Hard Crash at end of turn - 100% reproducible

Perhaps some inspiration is to be found in the way Civ V handled international projects? A much longer-burning version of that, with mini-project milestones that trigger the creation of each hero, granting benefits to the civ that 'wins' each milestone (thereby 'training' each hero) as well as contributing to the larger-scale goal of Assembling the heroes? ...I'm just spitballing, probably absurdly; I have zero programming knowledge and know nothing at all of what I speak.

The idea also reminds me of Mass Effect 3's interspecies galactic cooperation effort against the Reapers, though that's far afield of the programming mechanics here.

...and now, to well and truly unhijack the thread, I'm experiencing the problem initially reported here: a non-MAF crash that occurs during the AI's turn, toward the end of the AI processing. It happens at the same moment each time I reload, and it just dumps me back to the desktop with no error message or anything. I've tried reducing graphic levels to the lowest and activating the viewports (which I don't normally play with), but that hasn't helped.

This happened to me a few months ago as well, but going back a few turns and playing through solved the issue that time around. (Or, rather, avoided the crash trigger.) I've tried that here as well, but this time it isn't helping.

I know that nothing can be done about the increasingly frequent MAF errors, but perhaps, as with the thread author's issue, this is something that can be addressed? I've attached the save here. Thank you.

Attachments

• Elros crash backup.CivBeyondSwordSave
    10.5 MB · Views: 203
I'll see if I can get it to load and crash for me.

Here is you game on the next Turn. After the EoT wait of only 1 minute and 45 seconds it processed. I had to set a Culture to be built in 5 or 6 cities before I could save the game. So you can easily spot those and change them to you choice of build.

What are you Computer specs please?

I have an i7 2600k cpu @3.4GHz, with 16GB of DDR3 memory ram. I also have a Nvidia GTX 760 Ti OEM vid card with 2 GB DDR5 vid ram. I use a 1TB HD and OS is win 10 64 Pro. My system is considered a mid to low gaming comp. I run the game at 1920 x 1080 resolution and game graphics are set to High for most choices.

23 AI on a Gigantic map with you having the most cities at 45. Only on Prince Difficulty level though. 4338 turn out 20,000 for Eternity GS and at 359BC you are almost thru the Ren Era. You have Espionage slider at 100% so you next tech will take 24 turns. But if Esp is set to 20 with Culture at 10 and Research at 70 the same tech will only take 7 turns.

Your Treasury was at 101,xxx gold with 85,xxx gold/turn. You must be spending a lot of gold for a Treasury of only 101K at this point in the game.

You started this game with SVN 10103 and are currently using 10648 build.

Only Game set up Option that I question is the New Random Seed on Reload.

You have hogged every religion, lol. You can build almost a dozen+ Heroes if you want to. And there is still land to be settled! But I am concerned that your Cultural Level is at 128,xxx,xxx or was it 1,28x,xxx,xxx. Either way it is extremely high!

You Really need to be playing at a Much Higher Difficulty, like Immortal.

I suspect your reason for CTDing has to do with your computer specs. Also you do have a few TXT_KEY_ city name showing (your Naming conventions). And you had 2 Non Fatal error pop ups about Neanderthal War Dogs missing. And playing on a Gigantic C2C_World map with medium sea level on Eternity, and 23 AI could be stressing your ram and processor.

You could update to latest SVN, but not sure if that will help you much.

Attachments

• Elros Tar-Minyatur December 29, BC-0358.7z
    8.3 MB · Views: 167
...and now, to well and truly unhijack the thread, I'm experiencing the problem initially reported here: a non-MAF crash that occurs during the AI's turn, toward the end of the AI processing. It happens at the same moment each time I reload, and it just dumps me back to the desktop with no error message or anything. I've tried reducing graphic levels to the lowest and activating the viewports (which I don't normally play with), but that hasn't helped.

This happened to me a few months ago as well, but going back a few turns and playing through solved the issue that time around. (Or, rather, avoided the crash trigger.) I've tried that here as well, but this time it isn't helping.

I know that nothing can be done about the increasingly frequent MAF errors, but perhaps, as with the thread author's issue, this is something that can be addressed? I've attached the save here. Thank you.
Good and/or bad news - it didn't crash for me either. Do you have a lot of self-mods or modmods?

Attachments

• Elros Tar-Minyatur December 29, BC-0358.CivBeyondSwordSave
    10.8 MB · Views: 105
You Really need to be playing at a Much Higher Difficulty, like Immortal.
Oh indeed, if I were playing to be challenged or with competition in mind, I'd certainly be at a higher level. That's not my goal with this particular game, though. I tend to play two kinds of games: 'regular' competitive games and huge gigantic/eternity games that I treat as sandbox art projects, with the goal of creating as idyllic a world as possible. I make no pretense that the latter sort of game is 'fair' or challenging in any sense; it's...well, for those with a Tolkien background, I envision it as though I'm portraying the Second-Age realm of Númenor, endowed with genetic, cultural, and societal advantages relative to lesser kingdoms of mortals. (Thus the naming convention of the cities, etc.) That's why my civ is absurdly out of step with everyone else, and why I've got espionage set so high (precisely to slow everything else down -- I want to take as much time as possible).

What are you Computer specs please?
I'm running on an upper-mid-range laptop: i7-7700 @2.8GHz, 16GB DDR4, with an NVidia GTX1070 with 8 GB DDR5 VRAM. I run the game from a 128GB SSD, with Windows 10 x64. (Interestingly, my EoT time is significantly longer than yours, approaching seven minutes. I wonder why.) I run all settings on their max, but as I mentioned I've tried it with all settings set to minimum. Judging from many other posts here and elsewhere, I doubt that the RAM or processor are being taxed; I'm certainly no expert, but others consistently say that the crashes and whatnot have little to do with the computer specs but rather with the things the mod itself is trying to do. /shrug

Here is you game on the next Turn. After the EoT wait of only 1 minute and 45 seconds it processed. I had to set a Culture to be built in 5 or 6 cities before I could save the game. So you can easily spot those and change them to you choice of build.
Thank you! I don't understand why the crash didn't occur for you. I don't have time to mess with it at the moment, but I'll boot up the save and see how it looks and I'll report back.

Good and/or bad news - it didn't crash for me either. Do you have a lot of self-mods or modmods?
No, I've got nothing whatsoever added except for C2C. No crash for you either, eh? Hmm. Curiouser and curiouser.

(Interestingly, my EoT time is significantly longer than yours, approaching seven minutes. I wonder why.)
Suggestion, clear the cache folder contents Before you play the save. cache folder is found here for win 10 : C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache . This will cause the game to initially take longer to load, but it's just a 1 time thing.

Upon loading the save If the game asks for a Re-Calc, go ahead and do it too.

If it CTDs again for you (hope not), try Updating your version with the latest SVN version 10654. And try again.

Good Luck!

You could send us a minidump after my next commit if you keep getting the crash and it MIGHT give us a clue where to look but if others are loading it fine, then it's likely not a code error.

Top Bottom