Harvesting resources?

He didn’t say chops themselves were being nerfed. He was, as I recall (and as you reference), referring to exploiting policy card chop overflow for purposes other than what the card covers (e.g., using a unit-oriented policy card to chop a unit covered by that card to generate a large amount of overflow that is then used, e.g., to rush a district — the policy card overflow would be lost unless you use the overflow to build another unit that is covered by the policy card).

Magnus’ “Groundbreaker” will be nerfed from 100% chop increase to 50%.

All those choppable bonus ressources could be useful in a 3rd expansion with a ‘Corporation’ feature, where they could enjoy huge benefits (huge, because late in the game) with an established branch. Those benefits could be production, science, food, culture or any combination of them - all depending on the type of corporation founded. They also could apply directly on the resource tile or have more general effects on the city with a corpration branch that just requires the ressource’s presence in the city.

This would make the cost/benefit evaluation for early chopping even more interesting, as ressource-deprived cities might be lackluster for powerful late-game mechanics.

What’s the deal with people harvesting resources?
Have a look at the chopping example link in my signature.

Some facts about copping people have not mentioned.

You can use crab and stone all game gather the gold or production off the item and then in the last turns of the game you can then harvest it for a huge amount.... why would you not unless playing immersively until the very end.

A tree will give you production over time, you are not chopping enough trees to destroy the forest but what is in essence happening is your population is chopping, just not overchopping. Harvesting is overchopping, destroying the resource to get a larger faster hit. There are always times you may be desperate and need this.

I used to wonder about the value of chopping a cow. With a government district giving great additional adjacency (+2 normally) you see your city is at 3 pop and will take 25 turns to get to 4 pop and the government district needs you to have 4 pop, have a cow feast to grow your pop and get your government district before it escalates in price.

There are just many many reasons... the reason people do not chop seems to be they prefer the look of trees and have a green agenda at a period in history where it did not exist.

I usually only chop a resource (besides rainforests) if it’s in a spot I really want to put a district

Because most improvements are garbage. You're doing things, but these things are not actually helping you win.

If you can chop something for an immediate 100 production, or wait for a lumber mill to give 2 production per turn so it gives the same production in 50 turns.... well, how many 50 turns are there in the game? And this is just not lumbermills. A lot of improvements don't get buffed til very late in the tech tree.

Also, because of escalating costs of districts, settlers, and builders, 2 production also means less over time. This is also why I think escalating district costs is a terrible "feature"

It also doesn't help that Lumber Mills don't come early, and also don't even reach their full potential until later.

Why would you wait for something so mediocre for so long and then wait even longer to watch it become slightly less mediocre? It makes no sense. I'm not even talking about big ego turn 100 wins. They're not even for value even if you play until 2050.

I mean, yes, I do a lot of suboptimal stuff too, like build Ruhr Valley, concentrate trade routes, and fast oracle GMs, but I never pass them off as actually legitimate strategies and do acknowledge that players that actually want to get better, should not do them. It's pretty irresponsible otherwise.

That being said, there are a number of reasons why you would not chop, and that is because you do not have the tech yet to build something you need. One of the most famous example is the spaceport, because it is a large bottleneck,. but there are also various wonders of which you'd be better off reserving the space for because it will help you out very fast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom