Highways vs Railroads

AndarielHalo

Prince
Which is better? Apparently I can build highways over railroads, but I don't understand which is the superior one. Railroads appear ahead of highways in terms of left to right, with Cart Path being the least, and on the left, and the movement says that Railroads allow 10 paces/turn travel, while highways cut travel time by 1/4th

Yet Railroads are much more expensive, in terms of gold and length of time it takes to build them.

So which should I build? Does building highways over railroads eliminate the railroad benefits, or add on to them?

Should I start with highway building on new tiles or with railroads?

That didn't actually answer any of his questions :)

It depends on the tile and improvment.

Basically, I would build railroad on production tiles (mines definitely, industry?), and highways on food tiles (farms in the first place)

Besides, I always build one or two lines of railroad through my whole empire, to get fast transportation of units in case of emergency.

It depends on the tile and improvment.

Basically, I would build railroad on production tiles (mines definitely, industry?), and highways on food tiles (farms in the first place)

Besides, I always build one or two lines of railroad through my whole empire, to get fast transportation of units in case of emergency.

Do they stack or do they interfere with each other?

(Haven't gotten that far. Keep starting over due to a new release or something else happens.)

It's either one or the other, so no overlapping.

No overlapping??? Meaning I've basically been wasting my time by glossing over railroads with highways, building railroads on Mines for the +2 bonus hammers, then building highways on top of that, thinking I'd get an extra +1 bonus hammer on top of the railroads?

So, build railways on production tiles, build motorways on food tiles and make sure that you have a railway connecting every city in your empire :p

Top Bottom