[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

who can we throw money at to make an Alpha Centauri II? With the same leaders but fresh graphics and refined gameplay? *fantasizing*

Just make a remake with modern graphics.

Although I have to say I was not entirely disappointed with Beyond Earth. It wasn't perfect, but it had nice ideas.

Just make a remake with modern graphics.

Although I have to say I was not entirely disappointed with Beyond Earth. It wasn't perfect, but it had nice ideas.
I enjoyed it too. I finally got Rising Tide on a deep sale and keep meaning to fire it back up. It looks like there are a couple popular mods in the Workshop too!

It had ideas? :eek: Beyond Earth wasn't a bad game--it was fun enough and certainly pleasant on both the eyes and ears--but the lack of lore made it difficult to feel invested in. I prefer Endless Space and its sequel for my sci-fi 4X fix, personally...

It had ideas? :eek: Beyond Earth wasn't a bad game--it was fun enough and certainly pleasant on both the eyes and ears--but the lack of lore made it difficult to feel invested in. I prefer Endless Space and its sequel for my sci-fi 4X fix, personally...

The major problem was the bland factions, which were all overly idealistic do gooders. Since civ 3/master of orion/master of magic, the 4x genre does at least partially also contain RPGish elements, and if every faction is the same nice guys, then you don't really feel invested in one or the other side.

Last edited:
I definitely feel like much of VI's variations from V (not all, including districts as a significant variation), were initially tested and adapted from what seemed to be working well versus what wasn't in Beyond Earth.

I think the entire game should just be blank tiles with x's and o's on it. No more graphics than that. After all, it's all about the gameplay amiright? :)

I noticed that you can't build a railroad on Golden Gate Bridge. I'm assuming the real one doesn't have a railroad, I've never been to it (though I was in San Fransisco for 1 day).

You can't put a railroad on a suspension bridge: the vibrations set up by the train crossing will shake the bridge to pieces. Even a large body of troops marching in step across a suspension bridge can start it swaying.

My random post-patch observation:

Patch successfully installed and downloaded, fired up a game as Gandhi. Saw that Amenity buff for Dharma, decided to give it a shot.

Unit upgrade policy cards got split - ok, nothing strange here.

Then I pillaged a mine and a Theatre Square. Got science and culture out of them. Wait, what?...

My random post-patch observation:

Patch successfully installed and downloaded, fired up a game as Gandhi. Saw that Amenity buff for Dharma, decided to give it a shot.

Unit upgrade policy cards got split - ok, nothing strange here.

Then I pillaged a mine and a Theatre Square. Got science and culture out of them. Wait, what?...

Districts still give the associated yield as plunder, but mines should be giving gold unless you are Norway.

2kqa_b was updated earlier today. It's either a hotfix or the beginning of the next patch being tested.

It was kind of peculiar in that they removed the expansions and the .exe manifests but updated the vanilla content manifest.

You can't put a railroad on a suspension bridge
Of course you are right in our world ... but reading your post I saw suddenly a miraculous huge poster of Railroad Tycoon and in front of it Lo and behold! the legendary developer saying "I always used to love to try and challenge the players' imagination. You have to kind of suspend your disbelief and be willing to step into that world." (aka suspension of disbelief bridge)

Nevermind, I have been so wrong with Railroads in civ6, too:
I think it works like this:
Whow! What a brilliant photo - quite convincing! Just one question: for this "Orbital Insertion" thingy - do you need a civic like 'advanced wizardry' or something from the tech tree to activate that gate to the nano wormhole??

With respect to the traveling distances, I think, there will be limitations, perhaps even to the effect, that entry & exit have to be adjacent (and built from different sides). Finally a mountain range isn't a sack in which you cut 2 holes for entry & exit as you see fit.
Again, I was so wrong: A mountain range is a sack in which you cut 2 holes for entry & exit as you see fit! On a bit modified Earth Map, from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego in one giant leap: straight through the massifs is the way to go!

Of course you are right in our world ... but reading your post I saw suddenly a miraculous huge poster of Railroad Tycoon and in front of it Lo and behold! the legendary developer saying "I always used to love to try and challenge the players' imagination. You have to kind of suspend your disbelief and be willing to step into that world." (aka suspension of disbelief bridge)

Of course, you are absolutely right: you can put a railroad on a suspension bridge.
You just can't move a locomotive and train across it . . .

"Can't" is a little too absolute. E.g. the Niagara Falls suspension bridge way back in 1855 up to China's new suspension bridge which will carry a high speed rail line. Yes, highly unusual due to the concentrated loading that trains typically impose, but not completely unknown.

I just noticed this tonight, but as of Gathering Storm, Holy Site Prayers now also offer 100% religious pressure once you've recruited a Great Prophet. I don't think that's all that great, but it's something. A city with your majority religion and a holy site will put 2 religious pressure per turn to any city in 10 tiles in normal cases, but if you run Prayers, that is 4. Your Holy City normally does 4, but this would do 8. Throw in either Scripture or Itinerant Preachers as your beliefs to make it go further. Move Moksha around and becomes suzerain of Jerusalem for even more. I don't know if it's possible to win a Religious Victory through passive spread alone, but this should at least save some faith and spread a little religion in your cities that don't have much to do.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who finds Mansa Musa's grunting to feel just a tad sexually threatening? I love him to pieces, but when I'm only half paying attention and he keeps making that noise at me ...

You can't put a railroad on a suspension bridge: the vibrations set up by the train crossing will shake the bridge to pieces. Even a large body of troops marching in step across a suspension bridge can start it swaying.
Not so. The Manhattan Bridge over the east river carries four tracks. Granted they carry subway trains, and the bridge is showing signs of strain.

I love him to pieces, but when I'm only half paying attention and he keeps making that noise at me

I just wish his laugh wasn't so loud. I kind of dread having to renew alliances with him. I almost have to turn down the game volume his laugh is so loud. Still not nearly as bad as Harald's screaming when he declares war on you. I hate that guy.

Not so. The Manhattan Bridge over the east river carries four tracks. Granted they carry subway trains, and the bridge is showing signs of strain.

Manhattan Bridge also includes a Warren Truss structure supporting the bridge deck and the Melan system of stabilization, so it is not a pure suspension bridge.

On the other hand, did a little more research, and in fact modern suspension bridges using stabilization techniques can be used for electric (including subway) and diesel-powered trains. What still cannot be done safely is put a steam-powered locomotive using a piston system and drive wheels: the conversion of the back-and-forth piston movement into rotary movement sets up a vibratory pounding of the bridge structure that starts it swaying dangerously.

In game terms, that means you can put a railroad across a suspension bridge (well, The suspension bridge, since so far there's only one in the game!) but not until well into the Atomic Era.

My apologies to all for invoking Industrial Era technology in regards to modern suspension bridges. In my defense, when I was model railroading years ago, I had no interest at all in diesel locomotives or anything after what I consider the real "Golden Age" of American railroads: about 1912, and well before diesel engines . . .

Top Bottom