Government

Tiger_Nation

Warlord
Will all the features of government be compatable for example if you have slavery will representation, universal sufferage and freedom of speech and free market be blocked to you. Other example could be police state and pacifism which should not be allowed together.

thats a very intresting point..i havent read to much about it..id hope so. some of those options wouldnt suit eachother very well.lol

slaves with freedom of speech would be quite funny

Tiger_Nation said:
slaves with freedom of speech would be quite funny
then again there was the good old USA pre 1865......lol

and nowadays but without the freedom of speech aspect

Exactly the point, there have been a number of 'Representative Democracies' which have not only tolerated, but encouraged, slavery. Not just the United States in the 18th and 19th centuries, but also Ancient Greece. My feeling is that it will only be options from the same category which will be locked out (so, obviously, emancipation and slavery together will be out of the question ;)!)

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

I think the developers left an openess to the players options. If you want to tailor your societal values set up, you may have to alter ruling factors. Other then that I think it's all free game.

Kurioku said:
yeah it's called darwinism.

Sorry, maybe I'm a little slow on this one: why is slavery with freedom of speech darwinism?

Kurioku said:
yeah it's called darwinism.

I'm having a hard time seeing the parallel on this, as well... and I am a (near) fanatical darwinist

does anyone actually know if there will be some which are not allowed together as they clearly should not be? In Alapha Centauri the base of this if you were the scientists you could have a fundamentalist government so presumably if it is based on this it will be similar.

From the pictures there are 5 columns. You can apparently choose one row (once it is unlocked by techs) in each column. Other than that there does not appear to be any restrictions.

This shouldn't be a problem if the devs work hard on separating the different categories. What you shouldn't be able to do naturally is have a representative and a dictatorship at the same time (representation), or things like freemarket and communism (economy)... everything else should be left open to mix it up (that is exactly the point of having this system of gov customization).

Yes I know you can only get one from each column but that wasn't what I meant

thats a bit stupid really

Does it really matter gameplay-wise? I think you are confusing realworld with gameplay which must make shortcuts and abstractions. This is why there are 5 rows and 5 cols with no real restricition other than technology, to be simple yet allow tradeoffs, not to allow for every nuance in socio-political theory.

Civ is a game, not a simulation of the real world.

but some cannot exist together and civ should represent that

Give us the examples that can't.

universal sufferage and slavery
barbarism and state property

Top Bottom