[R&F] Governors are kind of immersion breaking.

Civilization-specific governor art is simply not worth the large amount of effort it would take for Firaxis and a rather dumb request for modders to do for each of their civs as well. Even culture specific portraits - while not as unreasonable request from modders since we wouldn't have to make new art - is still a heavier task than it is really worth. The cultural units are not really comparable since those textures are far lower effort than an individualized portrait.

I'm happy they went with full color portraits rather than icons as it makes the governor screen (Which it looks like you will be spending more time in than the GP screen) far more visually pleasing and interesting.

It's only immersion breaking if you ignore how often foreigners held government and educational offices in nations throughout history AND you ignore that civilization is necessarily alternate history at best, with massive levels of cultural exchange from the beginning of time.

As several have stated, I think the primary goal was to have something that would be recognizable and that you would immediately see when you looked at one of your cities. I would not want to have to open a city screen just to ensure that I have a governor there or to remember exactly what he does. Nor do I want to have to memorize a list of different governors with the same abilities. It could be done differently, as also stated several times (icons; one image, unique names; etc.), but I'm fine with the way it's handled. I really like how they have enhanced the information available in the name box above the cities to allow information on several items to be obtained with a quick glance rather than having to open the screen.

When you really think about it, the very premise of the civ genre breaks immersion. After all, the game mixes and matches leaders from vastly different time periods and are immortal. You can have Cleopatra right next to Theodore Roosevelt. And that's is fine and all part of the fun of the game. Any immersion breaking from the governor system is rather small in comparison.

When you really think about it, the very premise of the civ genre breaks immersion. After all, the game mixes and matches leaders from vastly different time periods and are immortal. You can have Cleopatra right next to Theodore Roosevelt. And that's is fine and all part of the fun of the game. Any immersion breaking from the governor system is rather small in comparison.

No, cos we are making our own new immersion. And we play as a historical Civ. I am the Aztecs. I am not random group of people X from Alpha Centuri or BE. Sure - people from different cultures have ended up serving elsewhere from whence they came; but rarely far enough until modern times for it to be anything like what is presented by the governors. It is immersion breaking for the very premise of the game.

No, cos we are making our own new immersion. And we play as a historical Civ. I am the Aztecs. I am not random group of people X from Alpha Centuri or BE. Sure - people from different cultures have ended up serving elsewhere from whence they came; but rarely far enough until modern times for it to be anything like what is presented by the governors. It is immersion breaking for the very premise of the game.

Honestly, I did not even really notice that the governors were immersion breaking. I just saw them as different "characters" that you recruit. But civ has always had a lot of immersion breaking details from archers that shoot way too far, to buildings that take centuries to build, to leaders who are immortal. So I am puzzled how people can accept one but not the other.

Honestly, I did not even really notice that the governors were immersion breaking. I just saw them as different "characters" that you recruit. But civ has always had a lot of immersion breaking details from archers that shoot way too far, to buildings that take centuries to build, to leaders who are immortal. So I am puzzled how people can accept one but not the other.

At least the archer models look like regular humans. Same with the leaders. However, do you really think a governor who looks like humpy dumpty is realistic?

At least the archer models look like regular humans. Same with the leaders. However, do you really think a governor who looks like humpy dumpty is realistic?

Not all of the leaders though...

civ6-ghandi.jpg

2KGNOV_CivilizationVI_DLC4_MACEDON_ALEXANDER_HERO.jpg

civ6-pedro.jpg

I play Egypt, Greece, Rome, France, I do not play a leader, I would be fine if the game had none, leader are absolutely not required for me (and I do use historical start date mod too BTW)

Because yes, immortal leaders are immersion breaking too, but at least we have an option to prevent any duplicate leaders in our games, I hope that we'll be at least able to mod that for governors too.

To break immersion, it is just a matter of adding enough elements that make you remember that you're only playing another game, until you reach the breaking point, so IMO any time someone argue that there is already a lot of immersion breaking elements, he's in fact making a point as to why we shouldn't add any more.

Civilization-specific governor art is simply not worth the large amount of effort it would take for Firaxis and a rather dumb request for modders to do for each of their civs as well. Even culture specific portraits - while not as unreasonable request from modders since we wouldn't have to make new art - is still a heavier task than it is really worth. The cultural units are not really comparable since those textures are far lower effort than an individualized portrait.

I'm happy they went with full color portraits rather than icons as it makes the governor screen (Which it looks like you will be spending more time in than the GP screen) far more visually pleasing and interesting.

It's only immersion breaking if you ignore how often foreigners held government and educational offices in nations throughout history AND you ignore that civilization is necessarily alternate history at best, with massive levels of cultural exchange from the beginning of time.

Again I think the main complaint is (or should be) the clone factor. That's my beef anyway. Seeing multiple Amanis competing for city states is just weird.

Mechanically, governors are interesting. Provides as means to specialize cities.

But yeah, they feel like a narrative mismatch given that they aren't customized to ethnicity. If you play a space 4X game as fish-dude, you probably expect your governors to be a fish-dude, not a rock-dude.

I don't think renaming the female African diplomat "Otto" is going to help with immersion.

I also don't think making 7 distinct character illustrations for each of 34 civilizations is really a viable option.

No, but removing the portraits and then giving names for each that are unique to civs/regions is.

But nobody has mentioned the other deal breaker: these governors are 'superpowered.' Cheese at its finest. They are going to play whack with the core elements of the game. It is looking less and less likely I buy the expansion, unless there is an option to turn governors off.

Top Bottom