GOTM Techniques, Cheats, Rules & Discussion Thread

Originally posted by Narz
[

Also, how do you know who to give to? I am playing the current GOTM (#21), and am the Carthaginians, there are five other Civs in the world and my power is supreme (of course :D ). So how do I know who to give to?

- Narz :king: [/B]

Supreme - Purple
Mighty - Orange
Strong - light blue
Moderate- Yellow
Inadequete- Dark Blue
Weak - Green
Pathetic - White

has to do with turn position of AI. Have seen this posted many times
;)

Narz -
(repeat of post in Strategy section)

The definitive answers to questions about Key Civ, Beaker Numbers, and Tech Gifting were published on APOLYTON.NET over a year ago. You have to read through several threads, but here are the links and some explanation:

In 2000, several civvers researched sequences of Beaker Numbers required for consecutive techs:

http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/000881.html?date=17:02

In April 2001 Samson discovered the secret of Tech Gifting to Key Civ:

http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/001828.html?17

Shortly thereafter Samson developed a formula for Cost (in Number of Beakers) of Research:

http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/001831.html?6

Talk about "Scrolls of Ancient Wisdom"!

Well, since I'm "supreme" and theres no purple Civ, I guess I'm out of luck... :( oh well, I don't need these little bonuses anyway... ;)

- Narz :king:

ElephantU, thanks for the link. Very interesting indeed. As far as I know we can use any tactic that is not specifically banned for GOTM. So until it is explicitly banned you can use it.

Personally, I think we ought to ban it, but I'm bringing it to everyone's attention as an issue...

Certainly gives a big boost in trade routes when you are not playing OCC...

6. Seeing enemy's explored land (not trading maps)
(Using enemy's mini map in a city status screen)

Just how is this done???

and i know that this might be considered a bit off topic, but i just put a cordless usb mouse on my computer and its drivers also allowed me to configure pushing both of the buttons of my wired mouse as a third button. right now i have it set as a hypermenu, which gives me instant access to all of the menu's wherever the cursor happens to be. it's much faster checking advisor's, demographics, and what not. so i can spend my time doing what's really important -- micromanaging my settlers.

obty that brings up another subject, i've noticed that if you move a settler to a spot within his home citie's radius and then k that he'll always irrigate if it's grassland or plains or mine if it's desert or hills. don't know what he'll do on other other terrains or special resources. but i wasn't all that surprised that he started mining a desert oasis. of course, what he'll do or where he'll go after he's done is any one's clue. and if your irrigating without a source of water you can only use more settlers if they're rehomed to the city, moved to the spot, and then automated. atleast it works more often than not. grr.

Producing a commodity trade caravan when only a food caravan is possible
For example suppose your city produces
(salt), (oil), (gold)
and they are in brackets to indicate a trade route has been established (or commodity caravan has been built)
Now build another caravan or frieght.
When it says build food caravan, Do Nothing, wait until
it says confirm <nil> caravan. select <nil>
a caravan with the commodity in the first slot (salt in the example) will be produced.
You can continue to produce the first slot trade commodity forever

Originally posted by kennycjr
6. Seeing enemy's explored land (not trading maps)
(Using enemy's mini map in a city status screen)

Just how is this done???

When you investigate a city (by using a diplomat or Spy) it opens the city view screen of the AI city. If you click on the map button, it will show you as much of the world that the AI has explored.

Originally posted by LordValuna
Producing a commodity trade caravan when only a food caravan is possible
For example suppose your city produces
(salt), (oil), (gold)
and they are in brackets to indicate a trade route has been established (or commodity caravan has been built)
Now build another caravan or frieght.
When it says build food caravan, Do Nothing, wait until
What do you mean by "wait"? As far as I can tell that would be an indefinite wait. The dialog window will just stay there.

Wow! Thanks ElephantU for posting this. My hat is off to Samson and Solo of Apolyton for this monumental work.

Originally posted by Ali Ardavan

What do you mean by "wait"? As far as I can tell that would be an indefinite wait. The dialog window will just stay there.
literally do nothing for 30-60 program will cycle to next menu
(confirm and zoom) says confirm <nil> caravan. select <nil>
<edit> (added following)
as displayed in this picture

download this .sav file to try to get salt.
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/al_a1960.sav

Sorry, I don't have the energy to read through this whole thread, but I have found a strange bug (maybe it's well known).

If you deliver two caravans from a trieme, and the first caravan is demanded with say x2 (i.e copper, dye etc), then the second caravan will also be x2 even if it's not demanded. But if you deliver the un-demanded caravan first, the demanded caravan will only give x1 trade.

I noticed this when I delivered two caravans to a city in another civilization (than my own.) I haven't tested this for x3 caravans or other combination of caravans.

I assume you are talking about the bonus payment for caravan delivery.

First of all, are you sure you are calculating the expected amount correctly? Here is the "definitive" thread on calculating bonuses, with all the modifiers in proper order:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64729

The other possibility is that you have run into the "trigger effect" of caravan delivery. Samson and Solo over at Apolyton.Net say that changes in city supply and demand can be "masked" until a "trigger" causes them to update the lists. There is a 16-turn cycle for each city which forces an update, but caravan delivery, either to pay out or to add to a Wonder, can also trigger updates. Here is a thread on the Supply/Demand formulas and some other commentary:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67754

Read through this stuff and try out some of the formulas. Also, did you click the city again between the first and second delivery to see if the demand had changed? Do you have a save file of the game just before the first caravan delivery?

Hope this helps.

Blessed Christ-Mass!

Thanks. Yeah, it must have been the "trigger effect", because I know how you calculate the delivery already.

Merry christmas!

Top Bottom