hearts of iron mod

supaguruzebidy

Kill,Kill,Kill,Kill,Kill!
I am a big fan of civ and a big fan of hearts of iron. For me a blend of the two games would be great. So why not make a mod that incorporates the two. This would basically update the combat of civ to include some new concepts that would add alot of balance to the game.

MANPOWER: In hearts of iron you have a manpower pool. Every time you build a unit or suffer losses it comes out of the manpower pool. In civ the idea would be that of instead of churning 100's of units endlessy spamming cavalry until victory was yours, you would be limited by the manpower pool. Run out of manpower and you cannot build any new units, nor repair damaged ones. As such medical units and hospitals wouldn't actually heal units, but as it were increase the survivability chances for wounded troops to heal and return to the manpower pool. To find out what manpower levels you have, you would add the population points of all your cities together and then take 30% of the total. Therefore small nations could really only have small armies because they only have small manpower pools. While big nations could have ,naturally, big armies. Conquered cities/nations would not add much to the manpower pool initially but as time passes they would slowly add points into the manpower pool.

INDUSTRIAL CAPACITY: In civ production is an individual city by city thing, in hearts of iron it is a total of all your industrial output combined. For the mod the concept would be to add all the hammers of all your cities together to come up with an industrial output. From this you can build units and supplies. When a city is building an improvement or wonder its hammers are removed from the I.C pool.

RATIONS(FOOD): This concept isn't really in either game. An army marches on its stomach and without food quickly disintergrates into chaos. Food resources will have a tonnage (bread) per turn value. A certain amount of tonnage will go to the civilian population to feed them the remainder can be used to feed your forces. Mounted units will require additional rations to feed their mounts.

GOLD, SILVER: Now will no longer have a set value of GPT. Instead they will have a tonnage value. So when you build a mine on a supply of gold you might find it has 20 million tonnes that at current tech levels you can mine at 1000 tonnes a year. You may well have several mines like this you may have only one, but from this will be extracted your states expenses (including your army) the rest will go into your gold reserve. The same will apply for silver. The reserves are yours to do as you please you can keep them spend them or trade them much like in the game of civ.

LUXURY ITEMS: These include spices, sugar, incense. Once again these supply a tonnage per turn, some will be used by the civilian population the surplus can be traded much like the current game.

STRATEGIC RESOURCES: These include iron, copper, coal and oil. Your army needs these. Without them you cannot build nor maintain a military force outside of archers and warriors. Once again when mined they will have a reserve value and a per turn value in tonnage. Oil is the exception which will be in barrels in reserve and barrels per turn. If you run out of oil any unit that requires it, while not destroyed, will be inactive and will not fight back if engaged.

SUPPLIES: These will require strategic resources and I.C to manufature. These are needed by your army as supplies tonnes per turn. You will be required to provide at least this much per turn or else the quality and combat effectiveness of your military will suffer.

TECHNOLOGY: In hearts of iron you don't trade for techs you swap blueprints. You will still need to research the tech yourself but the blueprints make it much quicker. As well in hearts of iron you can research multiple techs at once. I would like to see this implemented if possible assigning a percentage of beakers to each available project. As well as the current civ techs there would be additional new techs to encompass the ideas of hearts of iron. These new techs would increase population growth, production levels of resources per turn, production level of manufactured goods, manufacturing of military units and more. Blueprints can be gained through combat, the debris of war can provide a wealth of information, therefore an army that doesn't have guns when engaging one that does will come across these weapons during the course of battle. This will give them blueprints for rifling, ofcourse they will still have to learn how to make them and the assiociated techs will be needed too.

WEAPONS TRADING: This is a new concept I have been thinking off. Nations that don't have the brains but do have the cash can buy weapons off nations that are willing to sell them. Doing this may be looked upon poorly by other nations. When doing this the manpower will come from the buying nation and the IC and tech from the selling nation. This will also give the buying nation the blueprints for the tech involved directly with the weapon. Supplies for these weapons will also be needed to be purchased until the current tech level of the weapons has been researched.

So these are the main ideas the mod will be based around. Combat will be very different with forces withdrawing when getting mauled, surrendering when demoralized and dying when surrounded. Also you will only be able to fit a certain amount of troops per tile. Lines of supply will be in effect with troops needing friendly/neutral tiles adjecent in order to be in supply. I also need to fighure out a way to implement combat ie, how damage is calculated, how unit strength is calculated. Hearts of Iron uses organization which is a combination of morale, tactical training, tech level, health, supply level and experince. Once a units organization starts to drop the casualities increase. Im wondering how to transfer this to civ.

I hope there are some interested parties that would like to work on this as I am not much of a modder.

Well I'm mot much of a modder (I think about 1/3 of my posts begin this way) either. Great ideas, very creative, but based on the tiny amount I've learned reading the mod manuals some of the changes will be impossible and others very difficult to make because you're talking about replacing entire game mechanics with different systems. (like the manpower pool or industrial capacity)

All of the wonderful things modders have done over the years have been within the confines of the 'core dll' (I think I'm getting that right) which Firaxis has never released. For example being able to research more than one tech at once would mean some rewriting of the core dll which simply isn't going to happen since we don't know what's in it / how it's structured.:(

My advice would be to suggest things you would like to see to Firaxis in case Civ 5 ever comes out:) There are some really talented people that still visit the site though, maybe one of them is an Hearts of Iron fan too...

Isnt Hearts of Iron a WWI game? If it is, I would reccomend looking at the mod-in-progress Blood and Iron. It is scheduled for March/April release. What you are proposing looks relativly complex, with even when it gets coded, can the AI understand it.

