1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics/Sound Problems? - Please post your DX Logs.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by ainwood, Oct 28, 2005.

1. AstroCat

AstroCat Chieftain

If I use the EAX settings I get clicks and pops in the streaming music.
    And, some of the interface SFX are missing.
    I do not have the clicks and pops or missing SFX in any other EAX enabled game. And, if I use 5.1 or system config I do not get the pops and clicks in the music or missing SFX.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Mallek

Mallek Seraphym Vampire Hunter

From what I can gather we all need to get a new high end Graphics card like a Radeon 9000 which isnt cheap, bit of a bugger when you have just forked out $50 on a game, hopefull Firaxis will have come up with a patch or work round before I get a chance to buy a graphics card. Here's hoping:) :sad:

3. coyote

coyote Chieftain

Am I the only other one having the same problem as Jawster? Everything else seems to be working fine with the execption of a bit of audio stutter. I just can't read the city names, size, building info, etc. See attached screenshot.

Video card: 3Dlabs Wildcat VP880 Pro
    CPU: Intel P4 3.0
    RAM: 1.0Gb
    HDD: 200Gb w/ 80Gb free
    Audio: built in AC97

Any thoughts???? Anyone???

Attached Files:

4. speed15_75

speed15_75 Chieftain

Im having the same problem plus the eyes and mouth only leaders and the black background.

5. meglamaniac

meglamaniac Chieftain

I get the severe jerking when zooming out to the globe view in-game, although the globe on the main menu is fine. I also get audio stuttering on the wonder movies. The video on the movies is fine, but the audio does a 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off job on me.

The basics of my system are:
    Athlon 64 3000+
    1GB RAM
    nVidia Geforce 6600GT (128MB) PCI-express version
    Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS soundcard

This is a system that can play Doom 3/Halflife 2 comfortably at 1280x1024, so I am finding it difficult to figure out why Civ 4 has a problem rendering a fairly simple globe view of a map.

DX log included.

Attached Files:

6. piroscavich

piroscavich Chieftain

My graphics seem to be fine except for the non-religion movies (which looking in the app directory are .dds files). They just show up as multicolored garbage. Here are my specs

XP64
    XFX 7800 GT
    Athlon 3700
    1 Gig RAM

Attached Files:

7. wspirit

wspirit Chieftain

this is my combuter and this is the error that hapen when i try to run the game

8. Gorian

Gorian Chieftain

i get the jumpy movies... and when im loading the games it gets to done then it doesnt go any further... then it crashes.. and its annoying...

Attached Files:

9. rucknrun

rucknrun Chieftain

I have a Geforce3 Ti 4200 w/ 128M RAM or something like that. I had to buy a new card. The game is virtually unplayable between the Memory dumps and the whole thing just locking up. It is a little frustrating.

10. goofball2004

goofball2004 Chieftain

Hopefully this hasn't been posted already, but sorry if it has.

My problem is whenever I start up Civ IV, it goes to the "loading" screen, and then it goes to a blue screen. I can still hear the music, and after a few clicks of the mouse, it goes to the "earth" screen. But it doesn't show any words except the big CIVILIZATION 4 at the top of it. Has anyone had this problem??

I just installed a new video card and another 512 of ram.

XP Home
    Sempron 3300+ 2.0 ghz
    1 GB ram
    fx 5500 EQ 256mb video card
    120 gb hard drive

And I just installed DirectX 9.0c.

Any help would be most appreciated!!!!

Attached Files:

11. badlydubbedboy

badlydubbedboy Chieftain

I've got a Radeon 9800 Pro - it can handle other games fine, but when I try to play Civ4, after about 10 minutes the screen freezes and reverts to Windows with a VPU Recover error message - if I'm lucky. Other times, the PC itself freezes, or I get a horrible mess on my monitor - vertical pink boxes down the entire screen, that sort of thing.

DXDiag.txt enclosed - please help :)

Attached Files:

12. Theodon

Theodon Chieftain

The intro and all the movies except the christanity came up with stuttering sound and vision of multicolored pixcels. Was a slight slow down at a couple of stages but other than that its fine, but it would be nice to see the movies.

Attached Files:

13. alanpdodd

alanpdodd Chieftain

I have Windows XP 64bit ed, AMD 3500+, 2 GB ram, and nVidia 6600 256. All fully patched to the latest levels.

The problem I have is that one of the intro screens and all the wonder movies do not display, they are all the screens are blocks of corrupt looking graphics, sound etc and general gameplay no problems at all, just these moives. I thought it may be a 64 bit thing, but looking at the problems everyone else is having I am not too sure.

Anyway, dxdiag/dxdiag64 attached.

Attached Files:

14. pyromantic

pyromantic Chieftain

here's my file. I get a black map as in i can see resources and units but not the terrain. I read that sombody changes the xml to always show map. Anybody know how?

Attached Files:

15. Johndoe123

Johndoe123 Chieftain

Hello, I have the Intel 82865G Video Controller. When I start Civ4 it runs ok until it comes to the leader pictures. The leader pictures come out very funny and most of the face is missing, except parts of the face like the eyes and hat.
    Then the game starts and most of the screen is non-viewable, specifically the map even after it's discovered and stood upon. Everything stays black. Enclosed is the DXDiag file.

Attached Files:

16. y123

y123 Chieftain

SAME STORY FOR ME nvidia fx 5700 except at the tiniest maps they work alright and i get it an little earlier as ive seen an lott of posts now this symptoms looks too be specific too nvdia move too hard at ur map is boot click during save is boot background popup is boot , i like the game i dont like the peep everytime windows is ready again too give it another try

for the rest

xp home sp 2 latest version
    cpu dual 3 ghz pent 4
    1024 ram
    256 mb nvidia fx 5700 newest drivers
    soundblaster 5.1 newest drivers
    dx from the disc
    if u got an solutition contact me somehowe

17. Polietileno

Polietileno Sleep Is For The Weak

Despite the fact that I´m running the game in a VERY low end computer, what is the problem to the black screens, not seening the hammers and things like that?

18. Ghazi_Foj

Ghazi_Foj Chieftain

I have a Similar machine: XP 64 bit, AMD 3500+, 1GB ram, and an nVidia 7600GT. I had a 32 bit version of windows installed, when I did, the opening movies played fine. Once I switched to 64 bit windows, the opening movies look corupted.

On both 64bit and 32bit Windows XP, the game plays fairly well for awhile, then the interface freezes up from time to time. Ocasionally, the interface disappears and then comes back. Things get especially bad on larger maps and in later eras. Sounds like a memory leak to me. I've also had my machine reboot, sometimes with and other times without a blue screen. It's never crashed to the desktop.

Attached Files:

19. Jove

Jove Not Lacking Altitude

Okay, I think i have the permutation of settings you'd want. My setup:
    Athlon64 3200+ 2.0Ghz 1000MHz FSB
    2X512MB DDR2 RAM
    GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB (overclocked from 250 to 280)
    Latest driver. DirectX off the CD(this helped more than anything btw), Windows XP. In-game graphics set to 'low', dithering turned off with hardpage.

The game can just about be played. The map starts out appearing normal, but something or other always degrades. Maybe icons become invisible or garbled. Maybe the land becomes tye-dyed or partly blacked out. Sooner or later the system crashes. The leaderhead graphics appear to be working like they should...

Attached Files:

20. gamefather

gamefather Chieftain

For those of you having the sound issue cutting in and out, how many of you have WOW? I tried playing wow and now its sound is screwed up. Little bit of research shows both use fmod.