Guilds [Modular] 2.7

I'm thinking about making a civic after slavery called Guilds, as the medieval guilds (at least in europe) was a complete financial system going from the top (monarchs) to the smallest craftsmen. Or maybe move mercantile to guilds. It seems to fit the description.

Uploaded BETA 6

Made 15 Master <guilders> so the AI can spread the right guilds.
Optimized, optimized and optimized, so it is now almost half the size.
Made a couple of new buttons for <guild> Master Guild (building) and Master <guilder> (Unit)
Fixed a BUG with Masons guild (because stone was requirement AND bonus it would repeat itself giving 28 stones and a HUGE production bonus)
Uploaded the new Master graphics (units)
Made the <guild> Master Guild (World Wonder) buildable with building requirements (like temples/cathedrals) It has 2 building required on a normal size map (4 on huge).
Plus a lot of small changes....

BTW : Thanks to all of the "BETA testers". I think BETA6 will be the last before a release version as it is practically done. Just needs some balancing.

If I wanted to make a <guild> Master Guild (World Wonder) to get some income as described in the first post what do I need to do:

1) What are the building requirements that are talked about in the first post
2) Does the world wonder give you income for all cities with the guilds like corp HQ or just the ones present in your cities.
It is possible to found (with a Great Person) or to build (with enough building requirements) a <guild> Master Guild (World Wonder) to get some income, but it can only be founded in a city that has the <category> Master Guild, thereby making it possible to found only 3 guilds/civ in total.
3) Using the logic that you can found 1 guild per category (3 total) you can only build 3/15 <guild> Master Guild (World Wonder). I am assuming in this question there is one world wonder per guild (15 total) to generate income from taht specific Guild. Not sure if that is right.

I obviously need to just DL this and play but i have been busy w/ family matters so I apologize for that because I have not had time to download ROM 2.7.1 and try this.

I'm thinking about making a civic after slavery called Guilds, as the medieval guilds (at least in europe) was a complete financial system going from the top (monarchs) to the smallest craftsmen. Or maybe move mercantile to guilds. It seems to fit the description.

I like this idea since one of the few things about RoM I don't like is there is slavery...and then suddenly we jump to the 1700's and mercantilism! I know that economics is a recent thing and that inflation was poorly understood (play Europa Universalis a lot and you learn this the hard way) but I can't think that the Chinese, Greeks, Romans and later Renaissance countries didn't have something above a slave economy.

If anything, I remember after the Black Plagues, the value of the common worker got better and thus caused a lot of economic reform.

Plus, I would think that either there needs to be a very early form of Free Market capitalism to show the whole Robber Baron age. One could argue that this is Corporationalist, but to me looking that civic, it is a more modern one as is the Regulated economy.

I don't know. Perhaps there could be a tech that changes these civics so that the first Free Market is fraught we problems of boom to bust cycles and a later tech would cause a change in this. The original Corporationlist would give a lot of gold and hammers but at a great cost in health and unrest. This would be lessened by a later tech. Plus I think Regulated Economy is at bit later. If it were me, I'd move it down a tier.

...and perhaps I need to stomp rambling. :crazyeye:

If I wanted to make a <guild> Master Guild (World Wonder) to get some income as described in the first post what do I need to do:

1) What are the building requirements that are talked about in the first post
2) Does the world wonder give you income for all cities with the guilds like corp HQ or just the ones present in your cities.

3) Using the logic that you can found 1 guild per category (3 total) you can only build 3/15 <guild> Master Guild (World Wonder). I am assuming in this question there is one world wonder per guild (15 total) to generate income from taht specific Guild. Not sure if that is right.

I obviously need to just DL this and play but i have been busy w/ family matters so I apologize for that because I have not had time to download ROM 2.7.1 and try this.

Hehe, I admit my first post text is a mess. I wrote it as I made the guilds, piece by piece.

1) the requirements (Tech/Great Person) (Building Requirements) for the <Guild> Master Guild (World Wonder) is listed in the guilds descriptions in the first post (But also ingame):
Fishmongers Guild (Food: Fish/Shrimp/Crap/Clam/Whale)
(Guilds/Merchant) (B req : Fishing Hut)

I made these <guild> Master Guild building requirements because otherwise you could found f.ex. a Fishmongers Master Guild without ever having seen the ocean plus a guild is a gathering of Masters in their field, so how can you make a Blacksmith Master Guild if there is no Forges etc. There is exceptions though. Like the Glassblowers and Equestrians Guild. (I might change them, as you would still be able to spread the guild, but not found it)

2) Yes, it works more or less the same way as the corporations income, so if you spread a Goldsmiths Guild in one of your cities and another civ had built the Master Guild, he would recieve a small "royalty" bonus. (Same as religions too)

3) Yes, there is 15 <guild> Master Guilds (World Wonders) (no movies though ;)) and each civ can only build 3 <guild> Master Guilds (World Wonders) because they require A the <category> Guild Charter and B the <category> Master Guild.