Hearts of Iron is a WW2 game and in my opion would make an awesome mod. Unfortunately you're question about the AI is a valid one. It would probably be very difficult if not impossible to get the AI to understand most of it. If anybody is interested in another WW2 mod - I'll be releasing a beta version of my Civ4 Panzer General in a several weeks. Among other things it has a lot of combat changes in it.

I didnt know it was WWII, I could have sworn it was WWI. About you Panzer General Game, are the turn times faster than Dales Road to War mod and slightly less complex? There were just to many things going on in RtW (even with all that, he didnt include the British Matilda II Infantry tank) and the turn times were way to slow.

I didnt know it was WWII, I could have sworn it was WWI. About you Panzer General Game, are the turn times faster than Dales Road to War mod and slightly less complex? There were just to many things going on in RtW (even with all that, he didnt include the British Matilda II Infantry tank) and the turn times were way to slow.

I havn't played RTW, but I'm guessing that my turn times will be somewhat reduced. The economy and city management have been greatly reduced. Things like religion, culture, and corporations have been removed. Turns are one day in length. There are different maps for each battle. I havn't finished any of the full sized maps yet, but I'm figuring on somewhere between 20 to 50 turns per map.

You mentioned the Matilda II tank unit. Do you know where one is available? I'd like to add it to my mod. The Matilda is currently the only unit in my mod that doesn't have the correct graphics.

In RtW, the turn times were horrendus (my comp isnt bad, but the turns were 5 min+) mainly due to the AI sending every unit to a different square every single turn and the 'Bitter Winter' effect in Russia. It shiped with BtS.

About the Matilda II: I looked in the downloads database, I cant find the Matilda II, despite it being one of the major British Tanks in North Africa and WWII.

So Panzer General is going to be more 'battle like' and not as 'campaign like'?

So Panzer General is going to be more 'battle like' and not as 'campaign like'?

Correct. There are a few campaign like features, but it's mostly about combat. The combat improvements include bombardment and air bombing from Dales Combat Mod, Zone of control around enemy units, air bases (cities no longer hold air units), changed movement system, units limited to 2 per tile (except cities - they can hold the same number of units as their population). There are also units like artillery, infantry, at guns, etc. that can mount and dismount. For example artillery units can't move, but you can "mount" the artillery, and it will turn into a truck that can move, but can't attack or bombard and is somewhat weak defensively.

There are some campaign like features. Your generals remain with you from map to map (your other units are lost). You can earn reinforcement points and do research - both of these also continue from map to map. When you win a battle, the next map is automatically loaded.

Sounds awsome. To the OP, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Well I'm mot much of a modder (I think about 1/3 of my posts begin this way) either. Great ideas, very creative, but based on the tiny amount I've learned reading the mod manuals some of the changes will be impossible and others very difficult to make because you're talking about replacing entire game mechanics with different systems. (like the manpower pool or industrial capacity)

All of the wonderful things modders have done over the years have been within the confines of the 'core dll' (I think I'm getting that right) which Firaxis has never released. For example being able to research more than one tech at once would mean some rewriting of the core dll which simply isn't going to happen since we don't know what's in it / how it's structured.:(

My advice would be to suggest things you would like to see to Firaxis in case Civ 5 ever comes out:) There are some really talented people that still visit the site though, maybe one of them is an Hearts of Iron fan too...

You make a valid point, more information is needed I think on whether it is possible.

On top of this I have had an idea about expanding the tiles. In this concept the tiles that are currently in the game would actually be divided into a further nine tiles (3x3). Each of these tiles could have individual improvements on them much like the current game. Why do this you ask, well you see in the city square only one tile of the nine would be populated. The remaining tiles could then be worked. As the city grows tiles would be occupied. Once the population grew bigger than 9 the city would expand into new adjecent tiles. This would mean when attacking a city it would have to be taken tile by tile, this would give different defensive bonuses for different parts of the city and would require complete occupation of all the tiles in order to claim the city. This would introduce street fighting into the mix, allowing smaller weaker armies to hold off larger mechanized ones. Also when an airforce bombs a city it would only affect one tile of the city requiring true carpet bombing in order to reduce a cities defenses.

I was thinking about the manpower and ic concepts. Gold & research in civ4 is calculated as a group value, there must be some way of taking that code and applying it to hammers and population.

Sounds ambitious. I think the best approach would be to start building mini-mods based on each component. I think it'd also be best to accept that emulation, instead of conversion is more approachable.

E.g. For the Manpower pool idea, there already is a food for units concept (since food=growth). Using that as your start might make the modding easier. I was just thinking all units could have both a food component and a hammer component, rather than set hammer component that food helps fulfill. So a unit wouldn't be completed until it fulfilled both hammers and food components--avoiding the fallacies of food = rifles and hammers = people.

For resource pooling, I don't think there is a mod for that, but there is a lot of discussion on it. I had a thought that a simple version would use the capital as a central warehouse with cities optionally plugged in as receiving or donating to the pool. E.g. city 1 could be set to donating, city 2 and city could be set to receiving, and the city list could have the option of setting cities as receiving by a priority queue. E.g. City 2 could be set to receive before City 1, so if City2's production uses up the hammer pool, it would still make it's unit, while City 1's wouldn't be completed.
So as long as a city had a path to the capital, it could partake in resource pooling as a supplier or a recipient.

It could get more interesting by modeling efficiency (I'm thinking of Victoria) of the path to the capital. Blockading could reduce efficiency as might length of roads. There could also be an abstract logistics motor pool (thinking of a separate screen) where the player could donate their units from the map to the pool to help improve efficiency of the transport. Basically at inefficient rates, the resource pool would be taxed a percentage, so pooling would be inefficient unless well supported with units, well roaded, and pathways between cities were cleared of enemy.

Top Bottom