1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics/Sound Problems? - Please post your DX Logs.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by ainwood, Oct 28, 2005.

1. kitty675

kitty675 Chieftain

hi when i first got this game it worked fine apart from the intro vid was a blank screen and i could just hear the the sound. also the wonder movies were scrambled and have stuttery sound. i just downloaded the 1.52 patch and now i get graphics for the intro vid but every couple of seconds it flashes with a scrambled image along the bottom half of the screen which looks like the first screen of the intro vid. then after about 30 secs the video freezes and only the sound carries on. apart from that the game works fine but i would like to see the videos!

Attached Files:

2. Markus Auraleus

Markus Auraleus Chieftain

Hi guys, I have the 1.52 patch and i have my latest drivers for my video card, I have a RADEON x300/x550 series card but I am losing memory the longer I play the game :( . Any tips or tricks to help me out ? [civ4]

3. NikNak

NikNak Warlord

I get weird shader artifacts on some of the leader animations. Everything else works fine (no CTD's, no stuttering) but this just annoys me. The weird thing is that this only started after patch 1.52.

Anyone out there know anything about this?

Attached Files:

4. sacredcat

sacredcat Chieftain

I have problems with black terrain and game crashes. Here are my specs from DX diag. Can anybody help?
    I was thinking of buying a new video card.....an ATI 9600se AGP 128 MB.
    Does anybody have that card and how well does it work?

Attached Files:

5. Lt mor

Lt mor Chieftain

Its so sad ...

Attached Files:

6. mageta621

mageta621 Chieftain

After I load Civ4 and I attempt to start a game Mostly everything loads and minus the world, and whenever I try to interact with the map my monitor goes into standby mode and I cannot wake it up unless I restart.:wallbash: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System specs
    ------------------------
    Pentium 4 - 2.0 Ghz
    512 Ram
    Radion 9200 Pro - 512MB
    Creative SB Live!

Attached Files:

7. Snackwell

Snackwell Chieftain

It's been the same problems, from 1.00 to 1.09 to 1.52. More civs + more time = more problems. Dark terrain, weird texture mapping (leader heads on terrain...), eventually crashes to desktop. I am nowhere near minimum specs: GeForce 5700LE (128 m), 1 gig ram.

Save game and dxdiag attached. I was irked but accepting that the first release didn't work -- this is getting ridiculous now, though. I have memory saver and low graphics on -- not that I should need them -- and it still gets slower and slower and eventually crashes.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

8. PDXcraterman

PDXcraterman Chieftain

Have 1.52. can play for anywhere from 15 min to 1-1/2 hours with no problem. then all of a sudden i get a restart on my computer. I think I meet the recommended specs or a little higher :confused:

Here is my DXDiag right after the reboot.

Attached Files:

9. mhjhahkh

mhjhahkh Chieftain

Keep getting the Renderer message. Done everything tech support suggested. Replaced video card with GeForce 6200. Updated drivers on card, Tried installing in safe mode. A "second level" support tech was supposed to contact me after i sent them the dx report but all they did was e mail me the standard stuff. Any suggestions? If so, please keep them simple. I'm just a fat, bald, middle aged white guy.

------------------
    ------------------

10. mad mark

mad mark Chieftain

I get a freeze at some point approx. 20 to 30 turns in on any variety of game, reload game, chokes at the same spot. I beleive that I've got everything dumbed down to the minimum, running 1.52 after fresh install, clear the cache, etc, doing everything I've read here. The hardware:

AMD XP 3000 Barton, Albatron KX400-8xv, 1.0 Gig RAM, GeForce FX 5500 w/256, Realtek Ac'97 onboard sound, everything with latest (and fresh) driver/bios update. Please refer to attached dxdiag.

Any help, suggestions, sympathy, etc. greatly appreciated. I'm nearing the end......

Attached Files:

11. mad mark

mad mark Chieftain

Forgot to mention all game freezes that i get are between turn, most likely when a leader pop up is trying to occur. Mostly it happens when I'm meeting someone for the first time. I just started a new game and it froze 6 turns in. And, no, my video card isn't overheating :confused:

12. mageta621

mageta621 Chieftain

looks like a lot of people are having problems, but nobody knows anything of how to fix them...(unfortunately)

13. dbrown00d

dbrown00d Chieftain

14. Indiana

Indiana Chieftain

Well I feel fortunate not to be sufferring from all the problems you all are (knock on wood)...though I do see one issue which I do not know if it is crappy coding or part of these on going problems with Civ4.

