1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics/Sound Problems? - Please post your DX Logs.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by ainwood, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Jove

Jove Not Lacking Altitude

I think I said this somewhere else, but I'll say it again in the hope that it helps. I had big problems running a 64MB free video card with an Athlon64 3200+ chip and 1Gb RAM. Once I swapped in an ATI 9600 XT 256MB 8X AGP card, the game ran the way the early reviewers must've seen it. Just great, doesn't ever crash, barely a blip of any kind of trouble.

2. laserbear

laserbear Chieftain

Installed Civ4 and patch 152 on new Athlon 64 system with Win XP SP2 and NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Game initializes to a blank screen with jerky audio during 2kgames splash screen and initial video sequence. Then gets to screen with earth shot and civ 4 title (see attached screenshot). Clouds move, song plays, and lighting cycles, but nothing else. No menu. Same thing happens whether started full screen or windowed.

Any clues? :confused:

Attached Files:

3. laserbear

laserbear Chieftain

4. Jmanrazor

Jmanrazor Chieftain

I have seen problems similar to mine, but not quite the same. I will be playing the game, when suddenly, I get the dredded "System has run out of video memory. Please try reducing your video settings.
    File:\main\civilization.bak\SDKs\Gamebryo2_0\CoreL ibs\NiDX9renderer\NiDX9Renderer\NiDx9VBManager.cpp, Line:1018"
    The game quits, and C++ gives tells me that CIV has quit in an unusual way. Then, everything has odd colors and is a lot biger. I have found out that why it looks so strange is whenever it does this is that it changes my computer to 800 by 600 and colors so low my computer doesn't even recognise it. Similar problems have been solved by setting graphics in the options menu of the game to low, but mine was already like this when I tried. Any sugestions other than saving often?
    PS: I have a 256 MB GeForce FX 5500 graphics card. does that have somthing to do with it?

5. warrak79

warrak79 Chieftain

6. Akhenaton

Akhenaton Warlord

Here's your problem:
    This IGP doesn't support T&L. You need a graphics card with T&L support, ("GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better").

7. stevil711

stevil711 Chieftain

Okay, I imagine this is more or less the same problem everyone else has, but I experience the same little error box popping up stating that an error has occurred and the program must close. The frequency of these crashes increases as the game progresses, until by the late game it's almost unplayable. Clearing the cache lowers the frequency, as did tweaking some .ini files. Stuttering in the wonder videos was fixed by .ini fixes, but the CTDs are persistant. Version is 1.52, I'm using the 71.89 drivers with a Geforce 6600gt, but the crash frequency is dependent on driver version. I've tried most every fix I could find in multiple combinations; unpacking graphics, updating XML and Python, lowering all graphics options, disabling sound, disabling AA with RivaTuner and switching AGP aperture to 128Mb and to AGP4x.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated,
    Steve

Attached Files:

8. SkyRattlers

SkyRattlers Chieftain

I'm having the ever common problem of the game playing for anywhere between 5 mins to an hour and locking up and crashing. I've tried adjusting the ini file. I've turned off AA, write faster, hardware acceleration, etc. I'm pretty sure I have all the latest drivers, directX, etc.

So here's my dxdiag file in hopes that someone can see something that might help me.

Attached Files:

9. krazyday

krazyday Chieftain

I just installed my Civ 4 and when I go to play it, it has this problem: A required .DLL file, DSOUND.DLL, was not found. P.S. I don't know how to get my DirectX diagnostics, when I do the search in the Run menu it comes up with nothing, not found...pleas help, i really want to start playing soon.
    Edit: I found my dxdiag through the Search tab, and here it is...

Attached Files:

10. Akhenaton

Akhenaton Warlord

Your DirectX runtime installation is probably corrupted or it could be that DirectSound can't find your audio driver. You could try reinstalling either one or both.

CMI8738 driver
    DirectX 9.0c runtime only

11. krazyday

krazyday Chieftain

I just installed my Civ 4 and when I go to play it, it has this problem: A required .DLL file, DSOUND.DLL, was not found. Just adding a newer posting. Really want to play so please help, my dxdiag is in my other post.

