC.

By this time, the empire was in many AI's bad list and KK decided to close our borders. Not acceptable. 5 cats and 2 Q's took the city for no losses. Next there capital,and after 2 more cities taken, Mongols were no more. Oh yeah they gave us a nice and Shinny GLH.

Capital has an Academy and the Great Library and the Heroic epic. 2 Maces every 3 turns.
A force of 1 cat and 5 maces are about to Dow persians and the Original group is about to attack Egypt. Hatty built both the Mids and the Parth in her capital.

HC has 4 turns to complete Paper and have the GA from Music hanging around. I think He will use it in Egyption Capital.

The beginning:

- Quechua 1NE / Settler PH South
- Worker / Quechua / Quechua / Settler
- The Wheel / Pottery / Mining / BW / AH / Meditation / Priesthood / Writing / Alphabet...
- Stonehenge (1600 BC) / lost The Oracle (2 turns) :cry:
- Great Prophet in Cuzco (100 BC)
- DOWed on Cyrus (200 BC) with Axes, Swords, Archs and Cats
Pasargadae (75 BC) / Arbela (50 BC)

1 AD:

- 6 cities (3 founded, 1 barbarian, 2 Persian)
- pop 18 / 1 treasury / +2gpt at 50%
- Hereditary Rule / Vassalage / Slavery
- Literature (8 turns)
- 4 Workers / 8 Archers / 4 Axes / 10 Swords / 10 Cats / 2 Longbs

Observation:

- The barbarians, until now, they did not appear as I expected (what's so good) :)
- The first target was Cyrus by proximit...

Intencion:

- The first one is Domination. Second is Conquest... :wavey:

Greeder said:
I had reallly bad luck to get Hunting from a hut.

I wouldn't have even thought that there were Huts on the map, but I guess that Neilmeister just did a good job in hiding them and you a good job in finding (at least) one! :)

I didn't want to sound like I was griping but since results have been posted and my Challenger pt still did respectably well I'd like to share my GH experience in GOTM74.

Spoiler :

...and serves me right for quoting Professor Farnsworth.

But, it all turned out all right. From my log:
Turn 10
IT'S a TRAP! Hostile triple barb. I have the hill and 10%, but what is the survival rate of 3 v 1 with a lion on the right?

Turn 11
Triple victory worth 3 exp. GREAT!

Quite Fun Though

Attachments

• GOTM74 - Turn 8 - Good News Everyone0000.JPG
    GOTM74 - Turn 8 - Good News Everyone0000.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 178
  • GOTM74 - Turn 10 - Bad Day0000.JPG
    GOTM74 - Turn 10 - Bad Day0000.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 187
That is pretty bad luck Hsinchu, there were only 2 huts on the map, and the other was on an icy island.

I didn't want to sound like I was griping but since results have been posted and my Challenger pt still did respectably well I'd like to share my GH experience in GOTM74.

Quite Fun Though

So in fact both of us were lucky ;)

Top Bottom