Votes: 10 25.6%
  • 1980s

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • 1990s

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • 2000s

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
My favorite decade in music would be 64-74. Gets the best stuff by the Who, Beatles, Stones, my favorite stuff from Zeppelin, Hendrix, Clapton's stuff from Yardbirds, through John Mayall and Cream and Blind Faith, and his two best solo albums. It's got all the Kinks stuff worth listening to, etc.

Indeed.

Pink Floyd, Herbie Hancock, Aretha Franklin, Bob Marley, Roy Harper, Black Sabbath, James Brown, Simon & Garfunkle, Marvin Gaye, The Beach Boys, Captain Beefheart, Ennio Morricone, Stevie Wonder, Bob Dylan, Steve Reich, The Doors, Curtis Mayfield, The Band, Procul Harem, Otis Redding, Sly & the Family Stone, Merle Haggard, Santana, Ravi Shankar, Nick Drake, King Crimson, Funkadelic, Fleetwood Mac, The Velvet Underground...

And that's just listing stuff that I remember having in my CD collection. Add in all the other blues, folk, prog, funk, jazz, rock & roll, reggae, soul, pop, etc. and you've probably got more great music than from the rest of the century put together.

Indeed.

Pink Floyd, Herbie Hancock, Aretha Franklin, Bob Marley, Roy Harper, Black Sabbath, James Brown, Simon & Garfunkle, Marvin Gaye, The Beach Boys, Captain Beefheart, Ennio Morricone, Stevie Wonder, Bob Dylan, Steve Reich, The Doors, Curtis Mayfield, The Band, Procul Harem, Otis Redding, Sly & the Family Stone, Merle Haggard, Santana, Ravi Shankar, Nick Drake, King Crimson, Funkadelic, Fleetwood Mac, The Velvet Underground...

And that's just listing stuff that I remember having in my CD collection. Add in all the other blues, folk, prog, funk, jazz, rock & roll, reggae, soul, pop, etc. and you've probably got more great music than from the rest of the century put together.

I like that list of yours. We have some things in common. :)

I feel a soul kick coming on. Otis, Stevie, Marvin, Sam Cooke, Al Green... so much great music.

Care to elaborate? :)
Well, these are my "formative" years. I grew up in a small town (you're from NorCal, ever heard of Ripon? Its by Modesto? ;)) and didn't have any, really, like minded people, so I stumbled around and found things on my own. Primarily punk, new wave and then drifted into what used to be called "college" or "alternative" (back when alternative meant something distinct) music and other sorta related things like ska and surf music.

So, its no shock that my favorite bands of all time are primarily from that era:
The Clash, The Pixies (more to the end of that era), The Replacements, Ramones, Devo, X, Minor Threat, etc...

Bands from earlier or later that I love tend to have something akin to this era: The Who, Kinks, CCR, The Beach Boys. Probably the Libertines are the only band from this decade that I consider among my favorites.

No offense, but my inner punk to this day despises Pink Floyd, Led Zep, and all the whole 7 minutes-with-3-solos stuff*. I say that to pick an argument. If others love this stuff, so be it, live and let llive, I'm just filling you in. (*I know the Who can sometimes do this, but I can get over it because of their so many other qualites that I like)

What passes for "modern" punk/alternative is hopelessly word-that-does-not-exist-but-will-one-day-replace-gay-because-I'm-trying-not-to-use-it-in-the=perjorative-sense-anymore. It sounds like if every theater major formed a band. YECH. Too precious and self-aware.

But, that's me. :)

ymmv

I am biased by the decade in which I primarily grew up and "discovered" music. Sure I noticed it as a kid, but really didn't get into it until my preteen and teen years. So yeah, 80's for me.

I realized there was a lot of bad stuff about the 80's. Way too much keyboards. But in a way, they were new. Many new genres of music were born in the 80's. Especially in the metal subcategories. But you can't forget rap which has been huge. Pop music took a dramatic shift and focused more on keyboards and synths. Yes it was done to death, but it was fairly new at the time. Some of it still holds up fairly well. The brits had some good bands during that time.

Yes the 60's and 70's had some huge names, but there simply wasn't the volume of good music like the 80's had. Who can't remember when they first heard their first rap song? Or first Metallica song? So many new things came out of the 80's that seemed to me to be huge leaps in music evolution.

Yes the 60's and 70's had some huge names, but there simply wasn't the volume of good music like the 80's had.

Whoah. What?? REALLY?? *takes off gloves*

Pistols at dawn, sir.

Who can't remember when they first heard their first rap song? Or first Metallica song? So many new things came out of the 80's that seemed to me to be huge leaps in music evolution.

I grew up in the 80s too, so I understand what you're getting at, but I'd still argue that outside of our own personal formative experiences, you can't seriously argue that the "popular music evolved further in the 80s than it did in the 60s and 70s."

It's probably impossible to quantify "evolution" in the creative, artistic sense anyway, but (for example) rap exists because of the R&B, soul, disco, funk, and rock music that converged in the 60s. Hell, rap itself originated in the 70s (originators like Sugarhill Gang, MC Melle Mel and the Furious Five, Kurtis Blow, DJ Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash were all active then). It just went mainstream in the 80s. :cool:

What passes for "modern" punk/alternative is hopelessly word-that-does-not-exist-but-will-one-day-replace-gay-because-I'm-trying-not-to-use-it-in-the=perjorative-sense-anymore. It sounds like if every theater major formed a band. YECH. Too precious and self-aware.

But, that's me. :)

ymmv

Shane! There's so much* I have to show you!

*yes, thats keith morris in a modern band that doesnt come across as a cash grab or forced nostalgia

Top Bottom