Help finding aqueduct/industrial complex triangle

Vinegar_Joe

Chieftain
Hi all I started a game of vanilla civ 6 and found this starting location. I have the game saved at turn 1. I think there’s a aqueduct triangle here but having trouble finding it. I played about 30 turns and started placing aqueducts only to find that the west city only allows an aqueduct placement on the 2/1 forest tile to the NW and directly across the river or the 2 food grassland tile to the NE. This seems to contradict the guides I’ve seen on aqueduct placement. The horses tile (where I want to put the aqueduct) is a river tile and says so when I hover over that tile. The jungle tile to the SE is also a river but won’t allow me to place an aqueduct there. Any ideas? I’m happy to go back to turn 1 to get this triangle if it’s there.

Attachments

• 98080BB8-7703-4658-945A-A59085848D51.png
    98080BB8-7703-4658-945A-A59085848D51.png
    16.4 MB · Views: 147
You can't build districts on tiles with strategic or luxury resources, that's why you can't build it on the horse tile. And you probably haven't researched Bronze Working yet, which allows you to clear rainforest, which you need in order to place a district on that tile. If you place the Aqueduct on the rainforest tile, you can then place the IZ to the east of it, on the 1/3 plains hill woods tile. That way you'll only be losing 2 production on the central IZ, compared to your plan.

One more thing though - according to the wiki at least, the Aqueduct IZ adjacency only works for Gathering Storm, so I suggest you check the IZ tooltip or civilopedia first, just to be sure.

Last edited:
You can't place districts over strategic resources once they've been revealed. I have had many excellent districts blocked by resources over the years so I feel your pain.

As for the jungle, I'm not sure why that would be a problem. Have you researched bronze working yet? It is the technology required to chop jungles.

Ah yes makes sense. No aqueduct adjacency in vanilla. Poo. I have gs and rf on my pc. This game is on my iPad and vanilla. Also don’t have bronze working yet. Is there a way to clear the horses? Obviously will abandon the iz triangle for this game but would like to know for future if there’s a triangle here. Is it possible to turn a save game into a map or scenario that I could port into gs?

In the future if you wanted to IZ that zone, you could move the left aqueduct SW, and then you could set the 3 IZ as the SW-C-E tiles around the wheat. It's not as good - you don't get the 3-Aqueduct adjacency, but each of them do border 2 aqueducts, and horses do give a standard bonus to IZ I think as well, so they're each still going to be around +6.

Ah yes makes sense. No aqueduct adjacency in vanilla. Poo. I have gs and rf on my pc. This game is on my iPad and vanilla. Also don’t have bronze working yet. Is there a way to clear the horses? Obviously will abandon the iz triangle for this game but would like to know for future if there’s a triangle here. Is it possible to turn a save game into a map or scenario that I could port into gs?
I don’t think it’s easily possible to port one game into a new rule set unfortunately.

Unfortunately, no strategic resource may be cleared by any means (horses, iron, niter, coal, aluminum, oil, uranium)

I don’t think it’s easily possible to port one game into a new rule set unfortunately.

Unfortunately, no strategic resource may be cleared by any means (horses, iron, niter, coal, aluminum, oil, uranium)

There are mods for that.

While this isn't a solution, if you see a good spot for a district and you can already place the district, place it. This will lock in the district, so even if you discover a resource underneath it, you can still finish it.

But yes, not being able to build districts on strategic resources or luxuries is the main reason why you settle on them. You still get the additional yields associated with the resources (this also works with bonus resources)

But yes, not being able to build districts on strategic resources or luxuries is the main reason why you settle on them. You still get the additional yields associated with the resources (this also works with bonus resources)
Which is one of those small design choices I really don't like about Civ6. Why exactly is it my people get more happy because I settle my metropolis on a site that used to host Citrus trees, or why is it gets more productive because I place it over where cows used to live? Anyway, that's just a personal pet peeve.

Why exactly is it my people get more happy because I settle my metropolis on a site that used to host Citrus trees
I'd say that abundant happiness results from the ability to gain Citrus fruits without the knowledge of irrigation, the need to train a builder unit, the time to move that builder unit onto the Citrus, the investment of a builder charge and the option to sell those Citrus to the first civilization you meet for an insane prize (despite they probably don't really need luxuries at that time & the human player immediately invests that gold against them).

[Of course a city on grasslandCitrus (4food) needs to receive additionally the standard production point as this is a clear emergency case.]

Which is one of those small design choices I really don't like about Civ6. Why exactly is it my people get more happy because I settle my metropolis on a site that used to host Citrus trees, or why is it gets more productive because I place it over where cows used to live? Anyway, that's just a personal pet peeve.

if you settle on an antiquity site with a native american artifact your city should be haunted

Really don't understand why this has to function differently for city centres and the rest of the districts.

Really don't understand why this has to function differently for city centres and the rest of the districts.

I guess because city spots are already much more limited than district spots because they have to be 3 tiles apart from each other.

I'd like a small change where you still can settle on luxuries but only receive them once you researched the appropriate tech. So settling on Tobacco for example, gives you the faith instantly, but you only get the Tobacco after you researched irrigation.

While we're at it: If any unit - Military Engineers for example - could learn how to destroy artifacts, I'd greatly appreciate it. They could even at some flavor to it by letting this cause grievances.

You can't place districts over strategic resources once they've been revealed. I have had many excellent districts blocked by resources over the years so I feel your pain.

Funnily enough, if you place them BEFORE the resource is revealed they DO work as extractors once the tech kicks in.

Ugh, really, I just can't wrap my head around some design decisions in this game. Just allow placing on top and work as extractors (even if it means losing the yield).

Funnily enough, if you place them BEFORE the resource is revealed they DO work as extractors once the tech kicks in.

Ugh, really, I just can't wrap my head around some design decisions in this game. Just allow placing on top and work as extractors (even if it means losing the yield).

Especially stuff like nor being able to plow horses or iron in the modern era. If I don't want to mine iron anymore, and would rather place a neighbourhood or district or windmill or whatever there instead, feels like that should be an option.

Top Bottom