1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Help please

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by wazzbot, May 4, 2017.

1. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

If you add in slaves to a city, then the citizens added in have a different nationality than your own. This makes your cities which are not your capital vulnerable to a flip, if that tribe of the slave's nationality still exists.

BlackHat likes this.
  2. BlackHat

BlackHat Chieftain

I wouldn't call it micro management. Just do it yourself (i.e. don't automate - is that what happened in Dariush Kabir?), and have a goal. It's possible to micromanage workers (and it's really tedious), but that's not what you need to do here. Just don't automate and me reasonable.

Slaves are workers captured or purchased from another civ. I'm sure you're familiar. They have two distinct advantages over native workers: zero unit support, and because they work slower (3 times slower than industrious workers) per unit the lost turn to move them onto an unroaded tile is less costly. So if you have 3 slaves, they can move onto and road 3 tiles in 7 total turns while a single native worker would be able to road 2 tiles in 6 turns, and would cost 6 gold. It's not huge, but it helps save worker turns here and there.

I think the question was why you're using cavalry and not true defenders like rifles. The military looks strange to me too. You need riflemen in the worst way. You can upgrade your seven defenders, but given the length of your border and the nearness to your cities you need more than normal.

3. Spoonwood

I'd say this is correct in general.

This will work for Persia under a Republic which is what wazzbot has been playing, but even then there's still a qualification. That's so long as he continues to have to pay unit support, which might reasonably be a long time, though maybe not also.

BlackHat likes this.
  4. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

I have always wondered (and never seen the answer anywhere): can the Forbidden Palace city flip? In the recent GOTM 158 (Deity) I took the chance and rushed the FP in captured Berlin, when I got a very early MGL. It took around 10 turns afterwards to completely eliminate Germany (and I had other towns flip back to them during that time!), but Berlin never flipped, so I wonder whether I just was a very lucky bastard in that game, or whether the FP is indeed "flip-resistant".... (And I would assume an AI capital to have accumulated more culture than most of their other towns, so the flip risk should be higher than for their other towns.)

BlackHat likes this.
  5. justanick

justanick Chieftain

6. tjs282

tjs282 Mega P. Terror

I've definitely had my FP-town flip in a Vanilla game, a long time ago. Playing as Persia, on a Tiny Continents map, it took me a while to tear through the Indians (not being a particularly good warmonger, and I think I didn't get Iron, either) and make a start on Germany. By the time I'd reached Berlin, Otto had had time to build 4 GWonders there, and it had a hell of a lot of accumulated Culture. So I MGL-built my FP there, in the hope that would stop it from flipping... Just imagine my surprise... :eek: :faint:

But maybe they changed it in Conquests...?

7. Spoonwood

8. justanick

justanick Chieftain

What makes you so sure about that? In Vanilla the VP was a true second capital, yet tjs282 states that it had flipped.

9. wazzbot

wazzbot Chieftain

By god, not just city micro-management that's a pain in the arse and difficult, worker micro-management is too.

Have started clumping my workers together. Have realized that slaves can be useful when irrigating after replaceable parts, as they deal in half-units and irrigation goes from 3 worker turns to 1.5, so it's a waste to use 2 regular workers. I assume that there are tons of small tricks like that that I have yet to learn.

10. wazzbot

wazzbot Chieftain

Also, after civil engineering (was totally not maximizing that tech) far-flung small coastal/island cities become much easier - don't bother with growth at first, set your sole citizen to be a civil engineer and build a harbor quickly. This sort of thing looks like it should be very important - does anyone know of a guide or article to citizens not working their territories?

11. CKS

CKS Chieftain

I've definitely had the forbidden palace flip (several times, in fact), and I'm 95% sure that at least some of them were playing Conquests.

The city with the palace cannot flip, and the distance in the flipping equation is the distance to_ the palace_, the forbidden palace doesn't count. Justanick's posted thread is quit clear on this.

An interesting thing in the thread was a case of flipping to a settler in a boat. That would tick me off.

Unrelated to flipping:
    I remember speculation that an automated worker might preferentially road tiles with as-yet-unknown resources, just as the AI workers seem to. Has anyone tested this? I'm sure that by the time I have time to test this, I'll have completely forgotten about it.