1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hegemon! Of the Classical Greek World!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Rambuchan, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

I'm roleplaying as the Corinthians Ram. Corinth is the best city in Greece and therefore the world. ;)

2. Keroro

Keroro Dororo: Ninja Frog

You're not wrong. :) Korinth stands supreme.

3. iPwn

iPwn Chieftain

I played Corinth on emperor and since I disrespect emperor AI so much, I decided that I am not going to pay if anyone demands anything. Was not going to pay for peace either. So I was constantly at war with 3-4 AI (Sparta, Aetolia, Athens, Thebes, Epeiros, Macedon, Thrake, Chersonesos all wanted something from me at some point) = fun. Here is a little guide. The trick is NOT to build towns in Peloponnesos, so spartans can only attack Corinth and not some weaker town. Also, instead of building a settler, build herald, then one worker, improve land, build potter wheel and start pumping out akonistes. When you have 6 of them attack theban town, take it, make peace for techs or maybe another town. Then attack athenians - don`t try to take towns, just fortify on their copper and stay there. Do not accept peace regardless what they offer, you must stay on their copper. Take all Attica when 1st champ shows up. After that cashrush granaries everywhere and your uber land and awesome civ traits will make life easy now. Don`t forget to rape Penelope at some point, she looks so bored and stuck on that small island.

Attached Files:

• aaaa.jpg
      aaaa.jpg
      File size:
      264.8 KB
      Views:
  4. PiotrG

PiotrG Chieftain

iPwn is impressive :hatsoff:

I have to try to play Corinth

5. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

Yes, it's not that difficult if you can bottle the Spartans up. Thing is, it's very hard not to conquer Mykenai or the Argolid. Or even Elis. But at one point you're overstretched and the Spartiates will grab everything else you don't grab. The recommendable thing is to strike out towards Ithake, Dardania/Kerkyra (you have a Wonder you can build there) and sometimes even take Ambrakia, in general, just take islands that the Spartans can't attack that well until they get amphibious troops, and a half-dozen Hoplites spread along a small island will be enough.

6. iPwn

iPwn Chieftain

I did get that Corcyra wonder. As for Sparta - I just don`t care about them anymore, my target is Macedon, so I am just killing everyone who is in the way.

7. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

The goal to beat Sparte is to beat them early and get them before they can build their strong units for the era. Sparte otherwise will grow too strong. After playing as Sparte I found once you get them going it is very easy to play. I managed to win the game in 408BC via a tribute victory. I think it was too easy to include all the other elements to tribute besides the capture units. By the end I almost had 50% of all the tribute points. Also my capital by the end had 9 wonders in it.

I have a few questions about two units. Is the agrothes meant to be wheeled so that it cannot enter mountains? It doesn't say in the pedia and since it is a worker unit, that is a big handicap. Also the pedia says that the Ekdormos enters mountains but it can't since it is also wheeled.

8. Rambuchan

Rambuchan The Funky President

Praises to iPwn for cracking a very shrewd strategy with Korinth, and to Takhisis and Keroro for their kinky role play. All my test games with them were very early in the scenario's development, so I never really flew with them properly. But I knew, when designing them later on, that great things could be achieved. I think they are definitely one of the more challenging, involved and enjoyable civs to play.

I would add to that category the Illyrians and the Thracians. I had some really good fun with those guys in test games. Very different texture and strategy to that found with the Greeks. I'd be most interested to hear what tricks players have come up with for them. I always found ways of getting them to punch with the big guns, but always found it a challenge finishing the victory with both of those. But I know it's possible. They were significant and (IMHO) deliberately unsung players in classical Greek history.

A note to Classical Hero and any other compulsive bug finders: (1) I've just taken on a new contract with work, so will be massively consumed with real life duties and will thus be unable to service any more minor changes but (2) Scenarios and mods are very rarely completely finished and there will more often than not be some minor bug or other, meaning that they there is always some excuse for a patch but (3) This scenario has had plenty of plenty of attention paid to it and it's as polished as one could hope for, be that player or designer, so don't worry about those little things, there is a beauty in its internal logic that I'm sure you will come to discern in time and (4) I will always be reading each post, every post, at the very least and will chip in whenever when time allows :)

9. iPwn

iPwn Chieftain

The most 'shrewd' strategy is the one I do with Thessalia... Here is a pic from my experiment at demigod. Build order is - warrior, worker, potters wheel, palaestra, that wonder they have, granary, baracks and only then some settlers. Wars fought: Athens and Epeiros demanded something, I said no - they lost all warriors and paid for peace. Took a town from Lokris, killed their warriors and they paid for peace. Demanded something from Korinth - they said no, so I did something bad with their settler. Took a town from Phokis, I am interested what they can offer for peace.
    Near future plans - complete destruction of Macedon.
    I think Thessalia is by far the best civ outside the big 5. And very fun!

Attached Files:

10. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

With all the various civs out there, there is just so many different strategies to be taken.

11. Rambuchan

If you like playing with Thessaly - and I certainly do - then Phokis are another good one, quite similar to them but a bit more cultural/tribute inclined:

They are centrally located to get a jump on some of the big guns early, especially Thebes and Athens. Phokis also have a very cool UU in the Delphic Priest, which extracts Tribute from enemy units. Those guys can really rack up both the Tribute points and the cash quite nicely if used en masse (though that can be risky as they are miserable in defence). And, on top of that, Phokis get three, yes three!, nifty Colony Wonders in addition to their Civ Unique Wonder which is related to their holy capital city of Delphi and a certain famous Oracle there.

Those people of Phokis certainly were plucky, influential characters.

12. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

A few Prodromoi -or Hades, Gymnitoi- and those priests last as long as olive oil in the presence of a starving Persian.

13. Vivaporius

Vivaporius Chieftain

I love the mod. Played as Athens and I'm moving to invade Sparta. I hope to see antoher mod from you equally as amazing as this one. By the way, I also enjoy the historical bits you've added to the Civilopedia. Always nice to see someone who continues to incorporate the history that inspired the scenario.

14. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

Your name makes us think you're a Roman, or at the very least an Italiote. Speak, O visitor from the West! Why is your name not Vivaporios?

15. Vivaporius

Vivaporius Chieftain

Haha! The origin of my name I know of not, but of what I know for a fact is that I like it. Perhaps it is Latin, perhaps it is Greek. The world may never know.

16. Rambuchan

Great to hear from you and thanks for posting such a resounding endorsement. If you are interested in other scenarios I have made, you need only look at my signature.

Anyway, I'm always pleased to hear about new players enjoying this scenario. Are you following a conventional historical path with Athens or carving out a new strategy?

17. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

Ram, 'not being humbled by Spartē' is always a non-conventional historical path, and generally most players never get to Byzantion with Athens. ;)

18. Rambuchan

Hi folks,

Just posting to say that I've updated absolutely nothing about this game. No changes whatsoever since the latest patch.

But I did take it for another whirl, just to check that it rocks. And I'm glad to report that it does indeed rock.

Cheers,

Ram

:cool:

19. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

I shall not rest until the Sfendonites are included as units.

20. iPwn

iPwn Chieftain

I think this scenario needs female gymnitoi (spelling?) units. Also I am not sure if temple is the right building for causing happiness...