1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

guerillas, missunderestimated?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by apparition, Jan 12, 2004.

?

Do you use guerillas?

1. Always have

28 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. Not till I tried them

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. No I wait for rubber

27 vote(s)
    31.0%
  4. I may do if I can be bother to

25 vote(s)
    28.7%
  1. AdHHH

AdHHH Chief Of The Infidels

phantom: yes that was a 'proxy war' as the US funded/supplied the Mujahadeen (sp?), this can be successfully simulated in Civ if you offer a weak civ a generous deal, or if u simply offer it resources, gpt or whatever. Like i said, the most that needs to be added is road movement.

2. a4phantom

a4phantom Perma-newbie

And the Contra war, where the US funded and supported terrorist rebels who pillaged the countryside? And your example doesn't work either, because by Civ3 rules the Afghan civilization would have ceased to exist when the Russians captured the last city.

3. AdHHH

Well it is a game, and obviously cannot perfectly reflect the complexities of real world war/politics... but I suppose you could say 'AI respawn' is on... or the Afghan cities fell into disorder, threw the Soviets out and established their own nation (can that still happen in Civ?). Anywho, road movement for guerilla, good idea...

4. a4phantom

a4phantom Perma-newbie

If they're just flagged (nationality revealed) units with the ability to use all terrain as roads, they're commandos not guerillas. That might be what you're after, but I want a unit for fighting low-key wars and harassing and weakening the enemy without a fullscale "clash of civilizations". This is what the privateer unit is for, and I think adding a similar land unit would be cool.

5. AdHHH

a 6/6/1 unit is nowhere near powerful enough to be called a Commando; that word comes closer to describing the Marine. I just fear that an unflagged land unit would be too powerful and would require each player to man all borders, whether in peacetime or not, thus aggravating AI and human players alike.

6. a4phantom

a4phantom Perma-newbie

"a 6/6/1 unit is nowhere near powerful enough to be called a Commando; that word comes closer to describing the Marine. I just fear that an unflagged land unit would be too powerful and would require each player to man all borders, whether in peacetime or not, thus aggravating AI and human players alike."

Commandos are not powerful masses of troops for conventional warfare, they're special operations folks for doing dirty work behind the lines.

Obviously on this unit you'll go your way and I'll go mine.

7. AdHHH

Agreed :) but as they are Spec Ops they would have a high attack attribute, and a low defence (as Commandos are rarely more than small groups, as you pointed out)

8. a4phantom

a4phantom Perma-newbie

I don't know if a special ops unit would have a high attack rating, simply mobility, concealment and special abilities. Infantry and tanks are for smashing the enemy, special ops are for cutting off their communications and supply lines.

Happy holidays folks.

I just played the Sengoku scenario, and the ronin unit is more or less what I meant by guerilla.