Habits that make your game(s) non-optimum

Building Sydney Opera House, CN Tower, Pentagon and Great Firewall in almost every game on Immortal...

Came close in my first Deity win recently too

1) Accepting DoF with the Mongols
2) Settling a new city before I finished a national wonder
3) Only taking secularism in rationalism
4) Completely ignoring faith if I don't get a religion
5) Poor timing on getting into the new era before unlocking a new social policy
6) Bad unit movement forcing me to declare war or lie to the AI I'm about to attack.
7) Bribing a city-state a couple turns before getting philanthropy
8) Not building enough defenses and getting wrecked by the carpet of doom on deity

8) Not building enough defenses and getting wrecked by the carpet of doom on deity

Ha, this is a classic for mediocre Deity players like myself. I had to switch down to Epic Speed to become better on Diety and more efficient about my game. Army, especially

Flipping the coin wrong when an AI says "I've just trolled a city-state, either let me off or pee me off, NO CHECKING if it's an important faith/happiness/UU generator for your empire or some trash you've been stealing Workers off of since the bronze age"

I think this thread is a script for my playstyle. I probably do ALL of these things. :lol:

Beyond the common things like building everything and too much wonder spamming, I irrationally like opening honor regardless of my gameplan. I always play with raging barbs and I just like watching the +culture icon float up in the air. It's so wrong, I know. But it feels so right. To the same end, Aztecs are one of my favorite civs.

Deity

Be Babylon.
Bad start becuse I teched for Hanging Gardens and didn't get the wonder.
Neck-and-Neck race with Korea for Science victory.
Oh damn they're 1 or 2 parts off of victory.
I have 9k gold.
Genius mode activated.
Rush buy 4 Nuclear Missiles, load them on 2 nuclear subs, swim across to the other side of the world, reduce Korea to a wasteland.
They win 5 turns later anyway.
Stop. Evaluate. Remember that I am following Freedom and that rush buying parts instead of nukes would have given me the launch. Sigh. Reload time.

I get way too "into it" and end up getting personally offended by other Civs, which results in me mercilessly razing and pillaging those who steal tech, denounce me, stab me in the back, bully a CS I'm particularly fond of, etc etc

I don't get many non-dom victories

1) Focusing on Production instead of Food (them Plain Tiles though!)

2) Settling my cities 3 tiles apart from one another (obsession with mimicking AI tbh)

3) Forgetting to build defense units unless I plan on attacking (except Archer units that are planted in my cities)

4) Only trading 1 vs 1 luxuries instead of actually selling them for cash.

I had to revisit this Thread.

For the first time I TRULY invested in working on a cultural victory with Hawaii. I started on a continent with Korea, China, and Iroquois. On the other land mass was Rome, Byzantium, Celts, and Portugal.

There was peace and tranquility on my continent and I became the dominant civ up until the Industrial era. I was ahead in culture, tourism, science, and had the largest military that I never had to use.

On the other side Rome and Celts took turns knocking off Byzantium until they ceased to exist. Rome boxed in Portugal's growth and proceeded to conduct a war for the continent against the Celts.

I sat idly by and let this happen because I was getting along with everybody who loved me for my resources and trade routes.

But now I'm in the modern era and I'm one of only 2 freedom civs, the others are order civs and Korea and Rome are about 5 techs ahead of me. Korea is ahead because he never had to deal with a war and Rome is ahead because he has Boudicca's head on a pike next to Theadora. So now Rome is a runaway and Korea is headed to a science victory.

And NO ONE is allowing open borders with me. All but the Iroquois are guarded against me. I'm in the year 1960.

Should I have interceded in the other continental wars between Rome, Byzantium and the Celts? Ju still to slow Rome down? Should I have gone to war with Korea to slow him down?

Now Korea is on the verge of being to far in science and Rome is on the verge of getting too big. Should I, still having the biggest military, still declare war to knock them down a peg or is the game already lost?

I guess the optimal play would have been to bribe China and Korea into fighting so they wouldn't pick the same ideology and gang up on me. I also should have helped Boudicca beat back Rome.

I see why the US is SO involved in evwry countries affairs it's like you have to keep the world off balanced just to stay on top.

settling three tiles away from a natural wonder instead of right next to it so that some day the city will be able to work an extra cattle tile.

1) Letting a particular civ wind me up with its stupid diplomatic shenanigans so I end up focusing on exterminating them and forgetting about everything else.
2) Spending so much time building military units I forget to build National College.
3) Forgetting to spend faith points.

I'd say my biggest failing is inability to say "No", at least to repeat requests.

If some blatant warmonger attacks me and starts to regret it, i find it hard to keep going after the first or second time he pops up grovelling. Usually take the deal and then pay his neighbours to finish him off. This doesn't hurt my play so much as my other habit, which is accepting Open Border requests from everyone. The trouble is, if you say "No", they'll just be back again the next turn, so i end up with perma open borders since Mediaeval era, then getting major ideology pressure (i actually plan switching ideologies into my strategy now...)

Endlessly telling myself in roughly this order:

"Okay, I'll stick to these four cities and try to win a peaceful culture victory."

"Well, my neighbor was settling too close to me and was a jerk anyways. Attila there doesn't look too happy now, though..."

"So I have a small empire. I won't expand any further than this quarter of the continent."

"Any further than this half of the continent."

"I don't like Attila anyways."

"I promise I will not destroy everything you care about, other nations on the other continent, if you accept a couple friendship deals."

"WHY WON'T YOU LOOOOVE ME?!"

"Yay, victory!"

Not exploiting the AI enough I really really need to get into the habit of just trying to break the game in order to get super fast win times

1) Forgetting to check on certain things for extended periods of time (Individual city output, diplomacy, trade networks, etc).
2) Founding a religion and repeatedly forgetting to try and spread it around.
3) Compulsively building everything in every city, though I've been trying to ween myself off of doing that.
4) Neglecting my military until fighting breaks out (IE my defenses suck).
5) Ignoring City States until the World Congress is established.
6) Being too quick to accept Open Borders most of the time. I think I've said no once so far.
7) With barbarians enabled, either focusing too little or too much on stopping them and hurting my early production and expansion (I mostly play with them off these days; I like both me and the AI being able to just expand/improve much more easily in the early eras).
8) As I accumulate wealth, forgetting I can buy units and buildings to speed up new cities and such.
9) Researching techs impulsively. I never go in with a plan for the tree, I just grab what I need and go for the stuff with the wonders/bonuses that benefit my chosen victory. I suppose this isn't a particularly bad habit, but I doubt I could play Immortal or Deity this way.

Top Bottom