Hardware requirements

Moth Bones

Chieftain
Given that C2C places demands on a computer that outstrip any other Civ4 mod I know of, it strikes me that a thread on the likely hardware requirements for given settings is a reasonable idea, especially as a mod with tons of stuff tends to bring out the 'maximum settings!' beast (at least for me).

I'm still feeling my way here - currently playing v24 on a Huge Perfectworld2f map at Eternity speed, starting with 7 AIs but with barbs able to become civs so I think there are at least 24 out there by now. Medium graphics settings. I don't expect to reach the modern era, but I'm about to hit the medieval (c. 300 BC) and things are pretty OK so far; I've had the odd freeze when I go to next turn but so far reloading the game has sorted them.

A noteworthy feature of my game is that I'm marooned on a small-medium island (7 cities working 90% of the land) and have made no contact with any other civs. I have virtually no military running around. I'm guessing these factors make it a fair bit easier on my computer.

PC specs - triple core 2.8GHz with 4 GB RAM, Vista Home Premium (64-bit), NVIDIA 9800 GT graphics card.

i doubt graphic settings have anything to do with load times, and your post doesnt have a question or any real meaning to it..

It's intended to prompt a discussion of what factors might affect crashes/freezes (and indeed load times for that matter) with the aim of helping people work out what settings might suit their PC. I'd assumed that graphics settings would make a difference; if you know otherwise, I'd like to hear about it.

you crash when you run out of memory

those happen, by
1.playing till late eras
2. flying around the map(obviously you need to trade for map or get satellites, watching black map wont load stuff ) = ends up loading too much stuff

These are the specs on my machine, which I think is about the lowest level you can go to before not being able to run C2C.

• Intel Core Duo Processor @1.86 Ghz
  • 3 GB RAM
  • Intel Integrated Graphics
  • Windows Vista 32 bit
Note that this rig is getting so slow at C2C that I will be upgrading soon. However, it gives a good idea of what will and will not run C2C.

with viewports MAFs are no longer a problem but even with a really good pc youll have to w8 a long time in late game for each turn

with viewports MAFs are no longer a problem but even with a really good pc youll have to w8 a long time in late game for each turn

Note that for faster turn times, "really good pc" pretty much means "cpu with really fast single-thread performance". More cpu cores, a better graphic card, and even more ram in some cases, won't help you much.

Note that for faster turn times, "really good pc" pretty much means "cpu with really fast single-thread performance". More cpu cores, a better graphic card, and even more ram in some cases, won't help you much.

That's why a recent Intel proc is better than older processors or AMD procs, as they will increase the clock speed for single-threaded apps. However, there are some things that CAN be multi-threaded, so watch this space.

What i would love to have is some advanced savegame on gigantic map and lets say 20 npcs posted on here so we could write down our system stats and the time it takes to calculate the next turn.

any volunteers :)?

What i would love to have is some advanced savegame on gigantic map and lets say 20 npcs posted on here so we could write down our system stats and the time it takes to calculate the next turn.

any volunteers :)?

I love this idea. If the savegame gets posted I'll definitely be posting my results.

Let's do some tests with This save, which is massively developed, but still only in the Medieval Era. Please post the results on the performance thread, along with your rig's specs.

Looks like the save require v20. I have v24. Is there somewhere I can install/revert to different version without screwing up my save games?

Looks like the save require v20. I have v24. Is there somewhere I can install/revert to different version without screwing up my save games?

Save games are mostly compatible across versions so you should be able to play a v20 game in v24. However trying to play a v24 game in v20 may be problematic.

Save games are mostly compatible across versions so you should be able to play a v20 game in v24. However trying to play a v24 game in v20 may be problematic.

No - this is nothing to do with V20. For some reason the game that has been chosen as a benchmark has been saved from a mod NAMED 'Caveman to Cosmos v20', so what the op means is that he can't load it because he doesn't have a mod named that.

It's a bad choice of benchmark game, since nearly nobody will be able to load it without jumping through hoops.

It's a bad choice of benchmark game, since nearly nobody will be able to load it without jumping through hoops.

They are pretty large hoops, though. Wouldn't simply renaming the mod and the ini file work?

EDIT---disclaimer; I have no intention of doing so as the link warns of reducing graphics and that is a "smaller hoop" that I'm not willing to do

They are pretty large hoops, though. Wouldn't simply renaming the mod and the ini file work?

EDIT---disclaimer; I have no intention of doing so as the link warns of reducing graphics and that is a "smaller hoop" that I'm not willing to do

Renaming your mod folder and changing your INI file accordingly would do it, but it's a bit of a pain to ask people to do if we want to get a large sample.

Renaming your mod folder and changing your INI file accordingly would do it, but it's a bit of a pain to ask people to do if we want to get a large sample.

Oh well, it was the only developed save I could find on the forums. If we don't want to use that one, someone would need to post another save.

Top Bottom