Hellenistic Times Scenario

Should I let the Parthians have War Elephants and/or armored Elephants? The Sassanids used them, but the Parthians were originally Scythians with some Mongoloid mixture, so they preferred heavy cavalry and horse archers.

Don´t worry, varwnos beat you to it. But what I meant was for the map to be taken to the limits of the land, actually. Still, i think that the Parthians will have almost no infantry but excellent cavalry (both light and heavy), and almost everyone else will have good infantry.

According to Roman writers, Parthian armies often include large numbers of local levies on foot, troops that were no match for Roman legionaries. Could make for a cheap defender. No professional foot troops seem to have existed.

Hey, Conformist, how many thours non-stop are you online? I have found you available at any time I´ve tried. Do you ever log off?
btw what about the Parthian War Elephants?

I tend to be intermittently online during the evenings. I logged in here when I come home from uni around seven, but since then I've also reinstalled CivIII, played it some, visited other webpages, and read bits of a book on steel warships and another one on the scientific worldview. I should also have been reading a book on the merits of animal rights (they're a bad idea according to the author) and done some homework, but that'll have to be tomorrow.

The Last Conformist said:
I tend to be intermittently online during the evenings. I logged in here when I come home from uni around seven, but since then I've also reinstalled CivIII, played it some, visited other webpages, and read bits of a book on steel warships and another one on the scientific worldview. I should also have been reading a book on the merits of animal rights (they're a bad idea according to the author) and done some homework, but that'll have to be tomorrow.
:D I sometimes do that of intermitently logging on/off, and sometimes remember to do my homework. What time is it there now?
…
Still no answer to the Elephants thing. Is everybody ignoring it on purpose?

Well, in Rome: Total War the Parthians do have War Elephants, but since RTW´s inaccuracies are quite big, I´m not so sure.

I have a strange querie- why, if there are only a hundred-odd posts in this thread and a dozen or so subscripted, are there 1500 views, more or less?
Well, I´m off to dinner. Fish with rice, delicious!

A GIS for "parthian war elephant" finds an notably elephant-less Parthian courtier and a Sassanid war elephant, for what it's worth.

I suppose it's worth noting that both the Parthians Seleucid predecessors and Sassanid successors fielded war elephants.

Some Parthian units

Attachments

• Parthiantroops1.gif
    Parthiantroops1.gif
    255.3 KB · Views: 157
Others. Except for the cataphract these are pricnipaly levies that were about the same at the time of the Parthians. Of course they would create basic levies at the beginning , the others are from areas they controlled later (Kurds, Anatolia,...).

I have never read nor heard anything about Parthian elephants. Since elephants then were coming from either India or from North Africa and that I don't think their neighbors would have let them buy some...

Attachments

• Parthiantroops2.gif
    Parthiantroops2.gif
    143.9 KB · Views: 107
The cap used by the most early Horse archer resembles that which was later used by the Huns and also in Sogdiana (Uzbekiztan) where it´s still used.

Well then, I´ll allow the Parthians to have War Elephants (not Armored Elephants), but only if they have Elephants to ride, the Elephants can be found only in some parts of the Seleucid Empire, Libya and in the Far East

Should Egypt have War Elephants? InRFRE they do have them, but Iñm not so sure about it.

All right, I´l let both Parthia and Egypt have the War Elephants, but still the Armored Elephants will be only for the Seleucids.

Sassinid Persians used Elephants, Parthians didn't. Antigonid Diadochoi used them aswell as Ptolomaic and Seleucid.

Also (from a few pages back) Sparta would enter a League if it led it eg the Peloponnesian League against Athens and the Delian League in the Peloponnesian War and in the Corinthian War vs Thebes, Athens, Corinth and Argos. But by this stage in history Sparta was broken and, refusing to bow to Macedonia in the League of Corinth was isolated and impotent. Strong enough to resist invasion (331 bc) but had no power outside Laconia.

Cant wait for this mod. Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom