great artists you would want in bnw.

Looking at the GP name list, I saw Leonardo da Vinci as a GE. So, will there be no Mona Lisa, or are they going to change him?

If they're changing him, I hope his replacement as a GE will be a real engineer, not an 'inventor'. I'm hoping for Terzaghi, particularly.

Looking at the GP name list, I saw Leonardo da Vinci as a GE. So, will there be no Mona Lisa, or are they going to change him?

If they're changing him, I hope his replacement as a GE will be a real engineer, not an 'inventor'. I'm hoping for Terzaghi, particularly.

I believe Mona Lisa has been confirmed.

Besides, what exactly is stopping them from having a great person be several types? Why can't he be both a Engineer AND a Artist?

As far as musicians go, I'd imagine the composers of the basis for each Civ leader's theme will make an appearance, if applicable (For example, Mozart's Requiem for Austria, Prokoviev's Montagues and Capulets for Russia). I'm guessing Tchaikovsky will already be included (Swan Lake or the Nutcracker), but one of The Five composers would be neat as well. Maybe Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade or Mussorgsky's Pictures. Vivaldi's 4 seasons is a good bet as well. Dvorak already has his own soundtrack in the game, but I'd imagine they'd reuse it for the great musician, so New World (2nd Movement or 4th Movement) will be on there. Maybe Rachmaninoff or Shostakovich.

As far as writers go, Huxley's Brave New World better be on there. Orwell's 1984 might make an appearance as well. Augustine's Confessions might sneak in there if they wanted to include theological works, but then I'd also imagine the Koran would be in as well. Dante's Divine Comedy will be in there (how would it not?). Homer is a must with the Odyssey or Iliad. Thomas Moore's Utopia would also be a good selection, given how it fits with the whole Civ theme.

And I don't know enough about artists to make any conjectures.

Of course, I'm very focused on Western greats here. I know nothing about Eastern culture to even fathom a guess.

For ancient/classical writers they should include:

Homer: The Odyssey
Livy: Ab Urbe Condita
Virgil: Aeneid
Aristophanes: The Clouds
Herodotus: The Histories
Moses: Torah
Paul the Apostle: Pauline Epistles
Sun Tzu: The Art of War
Muhammad: Koran
Confucius: Great Learning

we could have Carmen Miranda, which is a portuguese great artist who immigrated to Brazil and became famous, is a great person who could represent both countries now its included in the expansion.

could boost and influence happiness and tourism.

For ancient/classical writers they should include:

Homer: The Odyssey
Livy: Ab Urbe Condita
Virgil: Aeneid
Aristophanes: The Clouds
Herodotus: The Histories
Moses: Torah
Paul the Apostle: Pauline Epistles
Sun Tzu: The Art of War
Muhammad: Koran
Confucius: Great Learning

These would be too controversial because they are seen as real, sacred laws/stories by many and not as art by an artist.

For me I still would just like to see the epics:
Aeneid
Odyssey
Iliad
War and Peace
Les Miserables
Grapes of Wrath
Gone with the Wind

These would be too controversial because they are seen as real, sacred laws/stories by many and not as art by an artist

True enough, but you must admit, no matter your religion or ethnicity or whatever, that these people were great writers and these were great works.

True enough, but you must admit, no matter your religion or ethnicity or whatever, that these people were great writers and these were great works.

They made and destroyed civilizations; they're beyond art.

Also for another good religious work: Mahabharata

I really wouldn't want to see the Requiem as Mozart's Great Work, as he only wrote part of it. According to some sources, he actually might have only completely finished the first movement, Requiem Aeternam. He certainly wrote the vocals up until the first eight measures of Lacrimosa, but some historians believe the accompaniment for everything following Requiem Aeternam was written by Franz Xaver Sussmayr. I was rather displeased with it being chosen as the inspiration to Austria's musical theme.

Personally, I want The Magic Flute's Overture as Mozart's Great Work, and I would have chosen that as Austria's theme inspiration if I were the music department's head.

Lizst should be included. He's acknowledged as the greatest pianist of all time, as well as writing some incredible music. He could be included for Liebestraum or Hungarian Rhapsody. If performers aren't going to be in, then I think Liszt makes a nice compromise, because he was dually talented.

I believe Mona Lisa has been confirmed.

Besides, what exactly is stopping them from having a great person be several types? Why can't he be both a Engineer AND a Artist?

Leonardo da Vinci, Mayan Medieval artist who somehow survived 700 years, and betrayed his nation, to become the greatest Hun industrial engineer. :lol:

I know there are copyright issues, but seeing as Stanley Kubrick was already a great artist, I really hope they fit in 2001 as a great work. Or Orson Welles with Citizen Kane. Even a single movie, though I guess it'd be kind of weird to have a movie sitting in the Parthenon in 1200AD. Slightly easier to put in, I'd love to see them get around copyrights to feature Kurt Vonnegut or Ray Bradbury. Getting any 20th century artists/writers/musicians would be great, but those two especially because I'm biased. I'll toss Bob Dylan and Andy Warhol into that category too.

As far as other stuff, I'm sure most of it has already been said, and most of the stuff I want is either really obvious or never gonna happen.

...that being said, Festive Overture by Shostakovitch, is one I'd love to see. Also, Chopin's Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2. And I'll be legitimately disappointed if Gershwin doesn't make it in with Rhapsody in Blue. Basically, I just want to build nothing but great musicians.

They made and destroyed civilizations; they're beyond art.

Also for another good religious work: Mahabharata

About the subject, The Codex Gigas (Giant Book) would also fit this category. Once considered the eighth wonder of the world, the Codex Gigas stretches three feet long and weighs a hundred and sixty-five pounds. Would be very interesting addition at least.

The Codex Gigas is more of an artefact than a work of literature, though.

If they were introducing named artefacts it would be a great addition - but I don't think they are.

Named artifacts would be a good idea for the special ruins that show up upon completion of the Exploration tree. They would potentially be more powerful than the normal artifacts you can get.

Great musician(s): Led Zeppelin, great work: Stairway To Heaven

I wonder if it'll be possible to mod in Great Works. If so I'll probably get to work making a bunch of rock Great Musicians. The Zep song will not be Stairway. Probably Black Dog or Heartbreaker.

Nudity in artwork will not affect ESRB rating. God of War III has both nudity and sexual content in it's rating (http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.jsp?titleOrPublisher=God+of+War+III&searchType=title). Assassin's Creed II includes nude artwork (http://guides.gamepressure.com/assassinscreedii/guide.asp?ID=8929) but it did not receive a nudity rating although it did get a sexual content rating (http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.jsp). So therefore, the ESRB does not consider nudity in artwork nudity as ACII includes it but did not receive a nudity rating and GoWIII got both sexual content and nudity so we know that they are not both counted in sexual content.

Top Bottom