[NFP] Great Wall Usage

Bojmir

Chieftain
So I'm a bit confused on efficient use of this construct. I'm confused how to use it in such a way that it is actually efficient compared to basically any other improvement that would take up that many tiles? With cities only extending out 3 tiles, you would want to maximize their utility. Great wall doesn't seem like the bonuses totaled up would be greater than 2+ tiles being otherwise utilized. Thanks for any advice.

It's been a long time since I played China, but it is cheap tourism for tiles that otherwise might go unused. Of course with city-state picker and Rapa Nui, you can probably pick up more tourism with alternatives as well.

Put the walls on tiles that could only have farms (or on desert or tundra). Save your hills for production, but the walls are huge producers of culture and money, which can put you much further ahead than if you had just used that land for farms.

Also, the tourism that comes when you discover Flight is huge towards cultural victory.

Great wall is definitely worth the opportunity cost.

Well if my memory serves me right, a great wall segment with 2 adjencies (you will want to build long stretches) gives +6 gold and +4 culture very early in the game, in addition to the base yield. So typically you could have 2food, 6 gold, 4 culture tile yield early in the game: this is comparable to many natural wonder tiles, and you can build them basically wherever you like! What's not to like, and what's the alternative? a farm? for arguments sake, would you rather have a 4 food tile (grassland farm with 2 adjacency) or a 2 food, 6 gold, 4 culture tile? (great wall tile with 2 adjacency). The answer should be obvious :)

Top Bottom