Help! I'm being bitten...

Dog of War

Chieftain
...by lots of things!

I'm really more a "puppy of War" than a real Dog.

BACKGROUND:

New to the game...still trying to figure it out...able to "win" at the easiest level but ranked "Pathetic". Generally play as the Romans cause I like them. Playing with the 1.7 patch.

A couple of things:

1) When I go to build Wonders, they frequently say they can't continue and switch to other stuff. Why? How can I prevent that?

2) I tend to try and concentrate my wonders around my capital. Is that a good idea?

3) Is there a "proven" method to kick some major a$$ in the early goings of a game or do you just wait all coiled up and hissing (thanks to REO Speedwagon) then strike out and wipe someone off the face of your earth?

4) Is there a way to move ALL the units at once? It's a real drag (pun intended) to move 100 riflemen in an invasion.

Thanks!

War Puppy

:egypt:

Originally posted by Dog of War
...by lots of things!

I'm really more a "puppy of War" than a real Dog.

BACKGROUND:

New to the game...still trying to figure it out...able to "win" at the easiest level but ranked "Pathetic". Generally play as the Romans cause I like them. Playing with the 1.7 patch.

A couple of things:

1) When I go to build Wonders, they frequently say they can't continue and switch to other stuff. Why? How can I prevent that?

Has another civ accomplished this wonder while you were building it?

2) I tend to try and concentrate my wonders around my capital. Is that a good idea?

In general, yes. You want your best cities building your wonders, and typically those are the ones near your capital. Also, those cities are probably the furthest from your borders with other civs.

3) Is there a "proven" method to kick some major a$$ in the early goings of a game or do you just wait all coiled up and hissing (thanks to REO Speedwagon) then strike out and wipe someone off the face of your earth?

There is no 'proven' method, but there are good strategies. Try looking in the Strategy Articles Sub-Forum (above these threads) and searching for posts by Aeson and Sir Pleb, they're very good. Also, try going to www.apolyton.com , click on "Civ3" and then "Strategy" for some good threads, especially the three by a character known as Velociryx.

4) Is there a way to move ALL the units at once? It's a real drag (pun intended) to move 100 riflemen in an invasion.

Yes, press 'j', and all the units of one type on a square will goto wherever you click. Watch out, because in 1.17, it will unfortify fortified troops and move them too, which you may not want to happen.

Thanks!

War Puppy

:egypt:

Your welcome!

Originally posted by Dog of War

I hate it when that happens. :mad:
Make sure you pay close attention to everything your foreign advisor says, especially if he just pops up out of the blue. If he tells you another civ has built a wonder you were building, go straight to that city & change it, otherwise your ******ed domestic adviser will change it in such a way that you will loose hundreds of shields.

You often lose hundreds of shields anyway. Some of those shields should be converted in wealth. It is a killer to have all that production go down the drain, especially as you can't hurry production or stockpile caravans as we could in Civ 2.

You can always desperately try to buy some new tech that has a Wonder connected to it before having to switch or lose.

Oh, get rid of patch 1.17. It truly sucks. better 1.16 if you don't have 1.21.

Originally posted by Dog of War: War Puppy

1) You can not prevent other countries from building wonders. You can only rush wonders with a Great Leader and then your wonder is done the next turn. One alternative is to have a large city that is not your capital start a palace. Then you can switch the palace to a wonder.

2) Your workers should be connecting your cities as their first priority. Then build roads in every hex that it being worked in all cities. Mine grass at the beginning of the game.

3) There are several methods to get an early warmonger start.
Look for BillChin postings on this forum.

Originally posted by john heidle
Mine grass at the beginning of the game.

You should usually just mine grass with a shield.

Be sure to have embassies in every other civ - that way you'll be notified of who is building wonders, and when they're completed. Use the F7 key to see who you're competing with for wonders. Stacked movement is only available in the 1.21 patch. Unless you have a Mac, use the latest patch. Combine building infrastructure (culture/science/finance), trading, conquering, worker improvements, and citizen moods to improve your finances and total score. And read the other threads and strategy guides on this forum.

While you are in a Despotism, it is worthless to irrigate grasslands. It is of limited value to mine hills. Mining grasslands, espacially the ones that have a shield already there, is useful, but once you're out of a Despotism, then you will want to go back and change all those non-shield grasslands to irrigation.

Trees are good for you until you develop railroads. At that point, the AI clears forests like nobody's business and mines just about everything, and puts rails everywhere.

Mining grasslands is faster than mining hills.

Irrigate Plains only if that is the only way to get enough food.

Always try to get at least 2 resources within your city's radius. Fish in lakes, cattle, and anything else that gives you extra food are great to boosting your population up, which then allows you to work more tiles and boost your production.

Building cities on rivers means you get a free aqueduct; invaluable for a city with lots of food around. Allows you to build hydro plants and nuclear plants later on.

Top Bottom