Help installing BTS

I'm seeing the same issue. I've ensured that I indeed have the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\1.74

I've also tried removing other entries that read 1.74 and have since rebooted after making the registry change.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Something that may be different with other posters is that in addition to Civ IV, I've also installed Warlords.

Thanks.

Same problem as the original post :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have Civ IV installed. When I try to install BTS, it tells me that 1) "there's a newer version of Civ IV available -- installing now." Then it tells me "The patch failed to install. Aborting installation!" I have downloaded both the 161 and 174 patches, but when I try to install those, it tells me that "the setup has detected that no version of Civ IV has been installed. This update requires that a previous version of the application be installed."

I think I solved the problem. After reading through some other posts on the forum I came to the conclusion that the patches posted on the firaxis websites DO NOT work with games that have been directly downloaded from other sites as opposed to purchased in a store. In my case, I downloaded vanilla civ IV and Warlords from the Alienware site.

In order to get BTS to install I first needed to get the latest patch from Alienware's download site (Civ4_dd_patch1.74.exe & Civ4Warlords_dd_patch2.13.exe).

The same patches from Firaxis's website failed to install with the error message that "no verion of Civilization is installed"

Once I was patched to the latest versions, BTS installed sucessfully.

you people are my heros!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you soo much :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

I downloaded civ 4 from ebgames(trygames media) back in jan. 07 for 40$. for a while I enjoyed the game with no problem, because i never tried to play online and i never bought any expansion. bout a week ago I finally tried to play online, but it needed to download a patch, and the patch didnt work. Then i bought beyond the sword the other day and it wont install without the patch. I downloaded the 1.74 patch from the trygames website. BTS still wont install, saying it still needs the patch.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do???

IMO this i just ridiculous. Why doesn't it say this anywhere on trygames, or ebgames website. Its like its not even a legit copy of the game, like i might as well have tried to download it for free off of limewire or something. I paid 40$ for this. Its the last time I ever download a game from anywhere on the web ever again.

-EDIT-

Trygames response to the issue:

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, any retail expansion pack will not work with the
downloadable version of the original games (ActiveMARK version). Only
the ActiveMark version of the expansion pack - when/if available - will

run with our version of the original game.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Patrick,
Trymedia Games Customer Support

Trymedia is pretty much defrauding its customers there - but that is unfortunately their business model apparently - now for BtS installs: first install the patch I linked to in the below quote, then have a look in the windows registry for all civilization and/or firaxis entries you can find and post them here - maybe we can figure something out :confused:

Welcome to Civfanatics in any case :)

unfortunately the digital distribution is messed up. You will need to manually patch the game using this patch:
http://d.trymedia.com/d/take2/bnd_d_174/take2/CivilizationIV_patch174.exe

This will take care of the patching, but so far no one has posted a solution for installing BtS from a disc onto a digital version of Civ4 - I assume that in some cases it works, but in others it fails.
You could try running the above patch and then trying to install BtS but I fear that one would probably have to do quite heavy registry edits within windows to get the BtS installer to recognize the digital version of Civ4

Top Bottom