1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm 92

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Chieftain Supporter

As I said, I only tested once, so the results are not necessarily accurate. If I were to guess, you might get a bonus that diminishes with additional cities. I lost my capital in the GOTM when I had several cities, but I only used one additional city in my quick test. It would also explain the results of a test conducted for one of the deity plus succession games where they decided to use a phalanx to defend a capital instead of building an offensive unit to attack some barbs.

Barbarians only stack with a leader. If a ship unloads 2 barb attack units, then one of them can be bribed and attack the other.

You will have to do a search to find out if defence bonuses are added or multiplied, but I think that they are multiplied on each other, it was a little more convenient to say 2, however. I think the warrior in my test did become a veteran at some point during combat. I suppose this discussion might indicate that a fortified phalanx is an adequate defence against a couple barbs. I have come up with an Option 5, however.

Option 5: Masonry. Get Masonry as the off path tech, and then in the unlikely event that your capital is taken, build a new one. Make sure that you have a city with 2 forest to speed up the job, taking advantage of the fact that a city producing a palace suffers no waste if you don't already have one. Alternatively, build city walls in your city, which should provide adequate defence.

2. Ace

Ace Chieftain

Re: option 2 above, horses will do it, because barb archers only defend with a 1 against human attackers. I don't remember the source for this, but it was posted several years ago. In fact, on occasion, I have actually attacked a barb archer with a warrior who was defending an outlying city, and won. At least, its a 50/50 chance as opposed to waiting for a 3-1 hit.

3. WildPony

WildPony Chieftain

awesome ace. presumably the "1" defense is true for barb legions too? that would make vet warriors work out just fine and keep the path i want :clap: so clearly warrior code, a barracks and 2 vet archers was overkill.

4. LordValuna

LordValuna High Lord

1 defense is for barb archers only, legions are full strength

5. WildPony

WildPony Chieftain

Thanks Lord Valuna, very good to know. On the subject, do deity barbs get a +50% bonus defending, or only attacking?

6. LordValuna

LordValuna High Lord

Its attack strength only that is increased. The increase or decrease depends on level
    level attacking strength factor
    Chieftain 25%
    Warlord 50%
    Prince 75%
    King 100%
    Emperor 125%
    Deity 150%

check this link out for other barbarian info http://sethos.gmxhome.de/