Governments

Kaiba

Chieftain
Which governments do you switch to?
When i discover republic i switch to that. Then when i get the Statue of Liberty i switch to Communisum. I use that until i get all the science improvements (not including future tech). Then i will switch to Fundamentalism and Lower the Science rate to 0.

I play Despotism->Monarchy->Republic->Democracy usually, and repoublic and democracy I switch to when I feel my empire is ready for it, while Monarchy I switch to the first oedo year after I get it and is my first scientific goal.:)

Kaiba, I am by no means the best player on this board. I am probably in the bottom 10%, but I like to hear my self talk so here goes:

On the lower levels, I like to do what you do, going straight from despot to Republic. However, from king level up, it is much better to switch to monarchy first. In republic, you pay 1 shield for every unit except for camels and diplomats, which really slows down your advancement. This is a real problem at king+, because in republic you cannot squelch unhappiness with martial law, and your cities cannot get very big (the fourth citizen of each city starts out unhappy on king, 3rd on emporer, 2nd on diety) until you build some 'happy' improvements, typically temples, market places and coloseums. So on these higher levels, you are best served by going to monarchy, where the first 3 units supported by each city are free. Plus, you can get one more content citizen for each unit in a city, so you can grow your cities a little more freely while you crank out some early wonders and the 'happy' improvements. It also allows you to explore a little more freely.

Once you switch to republic, you have only one goal: to make your cities grow, fast. As noted, you need happy improvements. You need to be prepared to rush build mikes chapel and bach's cathedral as they become available. This is really important with Bachs, because theology (the tech which allows it) cancel's the Oracle (if you built it, and it really helps in higher level games). SO you have to make Bachs come on line the turn after you get theology, so the "cathedral in every city" can replace the "+2 content in each city w/ temple" from the oracle.

Once in republic, turn up the luxuries. In each city where more than half of your citizens are happy and there are no unahppy citizens, that city will hold a celebration day. The celebration will continue until an unhappy citizen appears or you lack the luxuries to make half or more happy. Each day a city celebrates under republic or democracy, its population grows by 1. This allows you to build very large (relative to the level of the game) cities early in the game.

Some time during this, I like to switch to Democracy. I like to build spaceships, and democracies, with the extra trade, celebration days and no corruption or waste, is by far the fastest way to develope new technologies.

If you prefer conquest, I still would suggest democratizing for a while, specifically until you develope mobile warfare. Democracy trade/tech advantages will allow you to develope a new tech every couple of turns, at least. You can then use the statue of liberty to switch to commy or fundy and launch a world wide campaign. You will have tanks, battleships, transports (and pretty soon, stealth aircraft, howitzersand huge cities which can pump them out at an amazing rate.

Note that you can conquer the world as a democracy. I do this by building shakes theater in my best shield producing city. Then I use my railroads to move all new units on that continent to the shakes city and support them from that city. Since shakes suppresses all unhappiness, these units can move around freely. With industialization, you can support at least 50 and eventually 100+ units out of such a city. The challenge becomes 1. get the ai civs to declare war on you. 2. Conquer them completely before they can sue for peace.

The Anals of Rome timeline on the Civ2 timelines page gives a great description of how to do this.

It is always valuable to move to democracy as quickly as possible. Economic possiblilities are greatly expanded.

personally I go

Despotism -> Monarchy -> Democracy

I sip republic and never use any of the other gov's - but then I don't go in for conquest so demo is best for building / research.

personally I go

Despotism -> Monarchy -> Democracy

I skip republic and never use any of the other gov's - but then I don't go in for conquest so demo is best for building / research.

Me too. Depo->Monarchy->Demo! But I am starting to insert Republic in there. It is much simpler to expand in monarchy, but I am beginning to look at going to republic sometime before Demo is available to speed up the economic side of things. Money, in the form of trade arrows, drives this game, and republic gives a boost to trade long before democracy becomes available.

The trick is to build your civ into a solid, viable organization, and than, at the right moment, switch to republic.

Depends on the game, but usually: Desp, Monarchy, Communism (sometimes Fund. for a short period of time, only when I really need to) and finally Democracy.

My typical path has been Desp->Mon->Rep->Dem->Fund->Dem->Fund->Dem, end.