12. Akhenaton

Akhenaton Warlord

If DxDiag doesn't report any problems, then it's really not much of a help. Zydor might reply that your HW doesn't meet the MSR (even if it clearly does) or state that your "hassles" are due to HW because it's not "acceptable" to him.

Some crashes are naturally due to HW faults (bad design, manufacturing defect, too much overclock/overvolt, etc.), but in such cases other similar games should crash too and the machine should be unstable in other ways. If you read the forum, it soon comes pretty evident that the suggested solutions are presented in the few key threads and once you have gone through all of them, nobody will be able to help you by just looking at some dxdiag report (which almost always list no dxdiag problems but give specs which can be attacked as the suggested cause of the problem).

I think that after all of the standard solutions have been exhausted, the next step for everyone should be to send crash dumps, log files and traces directly to 2K Games Support (instead of Microsoft through their Windows Report Control). Coders at Firaxis are the only ones who have the sources and debug builds, who can actually find out why their SW crashes in particular situations. If they then discover a solution/work around, which is not a patch to their own code, they can post it as a FAQ answer in the 2K Games support site, so we can link to it from here. Even if they develop diffs which are not released as independent patches, waiting for a commit to the next main patch, they can still inform people who have the problem that a fix to it is on the way.

Core dumps can be generated from Python by setting
    Code:
    GenerateCrashDumps = 1
    in CivilizationIV.ini and these will be written on disk to the user "temp" folder (rather large, but may be necessary for the devs to really find out what happened prior to the crash).

Instead of binary dumps, which might be difficult to send to support if they don't provide FTP or similar facilities for it, it might still be helpful to send basic logs with a text symbol table dump (such as provided by Windows standard Dr. Watson). In any case, after all the help and suggestions other forum members can offer, only the coders can do something to fix bugs in CivIV. They won't be reading every thread and post here, if any, so it might be necessary to push the support email route to get this information to their attention.

13. krazyday

krazyday Chieftain

Well, I had a problem earlier after I just setup my Civ 4, however, my latest problem is this: Civilization4 has caused an error in MSVCR71.DLL. Civilization4 will now close. P.S. my dxdiag is in my other post earlier.

14. raja2002

raja2002 Chieftain

Thanks a lot!
    I tried the Omega-Drivers and it worked.
    The Games is now running without any problems.

15. Akhenaton

Akhenaton Warlord

Start DxDiag again and run the tests (not just save the information after loading DxDiag and leave it at that), at least for the sound subsystem.

Btw, you didn't indicate that you installed patch 1.52. Verify that you did.

While it doesn't tell us much, the coders will be able to give you help if you report the exact module address which crashes in MSVCR71.DLL (exported function). You should be able to get this from the Application Log. You could also check that the version of it is at least 7.10.3052.4 (this is the official runtime version distributed with .NET 1.1).

16. krazyday

krazyday Chieftain

exact module address which crashes in MSVCR71.DLL (exported function). You should be able to get this from the Application Log?? So, where do you want me to go? I'm sorry but I'm obviously not that good at computer information. P.S. I have patch 1.52

17. Ralts

Ralts Chieftain

OK, apparently I have the memory leak problem.

Upgraded to the latest patch.
    Brand new computer.
    Here's the DXDIAG for my machine as of this morning.

The game SERIOUSLY slows down after awhile. This is the ONLY game I have the problem with, and I play City of Villians quite a bit.

Any and all help would be appreciated (Aside from suggesting hardware replacements, which I look at as a last resort)

Attached Files:

18. Akhenaton

Akhenaton Warlord

Play smaller maps and wait for the next patch. The last resort solution is to go and buy a nother stick of RAM (to bring it up to 1GB).

19. Ralts

Ralts Chieftain

That's what I was afriad of. Oh well, hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to the RAM store I go.

Thanks for the help. It's nice to know it's not my machine.

20. mcduffee

mcduffee Chieftain

Hi,

Running the 1.52 patch and the latest drivers AVAILABLE for my ATI card (not the latest - ATI does not offer them I believe). The card is 64M though running DX 9.0c. I posted the dxdiag. If there is something that can be done I would very much appreciate the help.

Sean

Attached Files: