Gotm19-Ottomans Pre-Game Discussion

I've been looking for hours and yes it's embarrasing but I cannot find any link to the actual game save file for GOTM-19. Since spoiler threads are out I assume it is somewhere.

Could someone please help a newbie ? :)

The save file location is in the read me that was part of the install package you downloaded.

@ bouchehog (or anyone) - I thought industrious forest chop was five turns? Also, are you taking into account the need to use the lux slider (maybe as high as 30% at size 3 if the warrior is out exploring) when you calculate your pottery research rate?

Renata

Damnit you're probably right. As I said I don't have my copy of Civ to hand and won't until at least Tuesday and so I can't check this. If someone could confirm then that would be useful.

I'll have a quick look at how this will change things...

Originally posted by Renata
@ bouchehog (or anyone) - I thought industrious forest chop was five turns? Also, are you taking into account the need to use the lux slider (maybe as high as 30% at size 3 if the warrior is out exploring) when you calculate your pottery research rate?

Renata, I really can't answer your question about the luxury slider as I can't experiment. However we have until turn twelve to research it (i.e. we have to have it before 30 shields are produced and the settler completes) or to buy or trade it if another civ is nearby.
I think that we will probably be able to do it anyway, but if not then our first exploring warrior will have to get his ass back to camp. The suggestions higher in this thread were that you should be able to research this before turn ten and thus be free to adjust the slider as you wish after this. Hope this helped. :)

I have update my opening analysis based on Renata kindly pointing out that it takes five turns for that damn woodchuck to chuck wood.

Also some kindly mod removed my triple post (I think this must be some sort of record for someone with only seven posts!) and quoted my altered anaylsis - thanks! But it means that I have to update in two places, and might confuse people. I've therefore removed it and would be obliged if you'd delete the below posts. Thanks!

Due to family commitments, I wasn't able to download and start over the weekend, so I spent some more time browsing other opening move ideas and read an interesting one on another site. An Archer rush, considering the probable nearby nasty neighbors and the potential to upgrade to longbows and then to guerillas, that might be a solid plan. I'll probably start with a couple of warriors and see if iron appears on one of nearby mountains. The temptation is their even if there's iron, as longbows hit as hard as med inf and are much cheaper. If no iron, I'll probably try the archer rush and see how well it works.

I've also decided to send the worker SW and the warrior NE to get the most view as possible before settling. Hoping for a cow, wheat or a coast with fish. Here's hoping for lot's of resoures and luxuries + weak & passive neighbors. Both very unlikely given the recent GOTM starts.

I certainly agree that an early military will be vital - the map shows no signs of abating to the east, west or south and conceivably could wrap to the north! Thus considering crackers introduction hints at being a vehicle for trade I suspect that we will be between at least two civilisations and thus if we're not careful a potential target to all of them.

As regards my army production, I'm going to see what the initial screens reveal. If as I suspect there are no bonuses near then I'll rush my granary as per by outline above. This will mean that my capital produces food more quickly than settlers can be produced and thus it will become a settler only factory.

If a bonus square is revealed then I will either relocate, or have to reconsider my position as it will change my potential after turn ten. We'd have to play this by ear.

If there's a bonus grassland hiding where I can't initially get at it then I will continue as per my outline above and then improve the second bonus grassland meaning that I can produce a warrior and settler almost as quickly. Alternatively I could reconsider the whole granary rush thing.

If there's a bonus grassland to the south-west, or east of the first one, then I'll have to reconsider the whole senario as it will make our start position very productive indeed.

If I can expand rapidly then I'll produce mainly warriors and hope that I can upgrade them at some point, bribing my way to peace until then. If it turns out that there is no iron but horses near to hand I will take this as a hint and go into full scale horse production. :) I don't like the idea of an archer or warrior rush as the AI gets such a starting bonus. A later archer attack might be an issue as we will appear weaker to the AI due to the rounding effect one our more expensive units. That is, 2 warriors = 1 archer, but the computer can build three warriors before our second archer, making us look weaker. :(

Bouchehog...With this in mind it is time to get out the paper.
An impressive analysis. The scratchsheet resolved a 2 shield+1g difference over 17 turns!

(a smiley w/a green eyeshade would be good here)

You have made me reconsider the granary, though. I was inclinded to move away from the mountains, but the forest is tempting.

