Handy 22 Always War C4 Noble

OK, another good lesson. We should compile a list of lessons learned the hard way for those of us scholars from the School of Hard Knocks.

Today we’ll go with some Velvet Underground.

IBT – Satellites=>Composites There is a Circassian city in a non settled area.
1969 – See Bede at the first Grateful Dead concert and at Woodstock. Capture Edo.
Here is the Japanese front:

Set up to capture Texcoco next turn. Bump up science.

1970 – Start attacking Kyoto. Reduce Texcoco down to one defender. Monty threw three new guys in there IBT. Also start moving along the Japanese East Coast. Kill a defender in the Circassian city.

IBT – It appears a major bttle was fought at the gates of Texcoco. We lost an infantry and a tank. The Aztecs lost three units. We reach 50 Million souls in population. I don’t know if that is significant.

1971 – Attack Kyoto. Get rid of that &*^%$# SAM Infantry.

We’re now up to 54% of land area and we have plenty of population.

1972 – Bomb then attack Satsuma and capture the city.

Here is southern Japan:

Note the Aztec cities. Could they be at war? At least they have been at war.

1973 – Pick off a few stray Japanese units including a SAM Inf. Those guys are a pain. Set up for an assault on Tokyo next turn. Start marching on Texcoco again with a new SOD. Starting to gather an American SOD in the east.

To be continued...

Today’s inspiration comes from “Boy,” “August and Everything After,” and Marshall Crenshaw’s debut.

IBT – Lose a tank to a Japanese Infantry

1974 – Bomb Tokyo as much as possible then kill all defenders. Kill the last one with a gunship and sure enough, it cannot capture the city. Use a redlined tank to take it.

Since the Aztecs have recaptured Tlaxcala (one resister in there!) it has created a nice corridor to run our tanks down. Use bombers out of Kyoto to reduce the weak defenders down to nothing then…

1975 – We only get the defenses of Tlacopan down to +23%. Our tanks take the city without loss.

I used the tanks that had the city raider +20% bonus.

At Texcoco, we use the bomb first routine and kill the six defenders.

It is nice to see the cultural boarders roll back for once. That exposes several Aztecs near Libyan. We kill four and lose a gunship in that area. There are still two left.

Start moving towards New York. With pretty decent stack. I have been bombarding New York from the sea.

After Action: - We are set up to take out the Japanese next turn. Plus we’ll be able to move on the Aztecs. 6 turns left. We are at 57.78% of land area. I think by taking out the Aztecs and Japanese we can get 64% land. Composites and Modern Armor is also due next turn. If we want I think we can win by conquest in 65 turns. Up to you guys.

Save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/handy22_AD-1975.Civ4SavedGame

Merry Christmas to all

I don't know, i can try it out today evening and maybe it'll work. But i suggest that you guys keep playing without me since i was a lurker for most of the time in this game and it is somewhat difficult for me to jump into the game now.

great progress, Bugs!

Now , maybe we want conquest, but from my own experience it can be extremely difficult in Civ4 to crack that nut of a holed in AI. Defense is king in Civ4.

Obormot said:
I don't know, i can try it out today evening and maybe it'll work. But i suggest that you guys keep playing without me since i was a lurker for most of the time in this game and it is somewhat difficult for me to jump into the game now.

Ok. I guess the game is pretty much over - hopefully you can join the next game. BTW, I have heard that one problem ppl may be having with Civ4 is they are choosing "no" when it asks about directX install even though you need it. The way directX is these days you should choose yes for all games. They are making changes but not updating the version. :rolleyes:

I got it.

vmxa said:
They can use DXDIAG in RUN to see if they have 9.0c.
All the versions of dx9 that has come out in 2005 i believe has all been 9.0c .. however there has been made changes almost every month anyway.. they just havent updated the c to d,e,f and so on but kept the c.. Worse microsoft didnt even release the newer versions in the stardard download even if games made with later versions would not run with earlier versions (like civ4).

I think Microsoft updated the 9.0c download in december thou, but it is still called 9.0c

It gives the version number along with it, so you can see if it is the most current. Not sure if anything special after the one that comes with CivIV.

Say it was showing 4.09.0000.0904 for 9.0c.

IBT: Some Aztec units advance into our territory.

1976: I bomb and capture Nara. Here is a picture of the situation and the remaining cities. The Red Arrows show aproximately my plan of attack for the rest of Aztec and Japanese cities. Note that the last Japanese city wasn't visible so I used recon to find it.

Modern Armor needs Computers as well as Composites I put science up to 100% for a short while so we can get computers in 2 turns.

We also have an attack on the Americans, I am unsure it is strong enough to work yet, but it will start to wear them down.

IBT: Lose a Marine and Infantry to Aztec Attacks.

1977 AD: Capture Asaka. Japan is Destroyed. Xochicalco is also Captured.
Turn down science to still get computers in 1 turn. A first for me in Civ4. I am sure you can figure out why if you think about it.

1978 AD: Capture Tlatelolco. We also capture New York. America is definitely weaker than they were before. All new units are heading to the American front. Aztecs are close to dead. I think they have one Gunpowder unit left.

