Gotm19-Ottomans Pre-Game Discussion

Originally posted by hbdragon88

So...a strong UU.

Do I take my chances? Better not with emperor. Last thing I want is to win that QSC award [getting killed before 1000bc]. Scaling demands are out of the question here...

...perhaps I should scrap my building style and start pumping out units in all cities.

Like Moonsinger said, we were just guessing. And even if an AI Civ does have a strong early UU, they might not get the iron to build them.

Grabbing land early is going to be important too. I reckon at least 5 cities with my spacing style - maybe 7. I dislike cities with max size over 20 - I built a lot of them in GOTM18 and they were a pain.

But more important than number of cities is placing them right. So warriors exploring rather than cooped up in cities will be more useful. Time to use the lux slider...

THANK YOU CRACKER (and ALL who help run GOTM)! A river capital, small map and Scientific Civ - reseach is gonna be quick at first.

Wonder how grumpy the Keltoi Attitude will be? Ah well, I'll find out soon enough (looking at the clock, longing for a download).

Originally posted by alamo
Most of the serious patching was on the MP part, so I don't think it makes that much difference.

Read all about it: Patches (scroll down)

My suggestion is to play a few informal games BEFORE starting the GOTM. My first impression was a significant improvement in the AI strategy. Also, there are several new features to get acquainted with - new civs, stock exchange, civil defence, the internet, outposts, radars, etc.

Thanks!:) After further reading, I think I will settle for patch 1.14.

When's the sav for 19 comming out?

GMT +10 its now been the 1st of May for 12 hours.

Keep an eye out for the near by fish or cattle....

In the test sav file the romans had machine gun militia in 4000bc. Have I done something wrong or is this just to demonstrate the unit?

Gotm19-Ottomans is now available for you to play if you have prepared your game plan.

Before you download the game, I again want to encourage some of the newer players to hold off in the rush to dive into the game too quickly so that you might take advantage of the QSC strategy discussions and results that will be available from Gotm18 in the next several days.

I again want to remind all players to not participate in this pregame discussion thread in any way once you have downloaded and opened the game file. Again, we will be taking the mature route and trying to leave this discussion thread open to support players who have not yet viewed any portion of the game.

If you have technical questions or problems with either the PTW or v1.29 version of the game, DO NOT POST those issues here or in any other discussion thread. Contact me by email at gotm@civfanatics.net with a description of any perceived problems and we will work quickly to resolve any potential issues.

You may find the location to download the save game file for your version of the game to match the installation instructions that you have followed, by looking at the end of your setup instructions in the readme.txt file.

Good luck to all players in your first Civ3 GOTM efforts as Muslim rulers of the world. Civ3 is Great!!

Originally posted by BillChin

Capt, attacking with 2-3 archers is rolling the dice big time. On Emperor the AI gets five free units, and you will almost certainly face spearmen. If early war is your pleasure, I suggest waiting for five archers plus a spearman, or doing a warrior-swordsmen upgrade and waiting for ten swordsmen. For the latter, research Iron Working straight off and build 3 or 4 cities before attacking. For archers, two cities (capital plus one) is often preferred but on Emperor there may not be time for the second city. Swordsmen have much better odds.

Thanks, Bill. I'll take your advice on that one.

I just tried playing a practice emporer level game last night as the Ottomans. I used a small pangea map to get an idea of AI movements. I've never played an emporer game before. I got a slow start after meeting the Persians and losing my 2nd city to them just as I founded it. I quickly ended that war and had some time to grow, and did relatively well tech wise. Unfortunately once i discovered iron, none was to be had. I really had to stretch to find some. I met a few more civs. I went to war with the Spanish and promptly lost another city and decided I had had enough. I don't know if I tried to push for war too much. I didn't want the Spanish moving into our (me and Persia) island. So, I'm just a bit worried how I will do on my first GOTM. If I don't win, no big loss but I just have that desire to do good at it.

Im taking your advices here to heart as much as I can, I just hope I can remember it all when crunch time comes, after I get off work today, and then take my class tonight.

