help for a civ3 vet

kingstuart

still in a big country
hi i'm king stuart and i am a civ3 lover.
there i confess an feel better. i want to learn and like civ4 but i got a problem. can you help me out?

i am a long time civ3 player. i go back to civ2. i admit i bought 4 about 9 months ago but i have a hard time getting into it. i played it a couple of times and lost interest. that is a shame because what i really like about civ3 is the mod and scens users come up with and civ4 has a ton of them. the problem for me is the graphics. i did see these two quotes actually before i bought the game because i thought the graphics could be an issue for me.

so my question is-i ask here because maybe this is an easy answer for somebody while it would take me way too long to figure it out-can i play the game on the usual play screen in some sort of civ3 or 2 view? if so how do i do that-baby or idiot steps spelled out would be great.

quote 1-this is from the civ4 overview page on this site:

bold is where my question is

The new 3D engine will allow for powerful, smooth zooming, from a global level, to a very local one. The tiles of Civ4 are plain squares, rather than the diamond view we had with Civilization III (when viewing the game from the default position). The Camera views are very flexible. You can spin it around any way you like. There is a Civ3-Style Isometric view, and the classic Civilization I top-down view. You may zoom in and out by using the Mouse-Wheel (speaking of Mice, Civ4 will even have its own specific Mouse-Cursor).

quote 2

You will also be able to smoothly zoom in from a rotating global view all the way down to the city level, as well as change the camera angle to a Civ2 style isometric view or a Civ1 style top-down view.

i think if i "saw" the game better or what am used to, i would enjoy it. can you help me or am i just %^$# out of luck and have to man up and learn o love the civ4 graphics??

thanks much
kingstuart

I am also a Civ2 vet (never played 3, though) and I like the CivIV graphics just the way they are. However, you can mess around with the display a bit.

• Alt+O will give a more 2-dimensional look to the map, flattening out a lot of the 3D graphics. This is more like Civ2's perspective.
  • Alt+F will take you to "satellite view", which is a top-down perspective more like original Civ.

Oh thanks, I never knew that.
After looking at the other views though, I found that I like the regular civ 4 view better. I guess I'm just too used to it.
I'm a Civ 3 vet and I like the Civ 4 graphics better.

Hi Stuart. I go back to Civ II Gold and Civ III Conquests also, and I didn't like IV when I first got it either. You eventually get used to the graphics. My real point is that Civ IV vanilla is pretty lame (if that's what you've got), and you really ought to get BTS, which is less so. And download some fan mods.

Is yours the van with the Picard/Riker '86 bumper sticker?

You can use Ctrl + arrows to rotate camera as well.

Some mods enable full rotation and more steps I believe. And with a ini-file change you can enable flying camera mode after you press a key combo in game (use search).

Top Bottom