Science to 0 (optics in 49) Start upgrading our Tanks to Modern Armor.

IBT: We win a Domination Victory. Unfortunately, it caught me off-guard (we got several border expansions, so I didn't save last turn (we were still several percent away).
Our score is 13K or so. Not very high for a score.

I am curious about how much longer a conquest victory would take so I chose "play one more turn".
This is when other cities were captured:
1979 AD:Teotihuacan
1980 AD: Aztecs Destroyed.
1982 AD: Philadelphia Captured
1983 AD: Chicago and Seattle Captured.
1984 AD: Washington Captured.
1985 AD: Boston Captured.
1986 AD: Atlanta and San Fran Captured.
1987 AD: Capture LA. This would have been the conquest date.

:goodjob: and merry :xmas: to the Grumpy Old AW Men

Now, after you have all celebrated enough, we ought to seek new challenges here. As handy has played numerous AW games, he should be able to adivse. I have to admit even prince level can be a big challenge on AW. A early UU is needed I think.

So, what are the Grumpies up to for the next game?

My proposal is to play Noble again but on a Pangea. In thiis game we wiped out the only opponent early on. We don't know how Civ4 works with multiple early foes. (at least not from playing SG's - I am sure some of us have tried it).

I think we should also try playing epic. I would also like to play with the 1.52 patch.

lurker's comment: I 100% agree that AW must be played on EPIC.
Even with the better AI landings, I also feel Pangaea is needed for the real AW fun.

LKendter said:
lurker's comment: I 100% agree that AW must be played on EPIC.
Even with the better AI landings, I also feel Pangaea is needed for the real AW fun.

You mentioned earlier in the thread that you would like to join us in the next game. Still game?

The Greebley Oppression Strategy ("GOS") has worked extremely well on AWP with Persian Immortals playing epic speed. Pillage then park one immortal on a hill or in forest near an AI city and their workers are afraid the venture out. The AI stagnates while you chop settlers and immortals and roll the nearby neighbors. A bit of a gambit since you won’t have any forest for health if the game goes too long, but this has yet to be an issue on smaller maps. Immortals are way overpowered on epic speed.

GOS Persia works so well we could give AWP as Persia a go for experience if you guys are game as we try and climb the ladder up to AWE.

Patch is fine, I did not realize a new one was out.

EDIT AWM GOS Persia on a small Pangaea is a blowout. :thumbsup: Caveat: I have yet to play Persia and need to fight for Horses. Sans ponies it would be a struggle. If you are interested we could play AWP regular or AWM small for practice with a goal of an AWE Persia. Pangaea is actually easier in C4 than continents. Epic also appears to be easier (at least with Persia). Not sure at what map size/difficulty level the Persian GOS will lose effectiveness. It is a killer combo do far. Here is a map of a game in progress if you care to see what I'm talking about.

Almost sounds a bit exploitive.

BTW - I will play in exactly one SG. Goz's two games are wrapping up. I'll stay grumpy.

I vote for AWP for a start, but we can go monarch as well. let's try Persia, but can we play epic speed so we have a chance to use our units.

Also, I have patched and it works far better, suggest we all do that before we start.

Great game, guys :goodjob:. I didn't play much, but i was following you all the time. I got a new job recently and i'll have to cut down the number of SG's i play, so i think i'll skip the next civ4 game :(.

Obormot said:
Great game, guys :goodjob:. I didn't play much, but i was following you all the time. I got a new job recently and i'll have to cut down the number of SG's i play, so i think i'll skip the next civ4 game :(.
Best of Luck Obormot. I hope you have time to keep kicking butt in the C3GOTM. :goodjob:

Almost sounds a bit exploitive.
Many would say you can leave out the "Almost" and "a bit" in your post, but it certainly would be allowed in GOTM. It's the closest thing I've found to an Army in C4 :) There may be other tactics, but the Imortals just totally shut the AI down. Once you pillage their improvements the AI spends the whole game with no roads and no workers. You basically turn the new C4 AI's inclination to stay in his city and avoid figting against him. Greebley used this in at least one Sumerian AW game where he would park a spear on a hill next to a city to induce the AI to whip their cities. It is very powerful tactic in C4 because of the AI's tendency to turtle.

Also, I have patched and it works far better, suggest we all do that before we start.
What is better. Game speed?

Some may find this tactic boring as hell, but at least you get to fight a little. The AI seems to attack when he has enough archers in a city (4 or 5) but only attacks with one or two units. If you hold a defensive position you eventually promote your way to combat level 3 with the medic badge. Occasionally you can trap a settler for a free worker as the AI tries to sneak them out with a 2-archer excort.

Attachments

• immortal.jpg
    immortal.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 125
as stated before, I vote for epic speed. I do now always play epic for warmonger games since it gives you time to actually use the units before they get obsolete.

so, are we going for Persia, epic, pangaea, small map?
handy, why don't you simply start a new game

LK hasn't confirmed his participation yet, I think we need a 5th player, isn't it?

Top Bottom