Issue....
    With a "Huge" map, when I scroll out and view the globe, the clouds stutter. Kind of annoying. Anyone else have this issue?

My System details:
    AMD 3800 Dual Core
    ASUS SLI Deluxe mb
    dual 6800 Nvidia video cards
    2 Gigs of RAM
    8195 Nvidia Drivers
    Directx9c
    the latest Civ4 patch
    etc, etc...

Kind of over kill for Civ4 which why I am surprised I get the graphics stuttering of the clouds.

Kind of ironic I could play WoW at the maximum setting with no lag yet Civ4....well you get the idea....

15. Indiana

Indiana Chieftain

Well it appears rebooting fixes this issue. It was interesting. I started up the game and the intro movies were a bit slow. I thought that was weird so I rebooted. Cleared that up, so I checked the cloud movements....that was ok now too. I am betting on a Memory leak some where in the game.

Power house of a game resource wise it seems. They still need to a a bit of refining given all the comments.

16. boneys26

boneys26 BTS Play session tester

ok here it is i was running v1.09 patch with a few problems......slugish etc..
    downloaded and installed v1.52 patch and now all i'm getting is

FATAL_ERROR
    Your system has run out of video memory. Please try reducing your video settings. File:\main\civilization4.bak\SDKs\gamebryo2_0\core libs\NiDX9VBmanager.cpp,line:1018

then when i ok that i get:

Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library
    RUNTIME ERROR!
    Program:...Raxis games\sid Meier's civilization 4\civilization4.exe
    This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
    Please contact the support team for more information.

then when i ok that one the screen doesn't return to the size it should be or the desktop just locks up and i have to reset the pc. Please help me sort this one out my system spec is:

Athlon xp 3000+ 2.2GHz
    1GB pc3200 400MHz ram
    ATI Radeon 9600pro catalist v5:13 (latest) with 256mb onboard ram
    sound blaster live 5.1 surround sound
    windows xp home sp2 + updates
    all drivers are updated and are the latest ones my dxdiag is attached for you to look see thanks

my dxdiag is here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=153621

17. spdrparker

spdrparker Chieftain

When I first started playing, everything was fine, but occasionally it would crash the game or reboot the computer when it came to the Wonder movies. I went to this board to see if anyone had found a solution. Most people suggested updating the driver for my card, a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX card, but after updating the main menu is completely messed up and sometimes it freezes in the 2K logo movie. I've tried adjusting my options for the card, but nothing seems to work.

Anything you can do would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

18. greenscreen

greenscreen Chieftain

hi folks!
    by all appearances I'm not the only one with these kind of problems which means that it might not be my comp as originnaly considered it could be! :)
    anyways my problems are as so:
    1.sounds is skippyish
    the sounds on my introduction vids are kinda skippish its like you can hear it then it stops and continues it doesnt fall behind as far as I can tell.
    2.Terrain Graphics are funkyishish
    the terrain begins by not showing "face" then as the game continues It slowly begins to reveal itself on different sections of the screen I only stayed around long enough for this to happen once but it started in the upper right corner and revealed itself a bit at a time as it went along. evetually the entire screen was revealed however this did not seem to effect the fog of war or that is when I moved over a black spot on the minimap I could see all the terrain so I already knew if there was an island in a certain spot before I explored it. this did not appear to affect things like units, cities, tile improvements, or resources. :confused: also I almost forgot I treid adjusting the graphics quality to low and it was the same
    3.People not apearing
    the skin of the characters in the windows which they appaer is invisible I can see teeth, hair, eyebrows, ghandi's eyeglasses, and sid's firaxis logo on his shirt, sometimes eyeballs, george washingtons crovat. and everything else is invisible. once agian I tried setting the graphics to low and it did nothing.
    and heres my diagnostics I dunno what all that means but whatever I suppose. my diagnostics appear to be to long for one post so I will be posting twice more.

19. greenscreen

greenscreen Chieftain

I need to look over the contents first before posting be back soon.

20. Zydor

Zydor Emperor

greenscreen

Post the file, not cut & paste - using the 'go advanced' button at the bottom of this thread - scroll you'll see it

Regards
    Zy