On a side note, I started my first Regent game last night as well, and Im doing quite well if I do say so.

Good luck and have fun everyone. This will be my last post on this thread.

The Ottomans are one of my favourite Civs, I love Scientific, Industrious and I like small maps so I'm really looking forward to Cracking this one.

I agree with the Captain that the hut warrior move depends on the position on the map as I'm moving to the mountains primarily to explore not to find a better place to settle the capital. I'm also moving the worker to the grassland shield to work it. I'll only move the settler if it can access a 3 food, 1 shield tile or better in one turn.

The other thing I will remember is not to build more than 3 new warriors before the second settler so as not to pay upkeep costs. Like Shillen, I expect to obtain Pottery in about 11 turns due to the river and instead of the fourth warrior intend to build an early Granary to double food surplus.

I will decide on victory after a few moves.

For players new to Emperor level Ambiorix posted a practice file with a similar starting position on page two of this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51485&perpage=20&display=&pagenumber=2

Novice players can hone their skills with a couple of practice starts playing either to 1000 B. C. or the end of the first age, using this file (PTW only). The early game is critical, because a poor start can doom a player on Emperor level. The QSC timelines for the April game (eta 10th day of the month) can also be a good learning tool. Another good resource for learning is the Succession Games section.

Good luck.
+ Bill

Hello to all,

Finally the Ottomans prevail, though Emperor difficulty. It is fitting if one remembers history. I have tried GOTM a few times but haven't been able to completed it the 3 months. I just run out of time. how do you Guys do it? I get to 1000Bc and prep my notes for QCS but then, the month goes by.

I just learned of Ottomans today after returning from a trip to Sofia, and now sipping my lemon tea watching the sunset over the Bosphorus on a beautiful spring day. I am at work so I haven't started the game yet but here are some tidbits that might be useful.

Like Rome, Istanbul is also built on 7 hills so I would expect some hills around the starting position. There are no rivers but there is Bosphorus!! and the Golden Horn and both the Black Sea and the Sea of Marmara so I would expect Istanbul to have access to sea in the game. As the decendents of Ottomans, Istanbul is located NW of Turkey with Greece on the West, Persia to the East, Russians to the North and finally Egypt to the South. In addition I would expect France (Ottomans traded very heavily with France) and China ( Gunpowder) to be candidates for our rivals in the game.

So good luck to all.....

Good luck everyone!!

Gonna see if I can finally finish a GOTM for once! Lol!

Whats you secret people?

Well I can start playing tonight as I downloaded the game. Of course, if I opened it before heading to work...

This will be a very rough start. I generally avoid small maps like the plague, as the AI will sometimes start a war way to early.

This will be my first time with a revised small map strategy. The extra free AI troops can be brutal in the "weak Civ" calculations particularly with Hoplites being the free defense unit for Greece.

I think I'll move my Settler to the SW. I will move my warrior to one of the mountains, but that will be for scouting out for a second city site. The Settler move will be to get as many high food tiles in the city radius as possible. I might change that if the warrior reveals some very good tiles off course.

I will start gotm 19 any day now, as I've missed the last 2 gotm's due to lack of time.

Greets Jurimax

I am going to download the game tonight, and probably leave work early on Friday to start the game(Yes, I do have my priorities straight!!;)

I want to thank Moonsinger for helping me to understand things alittle better:goodjob:

and also thanks to everyone for some great advice!!:thumbsup:

I hope that I can remember all of this when I start playing tomorrow afternoon

Bye, bye and see ya in the spoilers or where ever you may be!!

We start in the northwest corner of the main map with mountains to the W,N & NW, a bonus grassland to the S, with a couple of river squares in sight. We've got an bonus warrior and +25 gold. Being the Ottomans, we are industrious (masonary + faster workers) & scientific (bronze working + cheaper libraries..) and our UU is the Sipahi (8-3-3) replacing Cavalry. Our probable neighbors include Rome, Greece, Carthage and Russia (maybe China & France). Being on a small map, research costs will be reduced, but so will availble space for cities.

