Gotm18-Celts Results and Congratulations

Originally posted by Gen. Maximus
Talking about domination, I was nearly wiped out of the map by Romans in 2470BC(32nd turn) when undefended Entremont was captured

Your kidding? Hah! I went thru the replay of your game and noticed this but I thought you gave it to Rome to purposely move your capital to Alesia (for the fish). IIRC you took it back shortly thereafter?

Some people actually watch the replays of the games ? WOW !
Nice !

For any of you out there, there is something interesting about my game : even though I was in war non stop the whole game after 1000BC (so 2000 years) : I only got 3 Great Leaders (FP, Sun Tzu and Leo's) in the whole game, that was about 1 GL every 60 elite wins ! UNBELIEVABLE ! :wallbash:
Talk about a bad RNG luck :D
I actually thought my game would never be a good one because of this :crazyeye: :lol:
Only at the very end of the game did I get 2 more leaders, I built an army, handbuilt the Epic and of course immediately after I got one more leader...but then the game was over :)

it's true the future tech is not worth it i just turn off the science and use the cash to rush build imrovements of course i've never hit future tech in a gotm.

Smirk,

Quote:
"I went thru the replay of your game and noticed this but I thought you gave it to Rome to purposely move your capital to Alesia (for the fish). IIRC you took it back shortly thereafter?"

Yep, my warrior from Alecia took the city back in the next turn. I didn't not expect Romans to attack as they were "polite". But when they step inside to my borders, I know I'm in hot soup!!! I sort of undersetimated the AI intentions as I was taking it easy as it was only Monarch level.

I've been sneak-attacked like that as low as warlord level -- part of the reason I can't ever bring myself to run a pure farmers' gambit. I *hate* losing cities! :) Kudos to Gen Maximum for such an excellent recovery.

Renata

Great job everyone especially Moonsinger with 20K so early. I am especially dissappointed to not get my submission in on time. My domination victory in 1255 would have put me in 16th place, but I need to get to work and finish my game in time!!! I guess too many hours with my son instead of what's really important ;) No, but seriously, I can't explain it, but I feel as though I let myself and everyone down for not submitting a game for the first time in 6 or 7 months, is that a really weird thing to feel?

Have found that my game doesn't appear on the results table (like Emperor Dodone) and have resubmitted. Can someone let me know that it has actually been received?

Thanks

Congrats to everyone who won, sympathies for those who lost

Gen. Maximus: great job in placing 13th in the final game after having had such an atrocity occur early on!

Ribannah: 2000 cultural points per turn....WOW!!!

Originally posted by drewshark
I am especially dissappointed to not get my submission in on time. My domination victory in 1255 would have put me in 16th place, but I need to get to work and finish my game in time!!! I guess too many hours with my son instead of what's really important ;) No, but seriously, I can't explain it, but I feel as though I let myself and everyone down for not submitting a game for the first time in 6 or 7 months, is that a really weird thing to feel?

I know how you must feel (save for the little boy that I don't have yet). I am foreseeing troubles in finishing GOTM 19 in time but I vowed to surrender all my cities and lose the game on May 31st if I don't manage to win.

I've just been replaying this game with my CIVReplayViewer (is advertising allowed here?:D ).

I had the audacity to compare my game with Moonsingers. Maybe it's just not visible in the stats presented, but it looks like Moonsinger starts quite slowly. If this is really the case (of course, there may be things she's doing which don't show up on the Score/Power/Culture/CityCount stats) then its frightening to think what she could do if she started quicker!

She should answer about that but I'll give it a try.
Now I have not taken a look to Moonsinger’s games for a while but I remember she uses a dense ICS build that focuses on increasing the number of towns and building warriors for a mass upgrade. She attacks the first civ around 1000BC or later and never stops from then until they all bite the dust. She is doing 40 turn research and saves the money (she may have up to 1000 gold by 1000BC !!!)
This would explain her relatively ‘poor’ QSC score on the old QSC scoring and the civ score as well. On the new QSC score she ranks top ten.

Thanks Yndy.:) In the GOTM18, I was too busy with building the temple and the Pyramid at the begining. Since there was no food bonus near the starting location (except that one fish which wasn't enough to feed my Culture Center), that would explain why I was moving slower than the turtle. By 1020 AD, I was falling behide Bamspeedy, SirPleb, and Bremp by about 1000 points; however, the 20K Culture bonus and the early push in massive hospital construction project did help boost my final score. Through out the entire game, I tried to slow down the tech pace by constantly giving the AIs some thing to do (just as long as they were at war all the time, they couldn't focus too much on research). The slower the tech pace, the better chance for me to beat them to the Great Wonder. Even when I was capable of ending the war quickly, I intentionally delayed the war for as long as I could. Fishing for great leader was actually the most fun part of the game. Basically, I targeted their horses and irons first, then lured all of their best units into the killing field. After that, it wasn't hard for my elite units to generate great leader by slaugtering their weak defenders (mostly against their spearmans after that - no problem there).

Originally posted by Moonsinger
Even when I was capable of ending the war quickly, I intentionally delayed the war for as long as I could.

Moonsinger, you're too modest :). In a 12 turn period from 370AD to 480AD you wiped out the Carthaginians, capturing 18 cities. In my (admittedly small and inferior) book that isn't delaying! Not only that, but during that same period you also capture 6 Chinese cities, 1 Roman, settled 13 cities, and built the Sistine Chapel and JS Bachs Cathedral!

This was just after an 11 turn period from 260AD to 360AD in which you finished off the Iroquois (4 cities) and the Greeks (7 cities), captured 1 Chinese city, settled 4 cities and built Sun Tzu's are of war!

In my opinion this aggressive period is one of the parts missing from my game. One of my failings is that I was too scared to do much warring. I tended to only attack one Civ at a time, and then only in short bursts, not making any real impact. It's interesting to note the shape of your territory at this point is quite a nice square/circular shape, so helping movement/corruption/cultural security.

Dianthus,

Yes, I did try to expand as much as I could right around the time the AIs were about to understand the secret of Feudalism and shortly after they discover Feudalism simply because I didn't want to give them enough time to build pikemans or to upgrade their spearmans. Overall, there were a lot of delays in my game. For example, I could have gone all the way to invade China after I had draw out and slaughtered all of their fast units, but I decided to give them a break. I also gave England and France a break too. I attacked France just enough to gain passage to the Aztecs' homeland; it was the luxuries that I was really after. In any of my game, taking control of luxuries had the highest prioprity than anything else. I like to keep my citizens happy.:)

Originally posted by Skyfish
@hotrod : To give you an idea, I had the third fastest Domination win. I never researched, slowed the pace down dramatically (as SirPleb so beautifully described) and the last tech I ever had was Chivalry...far, far away from Sanitation. :D Never even tried to get high population.
I stayed the whole time in Despotism ! :lol:

With the eighth highest domination score (22nd overall) you can use my game as another benchmark. Like Ribannah I did not get out of the industrial age and never got into that next spoiler :).

I used Archers very early on to restrict my Carthigan and Roman neighbours while growing and getting a stack of warriors. Research was a 10% and my early techs were from peace deals.

With my money stash and Iron working - Celtic Warriors :hammer:

The difference between my game and the elite players is what Cracker alluded to with the short rushing and unit shuttling. I considered this to be one of my best games but still had to progress down the Knights to Cavalry path to finish the job as I had started with goal to have a 100k victory (cash went into infastructure not just units).

Still I never got out of Monarchy and didn't actively slow down the AI research.

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/games/gotm18_celts_results.php

The GOTM18 results have been updated to fix a few mistakes on our part. Yurian's game was a 20k Cultural victory, not 100k as previously noted, and so he wins the award for that victory condition along with having a slightly higher score. So congratulations Yurian! (Sorry Moonsinger, I guess you'll just have to live with 'only' the Gold medal for the month. ;) )

Also, a few games that had slipped through the cracks the first time around are also included. Dupa, Emperor Dodone, and Timbonutski, thanks for submitting, and sorry it took so long to get the results updated to include your games.

Top Bottom