Gotm18-Celts - Pregame Discussion

They use some kind of utility to figure out the turns per reload, which means how many turns you played in a session. If it's really low, they will look further into it and exclude that game if it is indeed a heavily reloaded game.

Originally posted by squidd
thank you sirs. and also to controlfreak.

just one thing, i am unable to join in the gotm because i don't have the current version and download speeds on our side of the world are comparable to crawling. makes me so sad...

one other thing which is rather off topic, is this not saving and reloading an honor-based thing or is there a way to empirically safeguard against it?

again, my advanced thanks

Welcome to the GOTM. Let us know if a zipped version of the latest patch to an email address will help as we welcome all newcomers.

Don't focus on the reloading issue just don't do it. Play for enjoyment and honourably and you should not have any problems.

Here is a link to the GOTM's allowed and disallowed rules and exploits http://gotm.civfanatics.net/gen/rules2.shtml

Well I downloaded my first GOTM game. Here's hoping I don't finish dead last :lol: .

I've never played monarch and am mostly a warlord player with a few current excursions into regent level.

Chris1111,

You are not alone :), THis will be my first GOTM that I actualy Will Finish and Submit.

I have just finished Sirp's Monarch TDG just a week ago.

I'm going to start.
I don't have to wait for the previous GOTM results since I wasn't able to finish in time :cry: .
Hopefully things will get better this time.

See you in the spoilers!

Greetings Jurimax

@Moonsinger, I'll try your tactic with masses of Warriors (and hopefully gold too) thanks for all the great contributions you (and others) have made to the community.

Originally posted by ControlFreak
Not reloading is mostly on the honor system. The GOTM staff has certain .SAV file criteria that they look at for indications of behaviors that imply reloading and will investigate further if they smell something fishy. Just don't do it and you'll be fine.

What Civ are you running (Mac, Vanilla (Regular) or PC PTW)? What version do you have? Is your download any faster if the files are zipped and emailed to you or FTP from some other site? There may be another way to get you the files.

i am using an unpatached PTW for PC. The thing here in the philippines is that although our ISPs have pretty ok speeds, everything screws up because of the public telephone switching system which constricts the bandwith. as an aside, broadband is not prevalent, and as such, not financially viable for many.

sorry sirs for being OT, thank you for allowing me to vent out my frustration at being able to read about but not being able to join all this GOTM fun.

God, how small can you zip an 8MB patch... even just a 2MB dowload can take forever.

Originally posted by Phillip_martin

Welcome to the GOTM. Let us know if a zipped version of the latest patch to an email address will help as we welcome all newcomers.

Don't focus on the reloading issue just don't do it. Play for enjoyment and honourably and you should not have any problems.

thank you philip,

sadly philip, 40-minute downloads of 1MB files are not unheard of here. i've seen the patches and at 8MB they will take forever...

if i may say so, if i do get my hands on a broadband connection, i will download the patcfh, burn it onto a CD and vooom. Why didn't i think of that sooner...

thank you sirs.

Wow!

I thought I had it bad with a 9MB/hour connection. It took me an hour to download the 1.29 patch :( and that was a long time. The rate of downloading is about 3kb/second which is much slower than my friend @ about 10-11kb/second.

this is my first GOTM game

it suits me sort of coz i play regent and sometimes monarch
can't wait 2 see how i go

Welcome fanste,

Look forward to your submission.

Top Bottom