Right now I'm working through SirP's QSC18 timeline - very illuminating. However, my D2 exploits are a major distraction right now.

For future reference: Having the old GOTM save files linked to the QSC results page would be helpful to people following the timelines.

Very kind but I'm still waiting to see if it works, or is even applicable! Of course the analysis represents a worst case senario where we currently see the best resources available. The situation will vary hugely if some major resource were to open up on turn ten - given the defecit of resources it would even be prudent to move toward it if you're fortunate enought to discover one. I shall be doing a very similar study once I know more about my starting location, but of course you'll have to wait for the spoiler thread! ;)

Speaking of spoiler threads, Cracker, please be careful about naming the threads - from the title is possible to infer that there are three civs "Green-Brown-Red" close enough to discover quite quickly. This fits my assumption that we are flanked on three sides being placed on a cross-roads between them all, however I'd rather not know because I might change my stategy and then I shall feel guilt for using this attained knowlege. Perhaps I'm being nieve and I'll meet all three civs by turn ten anyway - a really tight opening could be fun, although very hard!.

Tragically I should have got my CD today but my brother forgot to post it to me, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I thought I was going to be playing on monday! I've even had to resist the temptation to do several more hypothetical studies despite the gob-smacking waste of time this would (or could) represent. Better to twiddle my thumbs and wait until I know! Thank god there are so many wonderful strategy articles out there. :)

I just moved last weekend and my wife thinks it's more important to unpack the kitchen and the baby's clothes than to setup the computer so daddy can play Civ. I'm hoping to use this weekend to get setup and maybe make to 1000BC. We'll see home many hours I can manage to squeeze in.

Well keep in touch as we'll be going at the same pace! We seem rather behind the others with their newfangled second spoiler thread.

I've just got my CD and I'll be starting tomorrow, so wish me good luck!

I haven't started either, and can't probably until this weekend. Maybe after, even, since I'm both househunting and due at my sister's for combination Mother's Day/sister's birthday/brother-in-law's birthday on Sunday.

Some people have their priorities really messed up, is all I can say. :D

Renata

What can I say. I am in the same conditions, can't even think of when I'll be able to start the game.

To be honest, I still have to post my GOTM18 final spoiler notes, but I think I'm really too late for that...

P.S. Good luck, Bouchehog! ;)

Looks like I'll have to start this weekend. Not much discussion left. My goal will be to do better citizen management, and not loose of course.

May your huts be generous and your enemies divided.

Well, I finally got time to get my system put together and load the pre-game files and upload the game. I'm not far enough in yet to qualify for spoiler # 1 (no red guy yet).

The only comments I can make so far (without going spoiler) are thanks Cracker for a nice map and a very winnable game (so it seems so far). I'm up to about 2400BC and am doing ok so far. I'd like to talk more, but no spoilers allowed. For those of you who haven't started yet, give this one a try.

I'd also like to comment on the QSC. This is the first time I've used a timeline (thanks Moonsinger for the great template), and while I feel I'm learning alot and thinking about my next moves alot more, it sure slows down the opening moves. I was only able to play for about 2 hours last night before the sandman came to beat me on the head and normally that would have been enough time to make it beyond 1000BC. Since I haven't been able to complete the regular game for the last couple of months because of time constraints, I thought at least I could get the QSC done this month. Maybe I'll manage to squeeze in enough hours later in the month to actually finally finish one.

I should be able to make it to 1000BC tonight and will hopefully complete all the requirements to join the spoilers. So, see everyone soon in Spoiler # 1.

:wavey: :wavey:

Wow folks, this is one impressive site/concept. Your pregame discussion has already taught me quite a lot.

Although its late in the month, I plan to start GOTM19 today. My goals:
- Remain pacifist. Defense only, except against barbarians.
- Survive to 1000BC
- Build at least 1 spaceship component (pipe dream #1)
- Win the space race. (pipe dream #2)

(I laugh at myself as I type this...I usually play Regent/Monarch, standardmap, 4 rivals.)

My start plan:
- Warrior east for view, woker south for road, settler build at start unless bonus food located
- Max research, try to keep up with AI
- Defend capital well, then pump settlers
- Grab strategic land for trade blockade

I wonder how long a pacifist civ can survive on a small map with 7 rivals? I've loaded the graphics and avoided the spoilers..so here we go....

Welcome to the CFC and GOTM and good luck. I hope you get to the end of the pipe :)

Top Bottom