Having problems in the modern era...

to be fair...he is playing north korea so it makes sense his cities are starving.

maybe it is intended for this scenario...

or maybe you turned off 'enable pop. growth' in your city screen, ya might wanna check that

Doing well so far... But im starting to get boxed in by England and Japan :(
I could probably expand south a bit, but it looks like I'll run into Germany (I just saw one of there scouts come from that area)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 119
5 cities by 1 AD is a bit slow... Apparently you are playing on quite low difficulty if you can be ahead of the AI with that.

Some hints:

Get more workers, improve the available resources asap.

In the future, ALWAYS try to settle your cities with a food resource in the first ring and have a worker ready to improve that resource on the same turn that you settle, if not before in case it was already in your cultural borders. Note that though I put "always" in caps, it still says always "try". Of course it is not every time possible in case you have to grab some vital strategic resource in a spot without food, but when there is food, get it. Nampo, for example, should really be 1NW and it would have rice and sheep in first ring. As it is now, get a monument in there for culture asap so you can start working those!

Statue of Zeus is complete garbage, never build it, except perhaps for the GA points in a culture game. You might sometime put hammers into it for failgold, but no point in doing so at lower difficulty levels.

Connect your cities with roads unless they are connected by other means (rivers or coast) for trade routes.

Don't automate your workers. Grassland farms and especially plains farms are worth nothing. Any plains tiles without resources are usually useless early game, better to whip out any pop that would work those. Riverside green tiles and floodplains are the strongest candidates for cottages, especially around your cap.

Granary should be the first build in most of your cities. Then you want a library in your science city, barracks in production cities and a forge in most cities. Most other buildings are very situational.

Oh, and did I mention that you need more workers?

No harm in settling cities closer together. Sharing tiles between cities is a good thing most of the time. Unless there is a specific reason to settle the first cities far away from your capital, it's usually good to put them at a distance of 3-4 tiles max. Then they can share resources with the capital and help growing cottages.

If you get these things right in the early game, you will be absolutely crushing whatever difficulty you are playing now. Just settle a few cities in good locations, improve your lands wisely, don't build a ton of unnecessary buildings, instead build an army and conquer the world.

Im just wondering, does anyone know if theres a guide that shows you how to add your own civics to the game? Because then I could just add "International Isolation" and "Information Censorship" civics to my game :)

Im just wondering, does anyone know if theres a guide that shows you how to add your own civics to the game? Because then I could just add "International Isolation" and "Information Censorship" civics to my game :)

Ask that in Creation & Customization. It is possible to mod civics.

Top Bottom