Help!

RPG

King
My hard drive failed, everything was lost. I have to buy Civ 4 again and was wondering Civ 4 Complete on Amazon or the the Steam version of the game and it's expansions?

Price isn't a factor so I was wondering which version will be easier to mod? Will it make a difference? Does either version come updated to 3.19?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I like having a disk. It is really a matter of personal preference which way you go. Disk can be installed on all the computers that you have (now and in the future), if you like. The files are all in the standard locations, unlike the digital downloads which are placed in special locations by the download service. This makes mods no problem. Disk may be current or may need patching, depending on how long it has been in the seller's inventory. However, the patch can easily be downloaded from CivFanatics. Installing it is just a matter of running it. You can burn the patch to a disk after downloading it and you'll have it if needed in the future, as well. Judging by recent requests for help, both here and in the technical forum, some digital downloads are also not the latest version and need to be patched with the update. However, the standard patch does not work with them and you have to get the patch from the download source.

I guess you lost the disks then. I prefer digital downloads now. Just so much more convenient and you don't ever have to worry about keeping track of disks and the clutter.

Too bad you missed the Steam sale. Gamergate.com is still running their Summer Sale, but IV for PC is not currently reduced. That could change any day, so keep an eye on their sight daily.

However, $19 on Amazon is not a bad price. On sale, it would probably be around $10 or less.

You really can't go wrong with any option. Steam does have a bit more folders to drill through, but everything works on that version.

I'd go with whatever best price you can get.

I own IV on disk, but the version I use is Gamefly.com (which was the old Direct2Drive)

I think there's hardly a better bargain than this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Civilizatio...375795953&sr=8-1&keywords=civ+iii+iv+complete

The Civ IV part comes fully patche and without any DRM or copy protection. As an added bonus you also get Civ IV Colonization plus C3C. Install it once and no disk needed ever again for playing - and if you want to play it totally save then lock away the disk in a bank safe. Not sure how STEAM-DRM should be any better than your very own copy protection free install disk.

I have no problem with buying games from steam as long as they don't require steam active to run. I load steam, buy them, then eradicate steam from my system...which is harder to do than eradicating most recognized malware.

No kidding, especially in the registry <shudders>

I have no problem with buying games from steam as long as they don't require steam active to run.

Well, I have no problem with acquiring a limitied licence from STEAM to use a game based on lend and lease agreement - as long as I only have to pay lend and lease price for it. Which I actually did for Civ V (5,99 &#8364;) as well as Gods + Kings (2,50 &#8364;). If they don't want to sell me the game so I really own it and can use it on my terms whenever I want to play it (and not just whenever some brainless server on the other side of the world, that might or might not be around in five years, "thinks" I am entiteled to do so) - I am not willing to pay full purchase price (30 - 50 bucks or so) for it either. It's as simple as that...

Well, I have no problem with acquiring a limitied licence from STEAM to use a game based on lend and lease agreement - as long as I only have to pay lend and lease price for it. Which I actually did for Civ V (5,99 €) as well as Gods + Kings (2,50 €). If they don't want to sell me the game so I really own it and can use it on my terms whenever I want to play it (and not just whenever some brainless server on the other side of the world, that might or might not be around in five years, "thinks" I am entiteled to do so) - I am not willing to pay full purchase price (30 - 50 bucks or so) for it either. It's as simple as that...

In an old PolyCast they talked about what would happen if:
1) Steam automatically updated and caused problems with PBEMs/Mods etc.
2) Would Steam provide registry release codes so the gamer could continue to play the game should a) Steam stop supporting it or b) Steam closed.

I don't use Steam yet so can't discuss further.

2) Would Steam provide registry release codes so the gamer could continue to play the game should a) Steam stop supporting it or b) Steam closed.

Although it's a bit off-topic: but should STEAM ever fold due to financial problems - I dare say the last issue they will deal with or care about in a crisis situation like that (where rats start leaving the sinking ship a.s.a.p.) is the topic of handing out registry codes so gamers can continue playing all the games they spent their hard earned cash on. And even if so: with STEAM gone they won't be able to reinstall all the games they spent their hard earned cash on onto the next piece of hardware they'll ever gonna buy. With STEAM gone all those games will simply be dead and gone sooner or later...

Top Bottom