Help, game not reading the disc so it won't start!

scooter

Prince
I have had Civ4 for a while, and installed it on my desktop computer (where it worked great). I recently got a new laptop and the desktop is going to be gone soon, so I was going to have to play Civ4 on the laptop. I installed it and the installation process had no issues, so when I switched from disc 2 back to disc 1 to play the game, the autorun came up like usual and I hit play. The loading page popped up like usual, then it just stayed. It never progressed to the part where it loads the XML and Python script and the resources, and after about 30-40 seconds, the message popped up saying it couldn't locate the CD-ROM, except I had the correct disc (Disc 1). I took the same disc (to make sure it wasn't the disc's problem), and put in the other computer that had Civ4 installed, and it worked just fine. Do you know what would cause this? It doesn't even seem to be a system requirement issue (which I'm pretty sure all requirements are exceeded), because it just won't read the disc. I know the right disc is in and nothing is wrong with it, because the game installed just fine, and it works fine in my other computer, does anybody know how to fix this?

I had the exact problem when I installed Civ4. If I recall it was a problem with disc-protection. Your current CD/DVD drive isnt compatible with the protection methods used on the Civ4 disc(or something like that).

In order to remedy this, I downloaded the latest version of Daemon Tools and also created a mini-image of the Civ4 disc. I had a site bookmarked that showed how to create these mini-images, let me look and see if I can find it. I'll post the link below.

Hopefully this helps.

Ok, I couldn't find the links for how to create the mini-images, but I found a link to download an already created one.

Quick question to the Civfanatics moderators, is it illegal to post links to Daemon Tools, mini-images, and sd4hide?

I am not a mod/admin but they don't really like seeing that stuff here. Most likely posts will be erased and thread closed. Use PM perhaps.

Alright, thats what I was afraid of. Unfortunately, those are the tools I need to use to get Civ4 to run for me :/

To the original poster, if the link that Crunch provided doesn't work for you, send me a PM.

so you're saying if I went into task manager and ended the ~df394b process it might work? (I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that process and wondering what it was when I was trying to solve the problem) Also, is there a driver of some sort I can download to make my CD/DVD drive compatible with the copy-protection? I guess I could use daemon tools, but thats kind of a last option (at least I prefer). I sent an email to 2k games about 20hrs ago or so, but I don't expect much help from them, and haven't gotten a response back yet anyway.

BTW, the CD/DVD drive is a TSST, I thought I heard that their drives were known for the copy-protection issues. Just figured I'd add this if this means something I can/can't do to fix the issue.

i had a similar problem with Rome: Total War (and Barbarian Invasion X-pack). i also had D-tools installed at the time, and i found that uninstalling it would sometimes solve the problem. granted, i had to do this complex copy-and-overwrite-to-desktop-quasi-install later on, but i still would recommend unistalling daemon tools and seeing if it'll work then. good luck!

Top Bottom