GOTM Techniques, Cheats, Rules & Discussion Thread

I have a couple of questions concerning the (standard) Civ2 score.

What shall I do before the end of the game to boost the score? I suppose I should max the luxury percentage and turn a needed amount of citizens to entertainers. What else?

Originally posted by Civ2 manual
number of happy citizens 2
number of content citizens 1
number of Wonders built 20
number of turns of world peace (no wars or combat) 3
number of future techs discovered 5
number of map squares currently polluted -10
Is the 3 point bonus for every year of world peace true?

Originally posted by Civ2 manual
If you successfully settle the stars, you earn a bonus based on the number of colonists to reach Alpha Centauri. This bonus is added to your running total score when you complete your mission.
How big is this bonus?

12. Unnaturally Large City Sizes Disallowed
(Also, growth with less than 1 food surplus)

Unnatural City - A city whose size exceeds that which can be supported by the combination of it's own food plus the incoming food routes. Also, any city growing with a food deficit is quite unnatural.
I would replace this rule by another one:
No city can be in hunger status just before the game ends (before the Civ2 score is computed) .
Otherwise you put your workers on squares with trade instead of food and hire entertainers. This is an unnatural status of the empire and can be held only temporarily and so should be forbidden IMHO.

Slow Thinker -- good thought regarding the entertainers & squeezing out a few more happy citizens -- my folks never seem to be influenced as well.

Regarding the hunger stuff -- often I’ll have a city we loved to a minus one food level. Since this comes through the normal course of the game, I’ve never worried about it. Later on sometimes it ‘corrects’ itself and has a zero amount of food balance. It is a nit, but your suggested rule change may make this more than a nit.

I think that the unnaturally large city (say 50+) should stay as is -- it is easier to spot check that (say F8 for example) than to check 150 to 200 cities for negative food balances.

But for the end of game, it makes sense not to end with hunger if the objective is points, no?

Originally posted by Ali Ardavan
Code:
Level      Map size         total turns  GOTM breakeven threshold

Chieftain  ---              570          1.38%
Warlord    Large or Normal  570          1.38%
Prince     Large            570          1.38%

Warlord    Small            520          1.52%
Prince     Normal           520          1.52%
King       Large            520          1.52%

Prince     Small            470          1.68%
King       Normal           470          1.68%
Emperor    Large            470          1.68%

King       Small            420          1.88%
Emperor    Small or Normal  420          1.88%
Deity      ---              420          1.88%
This computation shows the GOTM score is not set ideally. If a civ grows by 1.88% per turn then it is doubled after 37,21 turns. But in the beginning (when you grow by building new cities) the empire is doubled in less than 20 turns; with WLTxD it is less than 15 turns; with good caravan shipping (and ship chains) it may be even faster.

This means that your score will be highest if you will keep your game up to 21th century and micromanage 200 cities - but that's boring.

I suggest to adjust the formula.

ST

I double checked the 1.88% growth rate for 420 turns -- and yes, maintaining that growth rate will generate a score of 50 stopping at any turn along the way. However, I think that your conclusion is flawed. Empirical results to date show scores both above & below 50

In fact, I think I’ve seen scores on the range of 350…So taking your thoughts one step further, I threw a factor of 7 into your equation -- so the opening turns could score a 350 with a few pop points, raging hordes & a wonder (similar to a GOTM that we enjoyed last year). However, toward the end of the game, a final score of 350 would require a civ score of 84000+ by turn 400 & 120,000+ by turn 420 -- and our records for highest scores seem to lurk around 15-16,000 or so. Hmmmm I think that there is an internal max, and that the game has constraints (such as 255 cities, only so much land area, etc.) that limit the ability to maintain the growth path of some factor above your break even rate.

Thus, due to the game limiting constraints, the current scoring formula has sufficient merit to justify its continued use.

Over on Apolyton.Net Samson has posted a patch for Civ2 2.4.2 (only) that removes the Dye/Copper "bug" in demanded commodities.

<link removed for now>

I am just beginning to look at its effects, but it seems that lowering the number of cities that demand Dye due to the "bug" increases the numbers that demand other things, especially Wool, Beads, and Salt, which are often hard to find demand for. This can help your early caravan deliveries find demanding cities, which can increase the payoffs significantly (50-100% early on).

I bring this to everyone's attention because it does look like a benefit to play but we ought not to compete "unpatched" and "patched" games in current GOTMs. I suggest we consider GOTM31 as the first "legal" game for using the patch, as it looks like there is already a Spoiler thread going for #30 so some people have already played past 1AD.

Since the 'patch' is only available for 2.42, and thus not available to all players, it cannot be used right now.

Also, since the 'patch' seems to be an altered version of the Civ2.exe file, I'll have to see if it falls under the 'pirated' category.

Edit: I'm also going to cut out the link until I get a ruling from TF.

Originally posted by ElephantU
...it does look like a benefit to play but we ought not to compete "unpatched" and "patched" games in current GOTMs. I suggest we consider GOTM31 as the first "legal" game for using the patch...

Somehow, we just have to make sure that EVERYONE has this patch that decides to play a GOTM (if MGE patch is available, of course).

Sorry if this has been asked before, I just jumped to the last page...

I was trying out the current GOTM (35) and I noticed that the years went by incredibly quickly, somthing unreal like 950AD... is this a particular GOTM feature, or is it because of the difficulty setting (I've never played above chieftan lol)?

Your rules guide states that reloading the game (such as to get optimal huts) is against the rules. Aside from the obvious - its pretty hard to police aside from pure trust - wouldn't it make more sense if each player could get exactly what they wanted from each hut? Here is my reasoning:

1. Civ 2 is a game of skill
2. Huts are highly luck based
3. Using reload, huts can become strategic (not every time will you want the same product from a hut).
4. Civ2 gotm would be more strategic if each player could reload until the hut gave them what they desired, or huts were removed entirely from play.

Top Bottom