[BTS] Hannibal, does he ever capitualte

I've taken six of Hannibal's cites, about a third of them.
I'm pushing for his capitulation.
After I take another city I quickly check to see if he's ready to bend the knee.
It's becoming tiresome and I'm running out of troops.

Will he capitulate or do I need to snuff him out.
By the way, his capital city Carthage is still in his ownership, does that make a difference?

allways need the capital and a couple of core cities not the fringe cities. E.g. sack the capital if too busy and can live with it s wonders destroyed - dwarfed rest of game then

Last edited:
It's becoming tiresome and I'm running out of troops...
If you're losing many units, then the war success Hannibal gains by killing them may outweigh the war success you gain by taking cities. Ultimately, war success is the most important factor in his decision to eventually capitulate.

Hanny’s resist capitulation factor is rather low. Qactus is right about war success.

And, no, you don’t always need the capital. Heck, I’ve had cases of capping without even taking cities at all.

Global soldiers also matters (maybe more than war success).
If there are 1 or more weak AIs on the map, they drag down the average number of soldiers and Hannibal thinks he's still okay.
Losing your own troops also contributes to that.

If you're losing many units, then the war success Hannibal gains by killing them may outweigh the war success you gain by taking cities. Ultimately, war success is the most important factor in his decision to eventually capitulate.
Is the war success displayed somewhere in the game?

You can find great info here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/capitulation-rules.500886/#post-12720814

War success is the most unlikely reason behind Hanni refusing to cap.
40 points are easily gained, and if you took 6 cities already that will do.

"We are doing fine on our own" comes from what i roughly explained above (but more detailed in the link :) ).
Missing war success would actually result in "you must be joking right.."

How is your power rating compared to him? Think you need to be 2-3 times his power rating.Capturing the capital really does help. Going from 18-12 cities is hardly defeating him unless you have 40-50 cities.

As Mylene suggests global soldier power matters. Weak vassals can really making capitulation much harder.

Sometimes just losing 1 unit can make them feel like they are winning the war. Where if you gifted 4 cities and captured them in theory the Ai would capitulate assuming you lost no cities. You get 10 points for each captured city. 3 for each combat win. You lose points for lost combats.

And, no, you don’t always need the capital. Heck, I’ve had cases of capping without even taking cities at all.

Yep, sometimes destroying their biggest stack is enough. That's usually when you're already quite thicc in the lategame though.

Now, another thing that has so far not been mentioned afaik is sharing a land border - if you do not share a land border I believe it makes capitulation less likely - is that correct?

Top Bottom