Guides?

Flat land is a pain and I recommend as you are spending a few hours on a game restart. Howeve if you refuse, treat the flat like a big breeding ground for a city... If you cannot get any production you really should move and find some.
In this game production is king. Starting on flat ground is quite soul destroying

Maybe it's just my current play-style. I'm still relatively raw at Civ (210 hrs) and out-teching the opposition makes me feel more secure. Perhaps when I'm more efficient at early game neighbourly clear out I might stop making a Campus a priority.

Every other Civ game prioritizes tech. In Civ 6, production is king. If your tech rate significantly exceeds your production, it can take ages to build units, districts and newer buildings. As long as you don't fall >=2 eras behind the AI, I wouldn't get too worried.

Strange as it sounds, sometimes advancing through the civic tree too fast can cause problems. E.g. popping "Feudalism" whilst trying to build a Classical era military army.

If your tech rate significantly exceeds your production, it can take ages to build units, districts and newer buildings.
Can you give a bit more detail on this? Not clear why more beakers would increase the turn cost for building something.

If you look at the formula thread pinned at the top of the tips and tricks forum you will find the price of many things is tied to your tech and/or civc level. Not a mechanism many appreciate, I guess the reasoning would be it limits snowballing a bit

I personally spent about two weeks studying the game before actually playing, which was rather annoying.

I think the game is still too new to have a comprehensive guide. If you have a few dozen hours to spend before actually playing, you could read through all the "quick questions and answers" thread. Otherwise, I'd just watch through 2 or 3 Let's Plays on Youtube, preferably by different players.

As another CIv5 deity pro just starting out in this game, my quick tips are:

1.) CIv5 was about tall, narrow empires. This game is about wide, short empires.
2.) It may be a hard pill to swallow, but we were pros at civ5 but new to this game. Even though we always won at deity for every civ game we've played in the past 5 years, we need to move down to king or emperor for a game or two to learn the basics.
3.) In Civ5, science (derived from population derived from FOOD) was the ultimate resource. In CIv6, it's the hammer.
Which youtube creators?
FilthyGod?

Top Bottom