1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hemah

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by cypher132, Jan 1, 2009.

1. sirWOW

sirWOW Chieftain

I don't really agree with this

2. cypher132

cypher132 Chieftain

Personally, I'd just like to know what the Overlords are and how they became known to the beings of Erebus. I can live with just that instead of all the other stuff. Who are the Overlords?

3. DioBrando

DioBrando Chieftain

I really think that the Overlords should remain a mystery. As far as we know, the overlords could all just be one of Perpentach's sick jokes that he forgot about, which then became real because of his grave schizophrenia and skills in the arts. The one thing we do know is that the overlords, in concept, are pretty much the same as in the cthulhu mythos, what with the tentacles, dreams, whispering and such.

If you *know* the works of Lovecraft, you will *know* the overlords.

4. Love

Love Chieftain

The overlords was a civ in FFH 1

5. cypher132

cypher132 Chieftain

Yes, but it still doesn't answer who they are. I know they're like octopuses, but other than that, I have no real idea and it's driving me crazy. Isn't there some information that Kael can let slip or something locked away in the brain of the Magister?

6. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Chieftain

Humm sounds like you may find out soon enough :p

7. Atnanor

Atnanor +2 Beer Affinity

Mmmm... I think their aboleths. That would be more interesting then just some ripoff of Lovecraft.

8. Tortanick

Tortanick Chieftain

Personally I'm happy thinking they're are race of reasonably magically powerful and rather chaotic octopuses who found Dalain sleeping and decided to use his power for themselves by whispering in his ear. Since then they've developed a real god complex.

9. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

They are actually tiny shrimps, approximately 1mm in diameter, but with incredible magical powers.
    Spoiler :
    Nah, I made that up. Sucker!

10. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

This being the OO, I will eat my hat if anyone can conclusively prove they aren't.

11. Tyrs

Tyrs Chieftain

Most likely, they don't have a physical embodiment. However, everything we DO know about the OO suggested that whatever is most likely in any reasonable circumstance is obviously highly unlikely. Which would then reverse itself. And again. Forever.

12. Verdian

Verdian Chieftain

When in doubt, turn to Wikipedia.

I found two references in Judaism to Hemah, and a bunch of their aspects overlap, so I am going to assume they are the same person and shove both of them together.

Hemah is an angel, made by God on the first day of creation. He is an angel of death that is in charge of collecting the souls of beasts and men. He seems to be an angel of punishment and wrath.

Sources:
    Spoiler :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_(personification)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samael

So, as Kael sometimes borrows lore from other mythos, and taking what we know about Hemah already... Hemah could be an angel of Danalin unintentionally created to punish someone (Danalin himself? Creation? Hastur?). We know that Danalin is angry at the death of his people, so there is the wrath aspect of his creation. He could be trying to find (and collect) the souls of the Aifons to take to Danalin's vault.

Of course, it could also be a random name that Kael liked. :lol:

About the Octopus Overlords... I wish there was more Cthulian mythos tied in with them. I feel like there should be more madness and less... octopus. I know the religion was named after a forum, but the name has always bothered me. It seems out of place. :rolleyes:

13. wilboman

wilboman Hibernorse Frost Giant

As far as I know, Danalin is not angry, just really, really sad and generally fed up with everything. Hence the sleeping.

14. Verdian

Verdian Chieftain

That is true. But in sadness over death, there is usually anger as well. Perhaps Hastur brought forth some of this emotion with his whisperings, and that is why Hemah was just recently created (or I assume he was. I think he grew up normally...).

15. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Well, Danalin is Subdueded Emotion, such as the love of a couple married for 50 years, or the happness of seaing images from you distant past, so I tend to think his fealings about the Aifon are less anry or basic even saddness then resignation (he knows he can't bring them back), and an anger more akin to bitterness.

16. Lade

Lade Chieftain

I want to know what happens

Spoiler :
    After the black tower scenario, but your never told

17. Kenjister

Kenjister Swimmer

whoa, I completely forget about that!
    so could Danalin's Archangel (forgot the name) do anything about Hastur?
    you can't leave us hanging like this Kael! That scenario line was hard!

18. MacMoney

MacMoney Chieftain

I agree with this. In fact, I would like it better if we knew less about the Overlords. The enigma and not knowing or comprehending is what made Lovecraft's eldritch beings so great and enchanting. The fact that there is something that is beyond our imagination, our wildest dreams. Something so beyond our scope that it doesn't even pay us attention.