historical colonization micromod

I came back to the mod after changing some code. Is it possible to play this at the latest version? I'm currently playing at the version you suggested (1.16.4) but there's this bug in the game that wasn't fixed yet (the one where cascading defensive pacts were disabled at the creation of the Apostolic Palace)

Leoreth
do you know how to add a city growth multiplier, that slows a city's growth if the owner has a capital on another continent ? A constant will do, e.g. 0.33.
i'd like to use this in my mod, if possible a small touch that doesn't change too many files. Thanks!
You would have to do that in the DLL.

Something I also noticed in my playthrough is AI America nearly being dominated all the time. Like all their cities (the ones you placed) are getting conquered very easily. Upon checking the codes, I saw that the cities you placed have no mlitary units and only placed workers on them. They can't work anything as they get easily conquered by the rising Mexicans with their army to the south. The Americans themselves lack the army to counter them nor the infrastructure to move their units on time.

I suggest placing at least 2 minutemen on all new cities produced to at least prevent Mexico or Spain getting the newly built western cities.

You would have to do that in the DLL.

thanks. I'll probably not do that then.

Something I also noticed in my playthrough is AI America nearly being dominated all the time. Like all their cities (the ones you placed) are getting conquered very easily. Upon checking the codes, I saw that the cities you placed have no mlitary units and only placed workers on them. They can't work anything as they get easily conquered by the rising Mexicans with their army to the south. The Americans themselves lack the army to counter them nor the infrastructure to move their units on time.

I suggest placing at least 2 minutemen on all new cities produced to at least prevent Mexico or Spain getting the newly built western cities.
valid point.

I came back to the mod after changing some code. Is it possible to play this at the latest version? I'm currently playing at the version you suggested (1.16.4) but there's this bug in the game that wasn't fixed yet (the one where cascading defensive pacts were disabled at the creation of the Apostolic Palace)

if you want to give it a go here is a probably working version. It should work with the repo version of today.
Also US gets some Riflemen so they should be much more aggressive.
Note: i don't have time to test this, so no strings attached, this is the result of some fast work in BeyondCompare :)

Attachments

• untested.zip
    40.7 KB · Views: 26
added v8(see 1st post)

egypt colonization and slight map rework -> leads to less city spamming and better odds of having important cities like Alexandria. Also the annoying desert cities (e.g. Mut) are far less likely to be settled because the oasis is moved deeper into desert.
nubians as indies -> buhen / khartoum, to give Egypt something to worry about
more indies in ancient china -> the yangtze delta cities will offer ancient china some resistance.
wyoming small touches
ancient greece small colonization changes (increased odds of Byzantion spawning in the right place)
usa now colonizes with riflemen, making it more aggressive/dangerous towards Mexico/Spain/France

One thing I have noticed is that even with the added riflemen and the conquerers for western expansion, the U.S still can't seem to conquer their western territories. I checked why and I noticed that nearly most of the western cities (the one colonized by Spain) have a lot of defenses compared to vanilla DOC. The city bonus from spawning seems to have backfired for the U.S. a lot.

One thing I have noticed is that even with the added riflemen and the conquerers for western expansion, the U.S still can't seem to conquer their western territories. I checked why and I noticed that nearly most of the western cities (the one colonized by Spain) have a lot of defenses compared to vanilla DOC. The city bonus from spawning seems to have backfired for the U.S. a lot.

this is balanced by USA's stronger east coast core.
It also gives both the AI and the player a western colonization race. Furthermore US gets an invasion force with Railroad. On average they get historically strong, altough I agree, Mexico is a bit too strong imo. Might adjust in future revision.

added v9 ( see 1st post for DL)
china independent cities are more aggressive, providing a hammer sink for china.
balkans topology changes (more mountains, less pop, more productive dalmatia)
hittite cities in anatolia
celtic cities and expansion (vienna, gaul, balkans)
greek cities tweaks

Last edited:
added v10 (see 1st post for DL)
scandinavia more mountains + marshes, makes north scandinavia as impossible to travel as in reality. Helsinki becomes a real chokepoint.
no more french saint louis to not starve the us AI.
swedish copper is moved to falun mines.
germany has better colonial names
mombasa named correctly to dar es salaam
extra rainforest to block ethiopia's ahistorical southern expansion
china baiyue in guangzhou
barcelona small resource + geography tweaks.

added v20. Major revision:

Features:
- heavy optimizations for speed, making turn times closer to normal RFC DOC.