Probable opening gambit:
Send warrior E to scout for 2nd city site & neighbors.
Send worker south to road then mine bonus grassland
Found 1st city in opening location begin new warrior, set science to max and aim for iron working.
Have 1st warrior walk the mountain ridge to gain as much vision as possible.
When 2nd warrior is complete, send to scout west
Move worker to SW of city and irrigate then road plains
When worker done begin road to 2nd city site
When 3rd warrior done send to scout south begin 1st settler.
Hopefully, by then there'll have been meeting with 1 or 2 AI's and some trading has happened (looking to get wheel, pottery & alphabet).
First warrior to reach coast or get cut off by AI returns to garrison duty.
Probably try to squeeze in 6-7 cities. Try to get Great Library.
After initial expansion complete, will build barracks and upgrade warriors to swordsmen and take out weakest neighbor (grow to about 12 cities). Then evaulate neighbors to see if any ripe for pickings. Else wait for Middle Ages to begin Knight / MI battles. Hopefully can get to Military Tradition by 1000AD and use Siphai's to become dominant power on planet.

Of course, there might not be any iron nearby or my neighbors might be Greece and Rome, making it tougher for my swordsmen.

Then on to Plan B (why do plan B's always suck!!)

I just downloaded the game :) and this thread. I'll unsuscribe to this thread and read over the nine pages of this thread for the qsc discussion.

I think I'll wait for the GOTM18 results, as C suggest. I regretted not waiting last time. Some of those QSC logs are very interesting.

On the plus side, I finally got my game PC networked!
[dance]
Getting the wireless stuff to work w/DSL was a bit of a pain, but I saved some serious $$ by not going top of the line.

Still talk of granaries! Such a divided opinion on the utility of food storage on a small map. Seeing the QSC results should prove interesting.

Ok - here's my plan. Small map on emperor means we get a good start or die. This game is not going to be decided with cities of population 20+ so I'm going to plan my cities on the assumption that none will need to get larger than 12. This means a fairly tight build - each city will have 9 squares and share the rest so I'm going to be building 3 squares apart. This also has the great advantage that once roaded I dont need ever to leave a unit in the open. Good for defence.

So - build in opening location and start mining BG. Warriors on mountains looking for a close site for second city. I want to have 3 cities up and running as fast as possible. So settler out of starting city. Second city will build granary if near food then pump settlers for rest of game. First city now builds granary and pumps settlers and workers. Other cities build barracks then pump chariots to be upgraded.

In my tournament games, there was no doubt that early horsemen were much more effective for me than swords even on small maps. They can move so much faster in attack and are much more flexible on defence, able to hit and run. Given our later Sipahi, I'm heading straight for wheel and hoping that horses are nearby. If not then plan B.

The drawback to the tight build is that you can lose out on landgrab - ideally there will be a choke point I can block to prevent AI ingress.

The higher the level the more important luxuries become. Having two or more can make the difference between success and failure. Trading one lux for two can be very lucrative and a good way of keeping up with tech is to trade lux. Any and every lux in sight will get a city. Any lux between me and the AI will be a priority. If necessary troop building cities will have to wait.

I'm not planning an early rush - depends too much on the luck of the dice roll (ask Killer and Wildfire ;) ) A solid economic base is needed first. When I have 7 or 8 cities and 3 or 4 of those are pumping out chariots/horse then I'll consider the first attack. I'd like 30 horse but 20 may be enough to do some damage and gain some leverage. Again I'll mainly attack to gain luxuries and resources first.

I rarely build any wonders before middle ages and often not then either on Emperor level. Often ToE is my first wonder and I'll prebuild in a non capital site so I have palalce as prebuild. I certainly wont be attempting to build any at the start. I've had to swallow losses of 300+ shields in the past and its such a waste. Let the AI build them. I'll trade masonry to my nearest neighbour and hope they build Pyramids for me ;)

Of course the reality is that we will have three rabid warmongers nearby, be surrounded by desert and jungle and all plans go out the window before 2000bc. I'll start playing Sun eve all being well.

Top Bottom