Hippus Neighbors: Ruining your game since 2005

I really love to pay as hippus, but I usually end up fighting the other hippus leader, if it is one in the map.
But the hostitle hippus luckily mess with more than one civ at the same time ;) Gang up on them!

Loki is more annoying than an army of hippus horsemen IMHO. It may be a fun unit for some, and he may be fun to play with, but having him against is just a plain and useless pain in the butt.

For me, I repeat, an enemy civ is supposed to be annoying, ruinous and a general pita to deal with. That's the fun.

If the Hippus were hobbled in some future patch, then I'd have to pass on the patch.

I've had a lovely game just recently playing on a map that dropped me (as Ljosalfar with Thessa) on the end of a peninsula - I got the bejesus kicked out of me by Orthus and just barely clung on, but it was worth it because Acheron appeared in one of the barb cities in the pocket Orthus propped up and on the far side of them the Hippus under Tasunke... and on the far side of the Hippus, Clan of Embers under Sheelba!

Now, while I've turned to OO and become the zombie cthuloid sea elves clinging to small rocks and trying to claw my way back into the game, Tasunke went on a massive rampage and started trying to carry on a campaign me with supply lines running through Acherons domain while on the far side CoE have them tied down in a bitter war of attrition with cities trading over and back. Life expectancy of a Hippus horseman is not good.

I've no chance of winning the game but its rather entertaining just to watch Tasunke and Sheelba at daggers drawn while hapless Hippus get fed into the quasi-permanent forest fire outside Acherons gate. Mostly we sit under water and gurgle.

Hippus as neighbors?
In my last monarch game, 2 axes arrived from the dungeon event (lizards/dwarfs) and a warrior were enough to conquer their only city. And a good city, like almost always the capitals are.

AI Hippus are fun to fight against. At least on reasonable difficulty levels. It all comes down to making sure you can counterattack, and not just hang behind city walls.

.... muahahaha :p

I think the real reason Hippus are so powerful is that they get Horses for free from their palace. Without immediate, unpillageable access to their primary strategic resource, they'd be a lot more manageable.

I think the real reason Hippus are so powerful is that they get Horses for free from their palace. Without immediate, unpillageable access to their primary strategic resource, they'd be a lot more manageable.
It's just too bad if you dont get horses then, you'll suck :=)
I like hippus, dont change them!

Personally I fine having Horses instead of another mana resource to be a disadvantage. Having horses can be an advantage early on, but there is no cumulative benefit and horses aren't usually that hard to find so in the mid to late game it weakens them.

In my version, the Hippus get Mind mana (as they are a greedy people) instead of horses. Their palace also provides free stables in all their cities.

I don't really like the Khazad starting with gold instead of another mana either. In my version, they instead get a second Earth mana.

hippus absolutely shape the way I place my units when they are early neighbours. :)

if possible, I station a unit next to their realm so I get advance warning when they pull an american on me.

still ... very annoying bastards.

wtf is "pull an american"?

hippus absolutely shape the way I place my units when they are early neighbours. :)

if possible, I station a unit next to their realm so I get advance warning when they pull an american on me.

still ... very annoying bastards.

As a citizen of an American Neighbour, I get very nervous when people say things like that.:p

So, where do I find Cultuums version? is there a relatively recent public version for a downloading somewhere?

It isn't one version, it is several versions, mostly based on outdated version of FfH and FF, that I'm mostly just playing around with instead of seriously modding. I waiting for someone to release an unaltered FfH gameplay modmod of FF before I start again in earnest. The task of stripping out all the FF content I don't really want to include in my version seems rather daunting, but there are some things I really like to do that just aren't possible without Xienwolf's base code.

Top Bottom