- optional colonization rules where colony size depends on technology, region, disease resistance (disabled by default because it increases turn time by ~25%, but can be enabled by setting constMicromodAdjustmentsForColonies = True in Barbs.py).
colonies are limited to size 2 initially.
The limit can be increased by 1, by researching techs like: iFirearms iLogistics iExploration iStatecraft iUrbanPlanning iEconomics iGeography iCivilLiberties iSocialContract iRepresentation iCivilRights
For malaria areas there is also a penalty for each missing tech from: iScientificMethod, iHorticulture, iBiology, iRefrigeration,iMicrobiology
Every 2 improvements in the city radius also increase size by 1
Also heavily populated areas have an increased size limit (e.g. india, china, indonesia, indochina, mexico, bogota, etc)

- scientific and social dark ages where research/gp/culture drops by percentages which depend on tech groups (e.g. north europe, central europe south europe, anatolian, east asia, subsaharan, etc). Very much like EU4. This guarantees a more realistic
game, where Europe starts slowly and explodes during the renaissance and where the Indian/Chinese giants start to heavily slow down in the Renaissance. This make it very hard for some civs. (can be disabled by setting constMicromodAdjustmentsForTech = False in Barbs.py).
tech groups, each with appropiate dark ages. Dark ages vary in strength.
lTechGroupNorthEuro = [iEngland, iVikings]
lTechGroupCentralEuro = [iFrance, iHolyRome, iItaly]
lTechGroupSouthEuro = [iRome, iSpain, iPortugal, iGreece]
lTechGroupEastEuro = [iRussia, iPoland]
lTechGroupMenaNonArab = [iByzantium, iOttomans, iIran]
lTechGroupMenaArab = [iEgypt, iMoors, iArabia]
lTechGroupChina = [iChina, iKorea, iTibet]
lTechGroupSEAsia = [iIndonesia, iKhmer, iThailand]
lTechGroupJapan = [iJapan]
lTechGroupIndia = [iMughals, iIndia, iTamils]
lTechGroupHorde = [iMongols, iTurks]
lTechGroupSubsaharan = [iEthiopia, iMali, iCongo]
lTechGroupNewWorld = [iMaya, iInca, iAztecs]
For details see micromodAdjustmentsForTech in Barbs.py
Descending/rising from a dark age, and its severity (light/normal/severe) are presented with colored messages.

- a northern or central european civ will crusade for the holy land if the holy city is owned by a non northern/central european civ. (can be disabled by setting constMicromodCrusadeEnabled = False in Barbs.py).
First to research CivilService or Fortification gets conquerors on Jerusalem.

Small changes:
-english cities spawn a bit earlier to cut down the number of british spawn settlers
-retroactive spawns in 1700 also work for the player
-iran spawn moved
-ishfahan/shushan moved
-bordeaux respawn if razed
-venice respawn in 1700
-reduced british island spawn troops
-antalya / halicarnassus -> ephesus / izmir + fixed 1700 spawn for ottomans
-resource tweaks and duplicate removal
-minimize random colonization without disabling it (more deterministic)
-buffed up hamburg spawn
-earlier colombian exchange in 1550
-rebalanced many cities

Personal note:
With the default settings i've got some realistic results for 1000, 1200, 1400, 1600, 1700 and 1800, for simulated games on the 600AD scenario (no player involvement).
The 1700AD scenario also looks good.
The 3000AD scenario is always the wackiest but even this one behaved acceptably tech-wise.

added v21
- rebalanced cities
- us gets more conquerors
- small map tweaks

no human intervention, played on 600AD and 1700AD. Added the wonders view to show that they get properly spread and to give an idea of the tech progression speed. E.g. note the long medieval age in europe.
Spoiler :

Last edited:
Spoiler test :
upload_2022-3-29_0-27-22.png

I keep getting this weird error after I installed this mod, anyone know what this means? I just replaced the python files with the new ones, so I can't imagine the download path would be the culprit

added v22
more conqueror events on tech. To disable them for the player, set constMicromodConquerorsForHumanPlayer = False in Barbs.py. By default they are enabled for the player.

America -> Louisiana(on Nationalism), west coast and texas (Railroad), Philippines and Alaska (on Ballistics)
Spain -> additional conquerors on Inca and Mexico (on Exploration)
Ottomans-> conquerors on Levant and Egypt (on Firearms)
England -> Dublin (on CivilService) and north india (on Ballistics)
Italy -> italia (on Nationalism) and Lybia and Ethiopia (on Ballistics)
Japan -> Korea, Philippines, China (on Ballistics)
France -> Indochina, Algeria, Senegal, Mali (on Ballistics)
Russia -> Vladivostok (on Nationalism)
Germany -> St Petersburg, Kiev, Odessa, Novgorod, Stalingrad (on Flight)

added v23
small alaska map touches
conquerors bugfixes
reconquering on nationalism for france, italy, germany, where nationalism played the biggest roles in europe
vietnam war
iraq war
venice/genoa colonialism
portugal-marinid war
arab-berber conflicts
civil wars in india and china, russia, usa
scandinavia more forests

Works now, and the food differences are quite noticable. Can't get to the colonization parts without having an abhorrent experience - It's not the mod's fault - the game keeps randomly freezing (not crashing, literally just freezing) meaning I have to keep reloading and hoping it doesn't crash (looked on the forums for something, someone said that it might be because the Art folder is too large). Good mod though.

Hi just wanna bump this mod.

Top Bottom