My first Fund phase is typically infrastructure catch up & and/or cavalry assaults on the infidels. Usually take out one to three civs at this time. Then I’ll take a pause to refresh the units, burn a few turns in Dem, getting a tech a turn or so & go out in a second wave & clean house with modern troops.

I am finding that the trick to switching into republic is to have at least two irrigated grasslends and one mine in each city before switching out of monarchy (irrigation can be supplanted by wheat/pheasant/fish when they are present). Otherwise greedy defensive units and hungry, hungry settlers consume all the cities resources and really slow down my expansion. Also finding that it helps to wait until magnetism to go into democracy. That way I (insert correct name of 0 attack sailing ships) to transport my settlers and diplomats without pissing off the people.

(correct name of 0 attack sailing ships) = Galleons

Kaiba, you forgot to mention Monarchy between Despo and Republic. That is the place to get some key terrain improvements done before Settlers take up two food in Republic. I consider Commy and Fundy a step backward, reserved only for dire military emergencies. If you are doing your research and growth correctly you should not have any. Republic gives you an extra trade arrow in every tile that has at least one, and the opportunity to quickly increase your city sizes via We Love The Consul Days. If you have readied yourself for Republic, the only extra step you need for Democracy is to build Galleons and rehome the "away team" in your Shakes city. Democracy keeps the extra trade of Republic, eliminates corruption and bribery and allows an extra happy citizen in any cities with Courthouses. It is fragile (hit F4 at the end of every turn) but allows you to bury the other civs with techs and gold. If you want to finish with a few turns of "global thermonuclear war", switch to Fundy for the suppression of unhappiness, extra gold from happy improvements and lack of support for military units.

Mon - Rep - Demo, and sometimes a sidestep to Fundy: To make money for bribing enemy cities.
Have you ever made 4000 gold a turn without taxes? I'm a fan of celebrating Fundamentalism - 50% science, 50%lux. I had had games where I developpedt a tech ervery turns in Fundy. I rush temples, market places and cols in every city. A celebrating Fundy city produces the same amount of trade arrows as a republican or democratic city.
If I can avoid Fundy, I stay in Demo.
Sometimes I switch to commie for 20 or 30 turns - only to produce tons of vet spies. With those spies I poison the water supplies of my enemies until their cities have size 1. Then it's much easier for me to take the cities - they cannot support lots of defenders, if they are in demo.

monarchy->republic->democracy
if there is word i change to fundamentalism, comunism or monarchy, the more advanced goverment

Emperor, King, straight to Monarchy ASAP.
Then I try to build more Dips and bribe Barbs, also a Trireme w Dip Captain to bribe some AI Nones. I monitor F11 Mfg and the sum of all units in F2, and hope I'll loose less than half my production when I switch to Republic. Mike's helps a lot.

With more cities, corruption grows. Finally I have many cities with 50% corruption, so Democracy becomes an overwhelming temptation. I used to need Women's Sufferage for Democracy, but now I don't bother. I used to need Bach before Democracy, but now I am comfortable building it shortly after the switch to Democracy.

I plan city support for war unit continuously, even in Monarchy. One war unit per city. Shake's for SSC.

Regarding Fundy, I'm not sure. I generally get by with Statue of Liberty to declare war, or better yet Explorers as AI bait.

I usualy go rep after seafaring, by that time I'll have a stack of caravans build, celebrate while delivering caravans and buy harbours and markets from the profits.

BOOM :D

in my deity 1x1x games, i go for monarchy and mostly stay that up to discovery of democracy. if i get statue, i go for communism, otherwise i stay monarchy the entire game. The reason for this is:
1. better defense
2. better production

i make up for the science and gold output by making a good SSC with the city i build HG or Colossus or both in. I build up the SSC fast by making a granery in it and irrigate it. all my trade routes go to the SSC. This is almost as fast as republic or democracy and gives you far more opportunities for defense and war at lower cost.

Use Monarchy to do your major terrain improvements, especially around your SSC, but then get out of it as soon as you can, due to high corruption and bribery vulnerability. You dont need better production and defense (I assume you mean 3 unsupported mil units) if you have WLTCD your cities up to size 8/12, and when you switch to a trade-based system you can buy the shields you need, as well as bribing enemy units to become unsupported mercenaries.

In demo and rep you can also grow cities much faster with WLTxD, and big cities usually have quite good production (10+) even if it's not placed in a production terrain.

Top Bottom