Help with new unit, please?!

JohnnyBeGood

Chieftain
What I wanted:
A submarine that has it's nationality hidden like a Privateer that can carry nukes and missles. That way, I can be like a 21st century pirate and bomb whoever without them knowing who did it.

What I got:
A submarine that does nothing! I can't load missiles onto it, even while docked in a city. It can't attack anyone without declaring war. Other than that, it works fine.

What I did:
Duplicated the game's submarine, but skinned it with the Attack submarine. Changed the "hidden nationality" in the "unitinfos" file from 0 to 1, which should have made it work.

The questions:
Is this thread in the right area?
Since this unit is just a reskinned submarine and nothing was changed in the file, why can't it carry missiles?
Is there an another file that states on what ships missiles are carried.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Johnny

What you need to look for and edit is the following under your unit in the XML file:

Spoiler :
Code:
			<bRivalTerritory>1</bRivalTerritory>
Enables the unit to travel in enemy territory, just like a spy or submarine.

<bHiddenNationality>1</bHiddenNationality>
Enables the hidden nationality found on Privateers.

<bAlwaysHostile>1</bAlwaysHostile>
Enables the unit to attack at will, without declaring war if you have HiddenNationality on.

<SpecialCargo>SPECIALUNIT_MISSILE</SpecialCargo>
Enables the unit to carry missiles.

<DomainCargo>DOMAIN_AIR</DomainCargo>
This is used in conjunction with SpecialCargo, to distinguish Missile Air Units from Aircraft Air Units.

<iCargo>3</iCargo>
The number of missiles that can be carried by the unit.

Perhaps, you want a missile with hidden nationality to prevent DoWs when firing.

Yea, i was thinking about that too, there was something cheezy about his plan ;)

Well yea, the missiles need hidden nationality aswell in order to work like you wanted. This could be changed on the original missiles though, it wouldnt make any difference (i think).

Thanks for quick and helpful replies.
Yes, I did edit the XML file. I actually just copied the game's "submarine" XML in "unitInfos". I did change the "hidden nationality" part but nothing else. But it still won't let missiles be loaded onto it.

I can't try anything to it tonight, but will work on it tomorrow.

As for my motives, I just want a nuclear, unseeable, 21st century privateer:eek: What's DoW?

If and when it works as planned, I'll post it for all to enjoy!!! (Dr. Evil laugh)

Thanks again,
johnny

DoW= Declaration of War

I also go with, you may well need hidden nationality missiles. There may be a problem with loading your missile unit on a "barb" submarine. Don't think I have tried, but can you stack privateers with Frigates? If not than that is more than likely the problem.

I may try now.

Don't think I have tried, but can you stack privateers with Frigates?

Yes, you can.

I think missiles have to be the problem. And I'm thinking nukes in particular are a special unit with special diplomatic effects and python coding, it might cause strange problems if they are made hidden nationality. Might get away with cruise missiles though.

Apart from the technical problems ... hidden nationality sea units in the modern era seems a little far-fetched, when we've got satellites that see where the things are launched from, where they go for supplies and overhauls, etc.

Yes, you can.
Apart from the technical problems ... hidden nationality sea units in the modern era seems a little far-fetched, when we've got satellites that see where the things are launched from, where they go for supplies and overhauls, etc.

Especially nuclear capable Submarines. I've heard of modern day pirates but certainly nothing that lethal. Well except in some James Bond movie.

But a submarine would be the sneakiest way to strike someone. If there are other possible submarines in the area, it could be hard to tell who did it.

But a submarine would be the sneakiest way to strike someone. If there are other possible submarines in the area, it could be hard to tell who did it.

Which is why they would be an overpowered unit. It's one thing to mod the game, but any changes should keep game balance in mind. This idea definitely doesn't, nor is it even realistic. Considering that the AI doesn't even use Privateers all that well, this would give the human player a considerable advantage.

What did I start? lol

I love Civ4 and BTS and have played so many "realistic" games. But, the time has come for a round of "What if...."

Here's a scenario:
I'm in the middle of a game, I hate Civ "A" and Civ "B".
They hate each other as well and it is to my advantage that they kill each other. I find that CivA has some subs around CivB. I sneak in and launch a few nukes at CivB.
CivB thinks CivA did it and all hell breaks loose! (Dr. Evil laugh).

This sort of thing is one of the biggest Pros about the game---all of the possibilities. I just want to have a little fun with the game right now.

I will try the suggestions mentioned in the other replies tonight and report on any progress. I'm going to try to see what happens if you change nukes and guided missiles to "hidden nationality" and see if they can be loaded onto the pirate sub.

Thanks to all. But please remember, it's just a game. A really good one, but just a game.

Johnny

I've made some progress:

My submarine IS now a pirate ship but still can't be loaded with missiles.
What I did was changed the privateer to a sub, reskinned it and changed some things to it.
Tomorrow, I'll mess with the missiles= try to add hidden nationality to them.

Let you know what happens

Which is why they would be an overpowered unit. It's one thing to mod the game, but any changes should keep game balance in mind. This idea definitely doesn't, nor is it even realistic. Considering that the AI doesn't even use Privateers all that well, this would give the human player a considerable advantage.
My point was a response to the realism. It would be the most realistic for hidden nationality. personally I think that type of unit is more intended for multiplayer. AI can't use them well (and don't blame you, even if you are the only one astro), and their best use would be to mess with peoples minds.

I want a modern ship that can pillage trade routes!

in the mods unit section there is a French Underwater Cruiser-the Surcouf
It has a couple of cruiser size guns, torpedoes and is submersible. Named after a famous Corsair (pirate) , it was to be a modern raider. (if your looking for a unique unit that is already made- stats you can add- but it did have an observation plane as well and i do not know how to add that -

Edit- here is an image. created by Coyote

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=177701&d=1211494148

I did it. My pirate sub can now be loaded with and launch nukes and missiles.

I did have to change "hide nationality" and "always hostile"
in both the sub's and missiles' info files.

Thanks to all that helped.

Johnny

I did it. My pirate sub can now be loaded with and launch nukes and missiles.

I did have to change "hide nationality" and "always hostile"
in both the sub's and missiles' info files.

Thanks to all that helped.

Johnny

You're welcome :)

Top Bottom