1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hall of Fame Rules/FAQ

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by superslug, Jan 23, 2005.

1. CKS

CKS Chieftain

I'm not the boss, but both of these things seem very much like things that are specifically allowed, and neither of them give shields or gold for nothing, which is what the forbidden exploits do. I think they are fine.

Spoonwood likes this.
  2. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Any other active players have thoughts on the matter before I officially yay or nay?

3. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

This is not a new thing, or I am totally misinterpreting what the request is about. I think it was very openly discussed by several Top-Players, and in most detail maybe by Spoonwood, if I recall correctly.

We are not talking about "gold out of nothing"-deals here, as they are disallowed. Like double-negative gpt-deals, following the same pattern however.

We are talking about "something for, in the end, nothing"-deals. You can gain WH, techs, gold... for nothing in return. No nice concept, and I really dislike it, but to the best of my memory it was heavily discussed and officially checked - and allowed.

t_x

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Spoonwood likes this.
  4. Kuningas

Kuningas Chieftain

Now I thought it more.. It should be allowed.

5. superslug

Yeah, I was thinking this wasn't really anything fresh, so yes, it does fit as allowed under current rules.

Spoonwood likes this.
  6. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

I believe that's legal under the rule that you cited. Come to think of it, I'm sure it is. I think I've used that almost every single time I've started a war on Sid level. I made a note to Stoertebeker back in 2011:

"2. I think I've used the disconnecting thing to start every war in this game."

Yeah, I've done that several times also. Theoretically, it would come as possible to capture all of the cities without suffering any sort of movement penalty, but I've never done that as it seemed to require too many risks. But, I do recall several times walking onto the AIs territory via the RoP and them having them declare on me. No loss to reputation, since the AIs declare on the human player.

7. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

The save below has evidence of me actually doing what Kuningas suggests. In that save you can observe that I have units in Russian territory. I also have an RoP signed with them. They declare on me the next turn via some trade route disconnect, my RoP reputation stayed in tact, and the war began. I guess I could show another save with their cities getting captured in 400 AD or 410 AD (maybe I waited a turn for some reason... that sounds doubtful, but it's not impossible), but that can also get checked via the 2050 save using CrPViewer if anyone actually cares to do so.

I would believe that Drazek has used the same tactic also.

At the very least, both of my 80+ HoF games use that tactic, so there already exist games in the HoF using such.

Attached Files:

8. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow?

I've thought more about what our "Supreme Leader" superslug stated there, back in Post #810, and, I agree it makes sense to have The Rules Frozen For Eternity. For one reason, if you change The Rules now, how many Games that have been accepted into the HOF would then become ineligible?.......And, who would even know they had commited a "Rule Breach" or 'fess up if they did know!? :)

Spoonwood likes this.
  9. superslug

Yeah, I'm just pretty much here to keep the lights on at this point...

10. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

couldnĀ“t resist... ;)
    t_x

11. Speedbird 95

Speedbird 95 Chieftain

I couldn't find a link to the actual hall of fame, and also had a hard time finding it on google. I eventually found it by guessing the URL.

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ3

[2nd EDIT] fixed link

Now I have it bookmarked, but a link would be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  12. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow?

13. jarred!

jarred! Chieftain

Looks like the link text and the link itself are different. The text says .net/civ3 while the link is for .net.civ3

14. superslug

I'm not aware of any server errors....