Uploaded BETA 7

I went a little off track and made a "wonder movie" for each Guild, based on the Coat of Arms of the Wonderful Companies of London (Livery Companies) of which I based most of this mod. It is not a movie but a simple picture displayed whenever the civ in control founds/builds a <guild> Master Guild. The example below is from the Equestrians Guild. I have changed the Coat of Arms to an almost simular guild in two places : Glassblowers Guild to Spectacles Guild, and Carpentrys Guild to Engineers Guild, simply because the original logos where not "in style". I also modified some of the guilds and finetuned/balanced them, but might do even more fiddeling ;)

I also changed the expire date on the Guild Charters and Guild Master so its no longer possible to spread guilds after Machine Tools and no longer possible to build Guild Masters after Motorised Transportation.

I made the pictures low resolution so they wouldnt take up too much space. The mod incl. the "Wonder Movies" is about 360 KB zipped, and each picture is about 33 KB unzipped, so it shouldnt be a speed killer ;). The main reason for the "Wonder Movies" was to give the Guilds a bit of atmosphere.

The only downside with using World Wonders is that there is a hard limit on the number of Wonders per city in ROM. This won't bother me as it's one of the few things I immediately change as soon as I download a new version (along with STONE chance). It may well make people think very carefully about which cities to drop your guilds into -especially on smaller maps.

National wonders have just as many issues. Only thing I can think of would be to limit by quantity - eg 3 glass blower's guilds required to build master glass blower... but that has it's own set of complications.

I'll leave it to you :)

btw - Equestrian master's guild surely requires both Horse and Stable? If so, be careful of the building upgrade chain of Stable.

The "problem" about the limited World/National wonders is a strategic one I rather like. It forces you to think twice where to build them, instead of just loading every wonder in the same city. This applies to the Guilds as well. If you choose to put all possible Guild wonders in one city it will fill the slots of 3 WW and 3 NW, so it is not going to tilt the game. When that said, I dont think RoM in itself (without any modmods) is very suitable for small map sizes ;).
About the Equestrians Guild. I'm standing with a foot in each camp. If I give horse/stable requirements, then there wouldnt be any reason for building it as it provides horses. (The reason why I made the E.G. was that I almost never get the horse resource, and looking on especially Europe that looked odd as almost every country had horses. Regarding the # of guilds before being able to found a master guild : It is impossible (with my modding skills) as the AI wont spread any guilds that it is not master of and I dont see any counter for the guilds spreaded. All the work I have done is made purely in XML, but maybe a SDK or Python modder could enhance it later on.

Oh.

It *gives horses*.

That's an excellent idea. I always thought the technology "Horse Breeding" should have allowed you to build a building that gave you horses, but a horsey guild is even better.

May I suggest an alternative icon for it?

I always thought the technology "Horse Breeding" should have allowed you to build a building that gave you horses, but a horsey guild is even better.

lol. What was I thinking... Using Medieval Coat of Arms when I could use that cute little pony.... I have to redo it all. Thinking Bananas in Pyjamas as Grocers Guild and some Muppets for the Butchers Guild. Maybe for the more mature audience use Ironman for Blacksmiths Guild :lol:

I also thought about some building that would allow horsebreeding. In danish its called a Stutteri (which onlinetranslates into Stud). If Zappara chooses to make one, I'll make a quick shift to require Horses/Knights Stables.

Sarkyn what do you edit to remove the wonder limit?

Step 1 - Open the file:

/(game directory)/Mods/Rise of Mankind/Assets/Xml/GlobalDefines.xml

Step 2 - Find the tags:

MAX_WORLD_WONDERS_PER_CITY
MAX_TEAM_WONDERS_PER_CITY
MAX_NATIONAL_WONDERS_PER_CITY

Step 3 - Change the values:

Change the defined value underneath them to whatever it is suits you and your map. To remove the limit entirely change the number to -1

Hope that helps :)

Or if you like you can have your own modular one so that when a newer version of RoM comes out you don't have to edit again :).

1st version of the finished Guilds is uploaded.

Added a lot of small changes/graphics/balancing
Moved <catagory> Guild Masters to later coz if they spread the guild before master guild was founded, the master guild couldnt be founded/build.
Added Annual Fair to Artist Guild
Added Civopedia graphics for new resources.
Changed guild icons to the coat of arms.

I whanted to build the Fishmongers Master Guild in the City I build the Vistualler Master Guild but its wont let me :(.
I checked that I have the Victuallers Guild Charter and also all Seefood resources (except Whale) in the City. I still can Build other World Wonders in this City so this is not a problem (have a mod the removes the limit).

Do I miss some Techs because I rushed to the Guilds and Agricultural Tools Techs or is it some Kind of Messup with other Mods?

Btw. I use vincentz mods 1.3 (beside some other mods ;) )

Top Bottom